Factory extended warranties

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Anyone with input, Good or bad!
Bought a new Jeep Cherokee, And the Chrysler life time warranty. $3,034.00.
I was a little reluctant at first, (never cared for them). Had 2-deciding factors, 1-wife, 2-all the electronics on the new vehicles. (cant wrench on'em anymore) We always keep our vehicles 10+ years, just hand them down.
Thanks.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I haven't had any dealings with Chrysler. I picked one up from a third party being told by the salesmen that it would cover motor, tranny, and electronics. Well, I had an electrical issue, and they wouldn't cover it :mad: So now I need to find some time, get the company on the phone and find out exactly what they do cover since the truck is having an issue with the onstar system and the dealer said it was $130 per hour to trace out the electrical system :mad:

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Being an American vehicle that probably wasn't a bad idea, but usually the experts say extended warranties are a waste of money.

My buddy's wife has a new cherokee and it's been in the shop a dozen times already with issues. He hates the thing. I had a brand new 06 limited and it was a great driving vehicle, especially in the snow. Around 36k the thing started falling apart, seemed like everything plastic started breaking. At about 40k, 3 yrs later, I went to trade it in. It cost me 35k new, couldn't find a dealer to give me more than 10k for it :mad:. Needless to say, that's the last American vehicle I will ever buy. I suggest to pay attention to consumer reports because they are usually right.

Traded it for a subaru turbo, took the loss. I leased that one and at the end of the lease I purchased it. Turned around and traded it in for an outback for my wife and got 5k more than I bought it out for. Last year traded that outback for a new one. Paid 27k for the first outback, got 22,500 in trade with 36k miles on it. Couldn't beat that deal with a stick!

The only extra warrantee I buy now is tires and wheels. Got caught in a whiteout one time in the last outback and smoked a curb, them wheels are pricey to replace!

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
That's what my better judgement was telling me!
Less than 5000 miles and has two recall notices already. rolleyes: I'm not a big fan of none of the new ones, and the trucks are just as bad, (not made to last) Just thinking out loud here, but they are engineering the things to the point the dealers cant work on them anymore.
My gut feeling is I was hosed for another 3 grand.
rant off.........

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Most extended warranties are written to benifit the seller. Case in point. On several occasions, I have had customers bring vehicles to me with transmission problems and mention they had an extended warranty. Warranty rep comes and the first thing he does is look at the data plate on the door for the tire size and then checks the tires on the vehicle. They were 1 size different. He voided the warranty. Read the fine print several times...

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Most extended warranties are written to benifit the seller. Case in point. On several occasions, I have had customers bring vehicles to me with transmission problems and mention they had an extended warranty. Warranty rep comes and the first thing he does is look at the data plate on the door for the tire size and then checks the tires on the vehicle. They were 1 size different. He voided the warranty. Read the fine print several times...
I negotiated a car starter in the deal with our new outback. The scumbag dealer figured he would make an extra $100 on me by installing an aftermarket starter. Unfortunate for him, I'm not as stupid as he looks and know that will void the warrantee if something electrical goes wrong. Called him out on it, said he would install factory, tried to screw me again when my wife brought it in to get installed. I snapped, went straight to subaru corp and raised holy hell. They confirmed it would void the warrantee if they found the starter to cause the problem. Had to fight tooth and nail with them, but got them to refund me what it cost to have a factory starter installed at a different dealer. That stupid donkey of a dealer lost a good customer over a $100.

Turbo, I agree with ya, they are all expensive junk and all have recalls. I just go for the junk that loses the least amount of value. The GM, ford, Chrysler, and jeeps aren't made like the pre 1980's where they were built to last!

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Last new one 2003 jeep liberty its been flawless. I've changed 1-taillight bulb, water pump, bearing in AC compressor, 304,000 miles. And of course the reg maintenance stuff.
Thats why I was going to stay with the jeep line.

This so called (jeep) new rig is not very impressive to me, (mechanical) That's why I'm hoping the extended warranty will FILL THE SHORT FALLS. "Cause I'm not working on this one". On a good note, the wife loves it.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Last new one 2003 jeep liberty its been flawless. I've changed 1-taillight bulb, water pump, bearing in AC compressor, 304,000 miles. And of course the reg maintenance stuff.
Thats why I was going to stay with the jeep line.

This so called (jeep) new rig is not very impressive to me, (mechanical) That's why I'm hoping the extended warranty will FILL THE SHORT FALLS. "Cause I'm not working on this one". On a good note, the wife loves it.
Wow! I thought I was doing good with my (Turkish-built) 2010 Transit Connect, having to replace 2 brake-light bulbs! Guess I need to buy an old Cheep. (But they don't seem to make tow vehicles, which is where my interest is since adopting this Kubby.)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I probably average three letters and five calls a week offering extended warranties, often on vehicles that I sold a year or more ago. Does anybody think they are making this effort to sell me me an extended warranty because it will save me money? This started back in the seventies when I was getting a weekly call from Sears for an extended warranty for a push lawnmower. I finally told them one more call and I would return the lawnmower as any lawnmower that required an extended warranty was not worth having. They quit calling. I wish I could turn off the car warranty calls so easy!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
www.donotcall.gov ;) register your phone numbers. After 30 days the calls should start dropping off. After 60 days from signing up and registering your numbers, start reporting the phone numbers. Takes less then a minute. And if it's a robo call, you can report them as well. Doesn't matter if it's a survey or a congressmen pimping votes. I turned in the local judge last year for robo calling :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Thanks Daren, we registered a long time ago and went through number changes without updating.

I have read that cell phone numbers go public at the end of March so advertisers will now have more access to our cell numbers. Not that it stopped them from calling cell phones before they had public access. Depending on your cell phone plan you may even be charged for the call. Makes do not call even more important.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
www.donotcall.gov ;) register your phone numbers. After 30 days the calls should start dropping off. After 60 days from signing up and registering your numbers, start reporting the phone numbers. Takes less then a minute. And if it's a robo call, you can report them as well. Doesn't matter if it's a survey or a congressmen pimping votes. I turned in the local judge last year for robo calling :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When they call I just crank up Charlie Daniels and sing into the phone in my loudest, most red neckest voice possible!! They don't generally last too long :eek::D:D

Doc

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Typically, I'd agree that extended warranties are mainly a cash-cow for the dealer.

I'm two-for-three personally.

First time I sprung for an EW was on a 2001 Dodge Dakota I bought used. Just shortly before I finished paying for it, the clockspring mechanism in the steering wheel broke which really screwed up the electronic dash, and both front brake calipers crapped out about two weeks apart. If I'd have had to pay full shop rate plus parts on that, I'd have easily been out what the EW cost me, so I figure I at least broke even on that one.

I paid for an EW on the 2007 GMC that replaced the Dakota because all those electronics make me nervous and as has been noted, Joe Shadetree can't work on them any more. Failed to read the fine print and while I thought I had a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, it capped out at 6 years and wasn't worth the paper it was written on when I sold the truck. Got screwed on that one.

Paid for a basic warranty on the '13 Tundra that replaced the GMC, same reasoning. At the 10,000 mile service, it had the infamous Toyota 5.7 Cam Tower Leak. Covered under the original factory warranty, but as an "apology" for the recurrence of a known problem, Toyota bumped me up to a Platinum warranty and gave me a free rental while the truck was in the shop. Pretty pleased with that, hopefully won't have to take advantage of it. Plan to keep the Tundra until the wheels fall off it.