FEL attachment to dig trench???

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Has anyone fabricated an attachment you can bolt, chain, clamp, etc. to the FEL so a narrow ditch, trench, could be dug using the FEL? Sometimes I don't want a wide trench, just 12'' or so. For an easy visual, imaging strapping a shovel to the FEL and dig a trench. Any thoughts?

Thanks'
Jay

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I watched Sue [on life below zero show] dig a trench of sorts with a set of clamp on pallet forks centred on a bucket.
not a very good solution but maybe for just a small trench?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think like was said a middle buster several times through a bit deeper each time unless you got a big honker

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got a scoop I made because I didn't want the county to come in and use their 5' bucket on a track hoe to clean I ditch I had been mowing and wanted to keep it that way. Cuts about 15" wide and as deep as you wish.

It does a nice job but requires two people. It's very similar to the old horse drawn dirt scoops. I only need to clean about 60' so the labor wasn't bad.

It was a commercial water heater tank cut down and then cut horizontally. Welded a SS cutting edge on it and a couple of pieces or oil field sucker rod for handles. Pulled with L305. When it was full I shoveled the material in the bucket of another tractor and went and dumped it. Then started over...

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I did strap a spade using a ratchet strap to my loader to dig a trench to plant potatoes this spring. It was in freshly rototilled soil, would never work in my soil not tilled I also did dig a trench using the loader bucket down to about 16 in deep, and probably 20 in wide. I had to change the way I thought of digging a trench. Digging a series of bucket width holes, the depth you need side by side, so you are facing the side of the trench not the end.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
.... I also did dig a trench using the loader bucket down to about 16 in deep, and probably 20 in wide. I had to change the way I thought of digging a trench. Digging a series of bucket width holes, the depth you need side by side, so you are facing the side of the trench not the end.
Why did you have to go from the side? An obstacle in the way?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why did you have to go from the side? An obstacle in the way?
Coach, I think what he's explaining is as if you were cleaning out a ditch. You lower you bucket and roll it as you gently go forward. If he's going 20" deep it takes more then one roll of the bucket. Then he repeats the same operation at the end of the first procedure, and continues that until the desired length if dug.

For me, when I cut a "trench" I use a trencher. I have spacers so I can add them to the teeth and can dig in one pass from 6", 8"or 12" wide. And what's really nice is a 6 way backfill blade.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
If you have the right soil conditions, a subsoiler can make short work of burying flexible cable or pipe. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish tho..not all trenches are dug the same...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk