Error code 20, plus screen reads “Depress Clutch”

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
From the LXX40-3 WSM:
-Clutch is closed when depressed sufficiently far.
-Seat switch is closed when someone is in the seat.
-Seat tilt circuit is open when the seat is not tilted.
-PTO circuit is closed when the PTO switch is off.
-HST pedal sensor must be centered/neutral.
Starting requires only clutch (depressed.on), PTO (off), HST pedal sensor (in neutral), and OPC requirements.

I'd recommend getting a copy of the appropriate WSM. A good way to tell if you have the L3240-1 or L3240-3 is the PTO switch. The -1 has a lever, the -3 has this knob:

LXX40-3 PTO.PNG

When I had multiple simultaneous issues with the clutch depress and PTO switch I took off the seat, seat pan, and dash cowling, then safely shorted the seat switch and hot-wired to the ECU to confirm there were issues with old wires and confirm the clutch bracket was bent. Those issues were addressed and the safeties were reenabled with better-than-factory wiring.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
Do you have an L3240-1 or L3240-3 HST? Here is the ERROR-20 text from the LXX40-3 WSM:
View attachment 132007

And the wiring diagram:
View attachment 132008

The ERROR-20 communication issue is something I've not had to troubleshoot and is concerning. I have an LXX40-1 WSM, too, if needed. Can you jump all the way to the ECU, i.e. with the seat and seat pan out of the way?
Where is the ECU?

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
Do you have an L3240-1 or L3240-3 HST? Here is the ERROR-20 text from the LXX40-3 WSM:
View attachment 132007

And the wiring diagram:
View attachment 132008

The ERROR-20 communication issue is something I've not had to troubleshoot and is concerning. I have an LXX40-1 WSM, too, if needed. Can you jump all the way to the ECU, i.e. with the seat and seat pan out of the way?
I have an HST. Error 20 explaination reads out odd. Does the HST pedal need to be in neutral to start the engine?

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
W
From the LXX40-3 WSM:
-Clutch is closed when depressed sufficiently far.
-Seat switch is closed when someone is in the seat.
-Seat tilt circuit is open when the seat is not tilted.
-PTO circuit is closed when the PTO switch is off.
-HST pedal sensor must be centered/neutral.
Starting requires only clutch (depressed.on), PTO (off), HST pedal sensor (in neutral), and OPC requirements.

I'd recommend getting a copy of the appropriate WSM. A good way to tell if you have the L3240-1 or L3240-3 is the PTO switch. The -1 has a lever, the -3 has this knob:

View attachment 132072

When I had multiple simultaneous issues with the clutch depress and PTO switch I took off the seat, seat pan, and dash cowling, then safely shorted the seat switch and hot-wired to the ECU to confirm there were issues with old wires and confirm the clutch bracket was bent. Those issues were addressed and the safeties were reenabled with better-than-factory wiring.
What is “OPC”?