FEL Zerk Accessibility

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
I've been meaning to ask for advice on this, but keep forgetting. I have an LA 1065 and the manual says grease every 10 hours of loader operation. No problem as all but two of the zerks are easy to access. However, the two at the top of the arms, closest to the driver's station, are at an odd angle and I can't get the fitting to attach from the grease gun.

The zerks are angled maybe 45', but that is still not enough. I have tried to extend the arms to different angles and see if that opens up access, no luck. I have also looked at Home Depot, Tractor Supply, and Autozone for a short fitting for my grease gun, but can't find one. Short of replacing the zerk with a 90' zerk, I am at a loss for how to access.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't be the only person who has had this issue, can I?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can get a flexible hose for the grease gun or a flexabe articulating tip, or both.
That's the setup I use and I have no problem getting to all the fittings.

And yes sometimes changing the fittings to 90's or whatever works best too.

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
For 2 fittings, I'd just change them to 90º or 45º fittings. If you are doin lots of greasin, get a kit like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...whiE7C2MjHrQoKCWj2zNhtiJucmab7Kw6IaAlDY8P8HAQ

That's Northern's version, Harbor freight has a cheaper one, but I can't find a link...:D:D

On edit, HF's lube accessory kit is a couple bucks more, but if you gots a coopun, its about the same price, at the store...

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Concerning using a hose on your grease gun---make certain you get a quality hose, perhaps 10,000-psi rated if I remember correctly, higher is better from a known quality manufacturer. Some of the knock-off cheap hoses aren't worth dragging home.

If you're using a pneumatic or air driven grease gun, be certain both the hose and the hose-end zerk coupler are stated to be compatible with air-type devices.

Look at Lincoln or Alemite or other known quality brands and see in their web catalogs a selection of articulating hose-end couplers. The U-joint type swivel articulates and on some models snap-locks into odd angles and positions. Many different models from different sources, find one that fits your needs. Worth the few bucks to have it on hand.

I keep one grease gun on the rack with an articulating swivel coupler and one with a hose and one with a pipe. Takes all three to grease all 58 fittings on backhoe.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sorry for letting you down Wolfman, I already had the picture in my computer. :eek:

I'll try to do better next time. :D

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
If you zoom in on the picture, in the link I posted earlier, #4 is the 90º slide on coupler. That's why I said buy the kit, cheaper that way...:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I bought a grease gun accessory kit. Was a decent price.
Cheap hoses are exactly that.
I couple two hoses together, makes far away fittings easier to snag. Especially on chevy truck idler arm bracket fitting.
I also have a 45 and 90 degree 1/8" npt street elbows to put on hose and gives me easer access to some fittings.