Electrical system wrinkle - L5450 (and L4850, L4350)

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
These tractor models don't have a conventional generator light for the charging system. The owners manual says if any charging issues arise, two intellipanel lights come on together - the hydr fluid high vacuum and the low fuel lights.

My L5450's battery has shown weakness over the past couple years - but has never shown the 2 warning lights. It seems to happen on snowy nights, running a couple hours with full cab lights (now LEDs), wipers, and heater blower. System testing shows the voltage never gets above 12.5v or so, never getting up to the 14v+ needed for full charging.

After some looking, I found the regulator was not switching on the alternator, but was allowing the battery to run down WITHOUT activating the two-light warning system described in the manual. The two lights do come on with the key, but go out when the engine starts, never coming on again to indicate a gradually discharging battery.

A new voltage regulator seems to be the cure. It charges at 14v with the new regulator. I'd be happy to get anybody's thoughts on this. Do the newer models have a generator light? or do they have 2?

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
My tractor has a dedicated idiot light, and I have no reason to suspect that it won't work as designed. Problem is the whole idea of the light is practically worthless. My current tractor alternator can't keep up with even a light load at low idle. 12.4-12.5 volts and the light is not on indicating a problem, when clearly there is a problem. 1000 rpm and the alternator does fine under load.
Why manufacturers can't put a simple voltage gauge on the dash is beyond me.
Sorry for the rant... good to at least know that the low voltage light may not work on those models.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Thanks for posting - I've often wondered why a voltmeter isn't included on every machine with a battery and charging system. The WSM has very little about diagnosing the intellipanel - except saying replace it if it acts up.

Last edited:

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
You can buy a little LED thingy that hooks up anywhere across + and - . It has an adhesive pad and will really stick on metal. The lights show you what is going on in a basic fashion with your electrical system....I don't have a voltmeter in my new Ford pickup, so put one on my lower dash. Got one on my motorcycle too as no voltmeter there either.....may put one on the Kubota also....you can buy different price ranges....$$$ are the fancy ones that look pretty...ha ha good luck:)

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
You can buy a little LED thingy that hooks up anywhere across + and - . It has an adhesive pad and will really stick on metal. The lights show you what is going on in a basic fashion with your electrical system....I don't have a voltmeter in my new Ford pickup, so put one on my lower dash. Got one on my motorcycle too as no voltmeter there either.....may put one on the Kubota also....you can buy different price ranges....$$$ are the fancy ones that look pretty...ha ha good luck:)
I got lazy with the tractor and plugged a combination usb charger / digital volt meter into the 12v cigarette lighter socket. For my F250 I use a WiFi device that plugs into the obd2 port, and the data (including voltage) gets transmitted wirelessly to an old iPhone in my truck.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
At the recommendation of someone on this forum, I tried a NOCO Genius charger and ended up buying several. They offer a neat plug receptacle that has a voltage indication for charge condition. I have one installed on my ute because I charge it whenever its parked. I also have one of these for my tractor but have not found a place yet to install it. The Kubota lives on charge when not operating and that really extends the battery life and makes starting easier, especially when cold.

Not quite as calibrated and descriptive as a meter but its small and serves as a charge plug too.

I have gotten to where I keep all my vehicles on charge except for my wife's truck that runs daily.