engine problem - Kubota B26 TLB Engine D1105 ef-03

Clint_J

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26
Mar 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
I am an absolute rookie here so bear with me...

I'm looking to get a new/used engine to replace the 3 cyl D1105 ef-03 that is shot, it sounds like a pool ball rattling around inside. I am hoping someone could give me some insight of other 3 cyl engines that are interchangeable. I am having a hard time finding a D1105 ef-03 but I find a bunch for sale that just say D1105?! are they all swappable?
My plan is to find a replacement and find a local tech to swap it for me, good plan or no? Thank you in advance for any info to help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The ef-03 portion is all the options.
All of those parts will unbolt from the old motor and swap over to the new motor.
There are a few odd exceptions like you don't want a -T motor unless you want to add a turbo to your tractor, and NO -GEN or -BR engines as they have fixed speed governors.

Here is one that will work:

Reactions: 2 users

Clint_J

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26
Mar 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
Have you priced out a proper rebuild for yours ?
No I have not. I will search now for that option.
All of those parts will unbolt from the old motor and swap over to the new motor.
There are a few odd exceptions like you don't want a -T motor unless you want to add a turbo to your tractor, and NO -GEN or -BR engines as they have fixed speed governors.

wow thank you for the easy explanation. Being a beginner in this stuff is confusing so I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user

Clint_J

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26
Mar 17, 2024
Pennsylvania

Okay so I have a running engine that I am going to attempt to swap so I can get this tractor working again. Im going to be getting the old one rebuilt, by someone else or I might tackle that to learn more.
For the removal of the old block it appears the workshop manual says I have to remove the entire front of the tractor; wheels, axle, there is even a canopy removal section within the engine removal steps. Is this absolutely necessary? Some insight would be appreciated if anyone has done a d1105 4x4 b26 swap.

I have labeled most hoses with tape and have taken many pictures of the old one for reference once the new engine goes in. I have done some easy things such as drain oil, fuel and coolant. I have detached alternator and the starter motor. Some hoses for fuel and coolant ive removed Small easy things to get rolling.
I have a 1 ton engine picker and may need it for removal of the old. Any tips or thoughts as I proceed would be appreciated fellas. This is my first time trying so I WILL BE SCREWING UP AT TIMES 😁

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As you start to disconnect items from the engine be sure to find some blocks/pieces of wood to place on the front axle and wedged up against the engine on both sides. This will prevent the engine from flopping to one side or the other when it is finally unbolted.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Take pictures of both sides of engine and anything your not sure of so you have a reference later, if needed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And yes it absolutely necessary to split it and remove everything as you go, because the front axle frame is attached to the sides of the engine, and removing the motor, requires it to come off.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Take pictures of both sides of engine and anything your not sure of so you have a reference later, if needed.
Yes.....Lots of pictures!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I'm looking to get a new/used engine to replace the 3 cyl D1105 ef-03 that is shot, it sounds like a pool ball rattling around inside. I am hoping someone could give me some insight of other 3 cyl engines that are interchangeable. I am having a hard time finding a D1105 ef-03 but I find a bunch for sale that just say D1105?! are they all swappable?
My plan is to find a replacement and find a local tech to swap it for me, good plan or no? Thank you in advance for any info to help.
Curious: How many hours are on your failed B26 TLB engine?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just under 4000
Thanks!
I did not think these little diesels commonly went out as soon as that.
I remember an acquaintance (on an island) having a CAT 3208, running a generator, for over 30,000 hours.

Clint_J

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26
Mar 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
Thanks!
I did not think these little diesels commonly went out as soon as that.
I remember an acquaintance (on an island) having a CAT 3208, running a generator, for over 30,000 hours.
Well it was sold to me with the hours gauge at 39xx hours… but the gauge doesn’t work so who knows how many hours are actually on it.

Clint_J

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26
Mar 17, 2024
Pennsylvania

Update: b26 kubota d1105 engine replacement. So I have been dismantling my tractor to put a new used engine in. Here are some pictures on the progress.

Attachments

Clint_J

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26
Mar 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
Update: b26 kubota d1105 engine replacement. So I have been dismantling my tractor to put a new used engine in. Here are some pictures on the progress.
If anyone has any comments or ideas let me know… first time trying to do something like this so any input is always appreciated.