Extra Security Protection

jspicerreachnet

Nov 24, 2014
Belleville
B26 being stored in a remote area without human survalance. Dealers will give out replacement keys upon request so I dont feel too safe. Any ideas of some extra security messuers ? Eg: On a old standard shift I had a chain locked to the clutch so no shifting could happen even if hot wired. Is there such a thin as a "steering wheel club" device for tractors ?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
B26 being stored in a remote area without human survalance. Dealers will give out replacement keys upon request so I dont feel too safe. Any ideas of some extra security messuers ? Eg: On a old standard shift I had a chain locked to the clutch so no shifting could happen even if hot wired. Is there such a thin as a "steering wheel club" device for tractors ?
Remove battery?
Hidden battery disconnect switch?
Hidden fuel shutoff?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get a Seaboard / Shipping container to store it in.

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
With the proliferation of battery powered grinders, most locks, clubs, chains aren't a deterrent.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I don't have a B anymore but if memory serves me right I used to pull
- engine stop solenoid / fuse relay
- engine stop solenoid / fuse
- solenoid / fuse for the starter

open the bonnet and removal takes only a second or two to take with you and will mean a thief unless pretty darned smart with a lot of spare electrical parts and time on their hands is def. not going to drive it away.

remove a front tire (or take all the lug nuts) and they won't tow it away either. This takes a little longer and requires more elbow grease.

and if you drop your outriggers and frt/rear buckets and swing the boom 90 degrees into the ground almost impossible to winch/tow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Get a Seaboard / Shipping container to store it in.
A "one trip" (no dents) container will likely cost $5K delivered, but it is a good storage solution.
"Cargo ready" (with dents/rust?) is less.
Friend recently bought a "one trip" 40' hi-cube container for $5K, to store his M62 TLB.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The heat which develops inside those steel shipping containers can bake potatoes.… Can’t be too good for equipment.

Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
That would be easy to drag onto a trailer with a winch even with fuses puled and a club. A shed that keep it out of sight sometimes helps. You really can't trust anyone these days and cellular trail cameras can actually cach and record trespassers and notify you real-time.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Make it so it doesn't start by pulling the main fuse. Locks and chains are pointless these days, every thief has a battery powered angle grinder.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You , and should, ventilate a seacan. Easy to do...holes low on one side, high on the other. More holes means more flow means cooler internal temperature.
Friend found a clever way to lock his, hidden, need ladder to get on top. has one owner '62 E type in it.

Bottom line, if a thief wants it, he'll get it. Ain't no such thing as 'theft prevention' !!!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Cameras and a solar set up if no power available.

Pull the fuses as others mentioned.

Take a wheel or all the wheels with you when you go.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The heat which develops inside those steel shipping containers can bake potatoes.… Can’t be too good for equipment.
Absolutely not true, if you ventilate them.
A container purchased for tractor storage will very likely never be used aboard ship again.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Absolutely not true, if you ventilate them.
A container purchased for tractor storage will very likely never be used aboard ship again.
Yes…you can ventilate them…but as they are constructed and sold….they reach unbelievably high temps. We rented one to store household goods during some reconstruction in Sept thru Jan….when temps should be “ok”…. but photographs, plastic parts, Xmas ornaments, and artwork were ruined from overtemp. I suspect temps exceeded 220F in winter….might exceed 300 in summer.
If I were to buy one for serious long-term storage…I’d plan to install a window-unit AC….or at the LEAST a Turbine-ventilator with a low-wall-mounted vent.

Last edited:

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Get a trail cam. Not that expensive. Mine runs a year on 1 set of C batteries. Still add other protection if possible.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Wouldn't count on cameras being of much use either, except possibly for insurance purposes.

Around here, you can show the cops all the camera evidence you want and your chances of it doing any good are approximately the same as your chances of winning the lottery.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Park it where it is less visible or build or plant a screening wall.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
When our trailer was stolen, they cut through the lock on the gate, the lock on the trailer hitch, the lock on the tires.

Very frustrating because at best all we did was slow them down for a few minutes. I think the only thing that we could of done was remove the tires and then maybe they couldn't of taken it.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
My experience is if someone wants to steal something, especially something remote like this, they will and a lock on a door won't change things. Have good theft insurance.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Leave the key in it as bait, and turn the PTO on.

That seems to "stump" a lot of people. 😂 😂

• Haha

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
This topic keeps appearing over and over.

If a thief wants your machine it'll be gone in under 5 minutes after getting dragged onto a tilt-n-load truck bed.

Out of sight and locked up in a shed/container and getting insurance will give you a little peace of mind.

If you buy security cameras you can watch grainy blurry-cam videos of your machine going bye-bye...and no CSI team will come to your rescue like on TV.