Feedback on used tractor purchase (and in general)

JCinOhio

May 30, 2024
Central Ohio
Hi all,

New member here and I was pleasantly surprised to find a Kubota-specific forum. Sorry for the long first post but I want to be sure I don't make a big mistake on my first tractor purchase.

I want to buy a tractor to do work around my property. I’ve spent a couple weeks lurking here, reading posts, and learning what I can. I watched about a dozen of the Messick videos (VERY helpful) including all of the Compact Tractor Buyer’s Guide. Those answered most of my questions but I have a few left and would like some feedback on my overall thought process.

What I’ll be doing:
  • Clearing and eventually maintaining 3.5 acres. It’s generally flat but with some low areas than can get pretty muddy when we get a lot of rain.
    • 1 acre is dense forest that needs significant thinning. Most of the trees are tall and skinny (12” diameter or less). I’ll have a pro cut them down but then I’ll cut them into smaller pieces and move them out with the tractor using pallet forks or drag them out with a chain then cut them.
    • 1 acre is heavy brush that needs serious hogging.
    • 1.5 acre will eventually be tilled for grass but is currently tall weeds that I cut with a walk-behind brush hog.
  • Spreading a few inches of gravel on about 700 feet of driveway, then maintaining it.
  • Moving a lot of dirt. I’ve got a couple big piles (probably 60+ yards each) that need to be spread onto various parts of the lot for basic landscaping.
  • Putting pallets of stuff on racks in my shop – no more than 600 lbs per pallet and no more than 8 feet off the floor
  • Occasional trenching and other tasks with skid-loader-style attachments from my local rental shop
  • Plowing the driveway in the winter
Based on all this, it looks like an L-series is the right size for what I need. I definitely can’t afford new so I’m looking at used; older but low hours. Something like 40-ish horsepower, four-wheel drive, hydrostatic trans (I can drive a manual but I like the HST on some rentals I’ve had), heated cab, FEL with quick-attach bucket and pallet forks, and front and rear remotes.

I found 2007 L3940HSTC with 998 hrs on it fairly close to me that has most of the stuff listed above, including dual rear hydraulic outlets. The bucket, FEL arms, and 3-point arms have evidence of use but overall it doesn’t look like the tractor’s had a hard life. I haven’t asked for maintenance records yet but I will if this looks like what I need. I can post a link to it if that’s allowed. The asking price is a little more than half of a comparable new one.

It looks like the L3940 was made 2007-2013. Do I need to worry about part availability for something that old and/or is there aftermarket support? Do I need another front hydraulic outlet if I want to run a trencher or other powered attachment in place of the bucket on the FEL (I’m pretty sure I do)? Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks much.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hi all,

New member here and I was pleasantly surprised to find a Kubota-specific forum. Sorry for the long first post but I want to be sure I don't make a big mistake on my first tractor purchase.

I want to buy a tractor to do work around my property. I’ve spent a couple weeks lurking here, reading posts, and learning what I can. I watched about a dozen of the Messick videos (VERY helpful) including all of the Compact Tractor Buyer’s Guide. Those answered most of my questions but I have a few left and would like some feedback on my overall thought process.

What I’ll be doing:
  • Clearing and eventually maintaining 3.5 acres. It’s generally flat but with some low areas than can get pretty muddy when we get a lot of rain.
    • 1 acre is dense forest that needs significant thinning. Most of the trees are tall and skinny (12” diameter or less). I’ll have a pro cut them down but then I’ll cut them into smaller pieces and move them out with the tractor using pallet forks or drag them out with a chain then cut them.
    • 1 acre is heavy brush that needs serious hogging.
    • 1.5 acre will eventually be tilled for grass but is currently tall weeds that I cut with a walk-behind brush hog.
  • Spreading a few inches of gravel on about 700 feet of driveway, then maintaining it.
  • Moving a lot of dirt. I’ve got a couple big piles (probably 60+ yards each) that need to be spread onto various parts of the lot for basic landscaping.
  • Putting pallets of stuff on racks in my shop – no more than 600 lbs per pallet and no more than 8 feet off the floor
  • Occasional trenching and other tasks with skid-loader-style attachments from my local rental shop
  • Plowing the driveway in the winter
Based on all this, it looks like an L-series is the right size for what I need. I definitely can’t afford new so I’m looking at used; older but low hours. Something like 40-ish horsepower, four-wheel drive, hydrostatic trans (I can drive a manual but I like the HST on some rentals I’ve had), heated cab, FEL with quick-attach bucket and pallet forks, and front and rear remotes.

I found 2007 L3940HSTC with 998 hrs on it fairly close to me that has most of the stuff listed above, including dual rear hydraulic outlets. The bucket, FEL arms, and 3-point arms have evidence of use but overall it doesn’t look like the tractor’s had a hard life. I haven’t asked for maintenance records yet but I will if this looks like what I need. I can post a link to it if that’s allowed. The asking price is a little more than half of a comparable new one.

It looks like the L3940 was made 2007-2013. Do I need to worry about part availability for something that old and/or is there aftermarket support? Do I need another front hydraulic outlet if I want to run a trencher or other powered attachment in place of the bucket on the FEL (I’m pretty sure I do)? Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks much.
Good day and welcome.

