Filters question

Talenel

Equipment
B2601HST
Dec 10, 2018
Staples, MN
Anyone use the Baldwin filters? Seems one company are offering filter kits with Baldwin branded filters for engine oil, hst, and hydraulic.

I'm not considering using anything other than Kubota filters/oil at this point because of the warranty, just wanted a feel for the quality of the filters.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Baldwin is on my (very) short list of quality aftermarket filters.
I personally use oem hydraulic filters on my kubotas, but made an uncharacteristic exemption last year that didn’t work out well. I used a no-name hst filter on one of my ZD mowers and it caused immediate operation problems, presumably from fluid starvation or air introduction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I use Baldwin filters at work. I've had really good luck with them. So far 14 years and counting :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The Magnuson-Mognuson Act (or something like that) prohibits OEM manufacturers from mitigating warranty claims arising from the use of aftermarket filters (of any brand), no exceptions.

Having said that I use afrermarket filters for oil filters. Having also said that, I only use Kubota OEM filters on the hydraulic side of both my tractors fr a couple reasons. One, the engineered in flow rate and two, the filter case must withstand the pressure the scavange pump applies to the fluid as t gets filtered. If you look at a Kubota hydraulic oil filter, you'll notice that the case is a heavier gauge and the bulkhead where it attaches is also heavier.

Air intake filters and post filter (the inner smaller filter in the filter housing are also Kubota for the same reason. Far as lube oil filters go, whatever is on sale works. I tend to buy them in quantity anyway. Wix, NAPA, Fram, autolite, whatever. Same goes with my cars and trucks or any engine that has an oil filter and on air filters in my vehicles, again, what is the least expensive, because the 'Act' applies.

Your mileage may vary as does the thickness of your wallet.:eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I use Baldwin on both of my B7100's - only reason I have not used on my Bx25 is I bought several OEM filters at one time.:D

Looking at the cutaways - they seem to be very well made and seem a bit more stout on the outside too.;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The Magnuson-Mognuson Act (or something like that) prohibits OEM manufacturers from mitigating warranty claims arising from the use of aftermarket filters (of any brand), no exceptions.

Having said that I use afrermarket filters for oil filters. Having also said that, I only use Kubota OEM filters on the hydraulic side of both my tractors fr a couple reasons. One, the engineered in flow rate and two, the filter case must withstand the pressure the scavange pump applies to the fluid as t gets filtered. If you look at a Kubota hydraulic oil filter, you'll notice that the case is a heavier gauge and the bulkhead where it attaches is also heavier.

Air intake filters and post filter (the inner smaller filter in the filter housing are also Kubota for the same reason. Far as lube oil filters go, whatever is on sale works. I tend to buy them in quantity anyway. Wix, NAPA, Fram, autolite, whatever. Same goes with my cars and trucks or any engine that has an oil filter and on air filters in my vehicles, again, what is the least expensive, because the 'Act' applies.

Your mileage may vary as does the thickness of your wallet.:eek:
I think that you will find that that is not the case.

Replacement parts, filters or otherwise, must meet manufactures specifications.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
SDT
Respect your opinion as a professional. The correction much appreciated.

Filters may not offer the best opportunity to conserve maintenance costs, personal opinion..

I have a very aggressive Baldwin wholesaler locally, however I find their fluid filters restrictive. Is it possible to pack too much media in a filter housing ?

With specific reference to kubota, suggest OEM for fluid filters. Many members are servicing two or fewer tractors, savings is minimal over time.

Not certain how many OEM's produce their own filters? However the manufacturer must produce them to OEM
specifications. The same filter manufacturer might NOT produce their own labeled filters to those standards required of a specific OEM.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I've sectioned Baldwin, Fram Delco and Hastings. Fram has about half of the pleats that the others do. The rest of them looked good. I generally use OEM, Napa Gold, or Baldwin. I've been known to be frugal, but oil filters are something I'm not willing to go cheap on. Most of my stuff isn't covered by warranty anymore. (see the line about being frugal)

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Was this on eBay?

If so, they have a kit for my G5200. In the photos, the filters looked generic so beware.

Rock Auto has good prices on WIX stuff FYI. WIXs site has an awesome filter lookup too.

(PS, not a fan of the below tank fuel filters for my application since they are too big. I use Kubota for that. Obviously, your mileage may vary.)

