Farm implements

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
"If he has to run 16 miles for 5 acres, it starts to make sense. Especially with big equipment, that's a lot of messing around for 5 acres."

Ya, I can see that when you put it that way. I'm just surprised there are no small hobby farmers that would be interested at all.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
I may need to plant 5 acres that I use (sic) to have farmed by local farmers. Need to know what I need to run Corn or Soybeans. I have a Kubota B2601, is it even possible to do it with this tractor?
Taxes increase approx $100/acre to $2300/acre if the land is not farmed. I can buy most inpliments (sic) except the seed planter reasonably. Could probably rent one for as little as it’ll be used. Don’t need to be in business or make money, just needs crops growing on it. Any input greatly appreciated.
The post is confusing. "Taxes increase approx $100/acre to $2300/acre if the land is not farmed". You mean annual taxes? Your taxes would increase by $100 per acre? That is only $500 a year. Or you mean taxes increase from $100 per acre to $2,300 per acre per year? So the land is worth $230,000 or more an acre? Then you are a millionaire and the best use of the land is certainly not farming it

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
Here in Jersey to be farmland assessed you have to show a profit of $1k or more per 5 usable acres and then its only I think something like $10 per acre beyond that. At my previous farm I had a little over 5 acres but most was woods/wetlands. I planted about an acre. Last year on my honest box stand alone I made $1800 and I didn't start it till Mid-July. Sunflowers were a huge seller I literally couldn't pick them fast enough. My guess is you are in a decently populated area if you have to pay a farmer to come plant the acreage. By that deduction my guess would be if you have the time you could easily do what I did.
When I purchased the new farm that I live on now which is a little over 11 acres the previous owner was allowing 2 different farmers to utilize the property one was pasture the other was corn and hay fields they would just give him an invoice that showed a profit for the land and he was ok. Now that I'm here I am planting.
I'm continuing my veggies and flowers but also as few mentioned above Christmas Trees. They are actually becoming a profitable option as there are less and less large Christmas tree farms, even just wholesale you can make good money. The reason I bring them up as they will allow you to delay any kind of tax assessment for 6-8 yrs as long as you actually are planting as that's how long it typically takes to harvest and if you are near population you can just do a cut your own.
Sorry for the long post just wanted to give you some ideas.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Where I am, you have to show a profit under 10 acres. My initial property purchase was around 17.5 acres so I list it as wood and hay for farming. I have a local guy that cuts and bails the field hay 3x a year. Keeps my taxes low and I'm not spending money on diesel or hours on my tractor to mow. I just purchased 5 acres adjacent to my property that I now have to show a profit on to get my CAUV cert. Lucky it is planted in alfalfa and the same guy that hays my land harvests the alfalfa at least 4x/yr for his cattle. Not sure what the arrangement was with the old owner, but I think I can work something out. I may have him till my hay field and do alfalfa there as well.

I close on it Tuesday and my stop after closing is at the County Assessor to see how I can get it bundled in to my existing land. At that point I have 22.5 acres and no need to send them any profit statements.

I do like the pine tree farm idea as well as the bees. I am putting in around an acre of hops to play with. Not thinking much from sales but I have a few friends that brew larger volumes and some small batch craft brewers that are interested.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
My total acreage is 16.5. Assessed valuation on the the 5 acres is 601.00. Assessed valuation sans buildings on the 11.5 acres is 178,200.00. Home owners get hammered in our county 40 miles NW of Chicago .

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I know a farmer who's dad one year started growing "Indian Corn". He was getting $12/doz as opposed to $5/doz. Kinda makes sense as a cash crop if you can do it.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
You need to read your EFU requirements. Around here your acreage would only require 650 in gross income and all they want to see is Schedule F. Put in pasture grass and let a neighbor bale it for the crop. Livestock should also count as well as boarding horses or chickens for that matter. One of my neighbors is using lavender for his 'crop'.