Maybe check that the loader SSQA style if wanting to swap out attachments on the front. (Seemed like that was something that would be helpful based on description but not sure what you are looking at has it?)

if plan to use implement with hydraulics up front will need 3rd function added to loader.

May want to think about ballast…fluid in tires or wheel weights and / or something off the back…or some combination of those.

good luck. 🥃

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You might be surprised at what my "little" B2601 can do. Much of that work you described benefits from the extra muscle the larger tractor can supply initially but probably would not be needed for maintaining the property. 3.5 acres is not a lot of land for an L3940. The larger the tractor the harder it is on your grass as well. You might call Messicks and ask them about parts availability. As far as hydraulic outlets for powering attachments is concerned keep in mind the power produced by your tractor is nowhere near the power produced by most skid steers that many trenching implements are designed for. The general thinking is that you would be better off renting a trencher or hiring that done. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Occasional trenching and other tasks with skid-loader-style attachments from my local rental shop

Be careful ! 'skid steer ' implements generally require LOTS of oil(GPM) and weigh a LOT !

For sure an SSQA loader is a must. EASY to swap out bucket for pallet forks !

For logging, better to haul entire logs to a 'cutting site'. Quicker and easier,more efficient use of time and tools.

You really don't need a big tractor. While bigger may do some jobs faster, brush clearing isn't one of them and neither is driveway grading. For both of these 'slow and steady' wins.

for loader ballast, consider a 'carryall' and 2 or 3 skids with boxes. Each has 'weight' in it. light,medium heavy. You can quickly back up and get the correct one for the job you're doing. No need to haul 1000# of excess weight in tires 24/7 ! You'll save wear and tear, fuel and save the soil by selecting an appropriate rear ballast.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: Occasional trenching and other tasks with skid-loader-style attachments from my local rental shop

Be careful ! 'skid steer ' implements generally require LOTS of oil(GPM) and weigh a LOT !

For sure an SSQA laoder is a must. EASY to swap out bucket for pallet forks !

For logging, better to haul entire logs to a 'cutting site'. Quicker and easier,more efficient use of time and tools.

You really don't need a big tractor. While bigger may do some jobs faster, brush clearing isn't one of them and neither is driveway grading. For both of these 'slow and steady' wins.

for loader ballast, consider a 'carryall' and 2 or 3 skids with boxes. Each has 'weight' in it. light,medium heavy. You can quickly back up and get the correct one for the job you're doing. No need to haul 1000# of excess weight in tires 24/7 ! You'll save wear and tear, fuel and save the soil by selecting an appropriate read ballast.
No need for more than ONE ballast option,......unless the OP has a golf course like lawn to protect.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just be careful that the tractor is owned by the person selling it. Tractors are quite easy to steal and sell to an unsuspecting buyer. Make sure to know who you are dealing with and get a picture of his driver's license. You can never be too cautious.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Grand L is a great machine. Maybe too big. But excellent machine, specially if you need a cab.

JCinOhio

May 30, 2024
Central Ohio
Thanks, everyone! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. The L3940 I've been looking at has the QA loader and the rear tires are loaded but I'm not sure if it's with water or something else. Before going any farther on that, though, I'm going to re-evaluate whether a B-series tractor would work. I may have gone a bit overboard after reading several postings that recommended going up a size from what you think you need to account for potential future uses and not trying to lift/move things that are too heavy for a smaller tractor. For the initial lot work, I’m not in a big hurry and since I will have my own tractor instead of renting one, I can spread the work out over as much time as I want.

Good point on the flow needs of the skid loader accessories. I can definitely rent a skid loader and trencher attachment when I need it or just hire someone. I also appreciate the comment about making a copy of the seller’s driver’s license. I will definitely do that if I buy from an individual vs. a dealer.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

Everyone has different needs. I have a very good friend that uses his skid loader several times a week on his 1 acre property. He is not doing for hire work or anything like that. He does take care of his neighbors drives in winter to be nice. But in his case he unloads pallets of grain and other supplies (brews beer, wine, other). Anyway he needed lift capacity so he a found a loader at correct price and couldn’t be happier. It’s much better for his needs in term of manuverability and lift capacity versus a tractor. Anyway point is figure out your needs / wants…everyone situation is different.

Another consideration is what you want done immediately vs longer term. To me there is some work there up front maybe a larger machine is helpful and then in terms of maintenance maybe smaller can do the chores? I am not really sure it’s hard to say without seeing / seeing understanding directly. But Depending on your timeframe and availability, you could also consider to pay to have initial tasks done and then worry about upkeep / smaller projects. (May open up some options on which machine better fit for your uses). It’s just a thought. Buy two for matter…nothing wrong with that either.

Either way it only matters what works for your situation. Good luck.

Last edited:

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
If I were in your shoes, I’d consider a smaller machine. I had a B2301 that sounds like it’s do everything you need, except has no cab. An LX would be nice too! Sure bigger is better, but it tears up the lawn, and is less maneuverable.

Really, if you’re anything like me, the small one will disappoint you for running out of traction, and the large one will disappoint you for being so damn big and heavy. But either will put a giant smile on your face every time you use it! Good luck.