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
There are a couple youtube videos on filters.
People have cut them open and shown the inner "parts". Some are very disappointing.

May be something you want to look into.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I think that you will find that that is not the case.

Replacement parts, filters or otherwise, must meet manufactures specifications.
Probably one, should have said your mileage will vary and 2, go read the act, it's online. So long as the filter (any filter) meets or exceeds OEM standards it's good to go. Cases have been adjudicated hundreds f times and the results are always the same.

Of course back when, oil filters were made from gauze and stuffed in a cartridge that you removed and took the gauze out of and most lawnmower engines don't even have a filter in the first place.... explain that.

Don't matter to me, my 65 grand tractors do fine on non oem oil filters and have for the last 10 years of farm work. I work them a heck of a lot harder than any compact tractor gets worked. Like Isaid in my first comment, I use Kubota branded filters in the air cleaner and on the hydraulic side, but not oil filters.

Finally, wonder who makes Kubota Filters, I know they don't so who does????

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This very misleading statement!

#1 It's the Magnuson-moss act

#2 Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

#3 The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Finally, wonder who makes Kubota Filters, I know they don't so who does????
It doesn't really matter who makes them, it only matters that they are made to kubotsa specs, and in messick's video, they have proved time and time again that aftermarket filters do not match OEM standards.

Is this a reason that Kubota would not fulfill a warranty claim, probably not.
But it does leave room for argument if it did end up in court. ;)

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
The critical language, Meets or Exceeds OEM standards and requirements was Erroneously omitted from post #4. (Credit due to SDT)

As a humorous aside, there exists a "Magnuson Act" AKA, The Chinese exclusion repeal act of 1943" . Which simply was immigration legislation.

Without the "Moss" attachment furnished by NIW, folks may be hard pressed to find warranty language intertwined in a Chinese Immigration Quota Federal Statute. Of course, as always, YMMV.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
This very misleading statement!

#1 It's the Magnuson-moss act

#2 Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

#3 The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

Correct. As it was explained to me years ago:
If an aftermarket part (engine oil filter in this example) is determined to be the cause of failure then the warranty can be denied. The manufacturer MAY require the use of oem replacement or maintenance products for warranty coverage, however, they must provide these parts at no cost to the consumer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As majorwager mentioned- I’m servicing 1 BX tractor, and I drive by a dealership to/from work.

I use Kubota filters. Probably costs me an extra $3 per year; maybe $15 if ALL filters get changed that year...

But again, OEM are easy for me to get locally and I have 1 tractor. If they weren’t nearby or I had more tractors, I might look for another brand. But early on I decided OEM would avoid warranty issues.

I went to Rotella T6 early on, but I was pretty confident with that. Nothing but SUDT2.... holy smokes, wasn’t looking to start a fluid debate...![emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It doesn't really matter who makes them, it only matters that they are made to kubotsa specs, and in messick's video, they have proved time and time again that aftermarket filters do not match OEM standards.

Is this a reason that Kubota would not fulfill a warranty claim, probably not.
But it does leave room for argument if it did end up in court. ;)
You use yours and I'll continue to use mine. Fair enough? My units have been out of warranty for years anyway, not that I ever had a warranty issue, except the front spool valve in the front cover on the 9 which was covered by Kubota and the oil filter was not a Kubota filter btw. Not that it mattered because t was a machining defect.

Of course the question is still unanswered about how most small engines don't have oil filters at all and still survive for years and years and that includes small diesels like Hatch for instance.

Sure you'll have a good answer for that.... You usually do.

Far as who makes them, it certainly does matter because if say Baldwin makes them, then go buy Baldwin if they are less expensive. Kubota don't make them so, who does? We all know who makes SUDT and UDT, why not the filters too. I suspect Donaldson makes Kubota air filters bit who knows. Do you? Obe wan Kubota....

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I can’t speak from the kubota side of this l, but I deal with ford and Mazda everyday. Not that engine failures are often but when they do happen under warranty the filter is usually the least of their worries. The manufactures want proof of maintence period (ex: oil change records regardless where they are done) and pictures of the engine,top end especially, to see any sludge build up due to lack of maintenance. In my side of the business I’ve never seen the manufacturer deny the warranty because of the filter as long as the owner can provide maintenece records and the engine isn’t sludged up.