Driveshaft phasing

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I purchased a BX2860 with cab and snow blower last December. I noticed that at full throttle there was vibrational noise. I had the dealer listen to it when they were out to replace the missing heat control knob. I never heard from them. I got to thinking about drive lines on trucks and that the ujoints need to be right or you get vibration. I took the driveshaft off the tractor and greased it for winter, I then reinstalled it lining up the ujoints. The vibration noise seemed to be better. I will know when I get to blowing snow. Here is a video that explains phasing. I will need to check the Deere when I get to the farm.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
All driveshafts which use U-joints need to be phased. (BOTH ends must have a U-joint out-of-phase with the other one so the result is a constant speed (velocity) at the other end)
Many U-joint shafts are 'keyed' so the sliding yoke only goes together ONE way.

Additionally, the angle at which the joints are set at should be identical. (lest the velocity variations will not cancel out)

If phasing is not possible, then a CV (Constant Velocity) joint is used.

When more critical mechanical systems are involved, both the axial and planer alignment must be considered. There are many types of flexable 'joints' available which allow for misalignment between drive and driven shafts.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
All driveshafts which use U-joints need to be phased. (BOTH ends must have a U-joint out-of-phase with the other one so the result is a constant speed (velocity) at the other end)

Bruce,

On the male and female "sliding" parts typical in PTO's = those need to be IN phase, as in pointing in the same direction, whichever that direction is. Your statement which seems to say otherwise (maybe I didn't understand the statement), if you meant that the connecting yoke is 180 degrees out of phase then I understand your statement.

50151-c48e368f1a6eaf862a1b71217fa97ee9.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Modern equipment like your BX has its drive lines designed so they cannot be installed out of phase.

On mid pto shafts with fine splines running at 2,000 rpm, usually you find there is a missing spline allowing a two piece shaft assembly in only one position.

Recently a forum member was complaining about front drive line vibration. He noticed a bit of play when connecting the shaft yoke to the mid pto shaft.

He was able to replace the single yoke and U joint which pleased him as he was expecting to have to replace the entire shaft.

A new tight yoke solved his vibration issues.

Your grease may have just tightened up the yoke to mid pto shaft clearance enough to make a difference with vibration.

This is what member Berry said:

I was able to replace the union and bearing on the one side only. This was a much better fit and no vibration. All is good, thanks for your help.

Dave

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You never want to replace a double Cardan (CV) joint from wear, they will evacuate your wallet big time. Keep them greases if you have them and don't forget to grease the inner race fitting. All my hay tools run a double Cardan joint and I replaced one to the tune of 500 bucks. Only took one time. A double Cardan joint eliminates phasing and alignment, but at a cost.

Reactions: 1 user