Equipment fires

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just watched Andrew Camarata's latest video in which he experiences a catastrophic fire in one of his excavators. He does a great job of capturing the panic that sets in and the dismay at realizing that it was going to be a total loss. He's very transparent and I appreciate that. When he finally gets a fire extinguisher from another excavator only to realize that it doesn't work, his frustration is very apparent and I felt bad for him. Another takeaway from this is that you can't assume that your fire extinguisher is going to work. Regular inspections need to be part of being proactive.

I have a fire extinguisher in the garage, and one on the boat, but that's it. I need to be more proactive and make sure I have a functioning fire extinguisher in every vehicle which includes truck, Jeep, two tractors and the M1078.

Anyone have a favorite brand and model of fire extinguisher or is it just a case of grabbing what's on the shelf at Home Depot or similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I saw that, too. Kind of a shame that he ran to his other excavator and the only extinguisher he had didn't work.

I don't have a favorite. Buy them and buy good mounts. Some of the mounts they ship with are pretty weak. How long it took him to get the nonworking extinguisher off was noticeable.

I use a mount like this one on my Ranger and Kubota. https://www.amazon.com/Release-Aluminum-Extinguisher-Adjustable-Wrangler/dp/B086351DBV/

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I saw that, too. Kind of a shame that he ran to his other excavator and the only extinguisher he had didn't work.

I don't have a favorite. Buy them and buy good mounts. Some of the mounts they ship with are pretty weak. How long it took him to get the nonworking extinguisher off was noticeable.

I use a mount like this one on my Ranger and Kubota. https://www.amazon.com/Release-Aluminum-Extinguisher-Adjustable-Wrangler/dp/B086351DBV/
That mount looks handy. I feel like I need to get on this with summer coming and lots of chances for dried grass to get up into areas where it doesn't need to be. I don't know if an hydraulic leak near a heat source is likely with our tractors, but mouse nests, bird nests or dried grass in the engine compartment could mean a really bad day.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
QD3.jpg

Had a similar experience only not as expensive a loss.

I keep an extinguisher in ALL vehicles and on all equipment (tractors, mowers, etc).

Was walking my Dachshund one afternoon and when I turned the corner to go behind my shop...I was horrified to see my Scag Zero Turn mower on FIRE! Apparently it started at the battery.

It wasn't yet completely engulfed so I turned my head and reached down to retrieve the extinguisher I had on it. I backed up a step and went to pull the safety pin.

The pin (plastic) broke off flush with the unit (no way to un-jam it) and squeezing the trigger would not break the remaining portion.

Tried to put the mower out with a garden hose....but by then the fire had spread to the fuel tanks. Had to watch it burn to the ground.

ALL extinguishers have METAL safety pins now. So yes, even if you have extinguishers on board....check them from time to time.

EX1.jpg

EX3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Shovel, as long as you have dirt, I was a Firefighter for over 38 years.
He didn't seem to have a shovel either although he had a pretty big shovel on the second excavator.

• Haha

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Buy good extinguishers. There are plenty of crappy one time fill types that are worthless. On boats and certain machinery like engines…I use the specialized type that don’’t screw up sensitive electronics.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Avoid cheap extinguishers that have plastic valves, levers, and pins. Buy only METAL extinguishers.

Dry chemical is most common…but make for a nasty clean up job afterwards. (The dry chemical melts and smothers the fire with a ceramic-type crust…hard to clean…and will damage many things it saves.). Halogenated are the best for all purposes and easy/no cleanup.. are not the cheapest….but you decide how important your equipment is. ;)

BTW, if you are like most folks and buy a dry-powder extinguisher…. regularly remove it from the holder, turn it upside down…and strike the bottom with a rubber mallet to break up the packed-powder … as it will settle and become hard-packed, especially if subjected to vibration on a vehicle.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Yeah, I watched that today. I felt bad for Andrew, especially when it sounds like the insurance company jacked him over on it. My first instinct was to throw handfuls of dirt on it. A shovel or even a bucket would have come in handy in this instance as stated above.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
BTW, if you are like most folks and buy a dry-powder extinguisher…. regularly remove it from the holder, turn it upside down…and strike the bottom with a rubber mallet to break up the packed-powder … as it will settle and become hard-packed, especially if subjected to vibration on a vehicle.
In addition to this put a foam ear plug in the nozzle to prevent mud daubers and other critters from building a nest in it. The extinguisher typically won’t have enough nut to push out the nest they make.

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Another equip fire vid, real world, unscripted with fire extinguisher trouble. This series is really good, I enjoy his shows. Action starts at the 50 minute mark:

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
That last video is a GREAT example of having crappy extinguisher. Whenever I am welding or plasma cutting I have two quality extinguishers, that are 10lbs or more, at hand…indoors or out. I have started only one fire and got very lucky that the first extinguisher got it out. I sat there for 20 minutes with the second extinguisher on fire watch.

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
That last video is a GREAT example of having crappy extinguisher. Whenever I am welding or plasma cutting I have two quality extinguishers, that are 10lbs or more, at hand…indoors or out. I have started only one fire and got very lucky that the first extinguisher got it out. I sat there for 20 minutes with the second extinguisher on fire watch.
He goes over the errors on his part in a follow up video. Acknowledging his errors and corrective measures for the future. It turns out the nozzle was plugged with a mud dauber nest. The ear plug trick I have heard mentioned in a few videos from different authors.

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Sorry about the equipment fire, but appreciate the heads up. His videos are great. Prompted me to get extinguishers for the tractor and mini-ex. Room is tight inside cabs so got pathetic 2.5 pounders to supplement the 15 pounder in the shed. Will plan on putting a bigger one on the carryall once it is completed to have more effectiveness closer to at least the tractor.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Most of mine are CO2 or Halon. I do have a dry Chem in the main garage should my burn pit get out of control. There is also a fire blanket in the kitchen to smother cooking fires.
From what I remember in grade school- extinguishers main purpose is to save lives. Not necessarily to save things.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I don't know that I would've had the presence of mind to continue wielding a gopro in the midst of all that.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users