Electrical question......

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Or they may not.

But soliciting opinions on the internet from admittedly non-professionals is less likely to provide you the safe solution you seek (if one is to be had).

I applaud you for recognizing the need to wire the system correctly and your concerns for safety.

A good electrician should be able to size up your installation and explain what (or what not) should be done.

Also explain any safety concerns and the reasons for them.
What is particularly interesting to me are the "safety concerns" expressed by some.
I should have the whole 294 year old house rewired (much wiring done in 1947 fabric Romex)?
All 110V receptacles are two prong....no ground.
I should replace 600' of 2/0 three conductor underground COPPER cable,....with no ground,.... and that is not in conduit.
GFCI''s should be installed near damp/sink/tub locations?
Arc Fault breakers in all sleeping rooms?
Rewire EVERYTHING?

WHERE SHOULD IT ALL STOP?
Tear the 294 year old house down?
All things considered: It would be nice to have a real basement, instead of the little brick round cellar, built with joints of lime, rather than Portland cement.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
What is particularly interesting to me are the "safety concerns" expressed by some.
I should have the whole 294 year old house rewired (much wiring done in 1947 fabric Romex)?
All 110V receptacles are two prong....no ground.
I should replace 600' of 2/0 three conductor underground COPPER cable,....with no ground,.... and that is not in conduit.
GFCI''s should be installed near damp/sink/tub locations?
Arc Fault breakers in all sleeping rooms?
Rewire EVERYTHING?

WHERE SHOULD IT ALL STOP?
Tear the 294 year old house down?
All things considered: It would be nice to have a real basement, instead of the little brick round cellar, built with joints of lime, rather than Portland cement.

I hear ya. Clearly there is a 'high end' to electrical safety and upgrades....based on one's usage and needs.

I mean how did you and I ever live to the ripe old ages we are without all these safety features? Common sense is how.

Don't do this:

ElectricityTest.jpg

On the other hand, don't 'make' pitfalls for yourself (or others in the future) if they can be easily avoided.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I hear ya. Clearly there is a 'high end' to electrical safety and upgrades....based on one's usage and needs.

I mean how did you and I ever live to the ripe old ages we are without all these safety features? Common sense is how.

Don't do this:

View attachment 132537

On the other hand, don't 'make' pitfalls for yourself (or others in the future) if they can be easily avoided.
AGREED!

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
And then they mandate child proof receptacles that you need a sledgehammer to help inserting a plug into. The world has gone nuts.
Before I retired, they banned replacing clip in circuit breakers without first isolating the entire panel. Gave us lots of overtime as we had to wait until everyone went home. When first in the industry I replaced 600-volt QMB switches live. Later we could still do it but with protective gear.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Trust me, I’m no expert.

As has been mentioned, under certain circumstances a “bonded” generator can become a shock hazard due to a ground loop. That said, a lot of folks use them that way.

Has no bearing on the interior house wiring lacking ground to outlets, etc.

I got a floating neutral generator to avoid the problem. House ground is modern and to code.

Some bonded generators can be modified to make them floating neutral, and visa versa.