Engine Rebuild gone wrong?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
IF replacing the block.....I'd actually prefer a used (seasoned) block to a new one. Just have it magnafluxed and carefully inspected.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you change the block you will need a complete rebuild kit.

Most New blocks will not be bored to size yet and you will have to have a machine shop do that.

You will also need to mic the crank and set all new bearings as the bearing holders on the new block will not match the old.

Also be careful with which block you get as Kubota has a bad habit of having mutiple engine sizes that have different internal parts.

You will also need to set the timing on the injection pump as the shim count will more than likely change between blocks.
That in itself can be a real pain in the backside.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeesh I've seen complete engines for $2K.....
What's missing from a 'long block' as I assume that's NOT a drop in and go engine ?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
yeesh I've seen complete engines for $2K.....
What's missing from a 'long block' as I assume that's NOT a drop in and go engine ?
I dont think that is horribly expensive.

A long block is a completely remanufactured and assembled block and cylinder head. Ready to bolt on the intakes, exhaust, engine controls and accessories and drop it in. A quality unit will be test run before leaving the factory and will come with a fairly decent warranty. Here is a link to one of the foremost US suppliers:

I think I paid more than $2K for my last reman - a 2.3L Ford Turbo 20+ years ago. And no - it did not include a new turbo.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I personally am of the opinion the OP is creating unnecessary complication, trouble, and expense for himself…. that little “ding” is a non-event. Put that engine back together and Run It!

I only suggested the epoxy as a preventative to corrosion in that one spot…and even that is not a big deal…only a conservative/preventative. You will likely die loong-before that little “ding” rusts-through, even in the Worst of circumstances.

Much Ado about nothing.

Reactions: 1 user