Drawbar Trailer Hitch

5thhorseman

Equipment
B7000, Allied 95 FEL, Sovema Tiller, Blade, on 3 overgrown acres
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Realised this summer it might be useful to have a trailer hitch on my B7000 so I can haul things around the property using the trailer I normally hitch up to the car, though I'd have to wait for drier days to avoid getting it stuck.

Things to haul include produce, firewood, manure, lumber.

Found this on ebay and wondering if it's a good choice:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Point-Cat-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdcd3ac4#shId

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I think you are right, the 2nd one does look better.

The one issue I have heard of with these is ridding up / lifting the 3 point hitch. Maybe some with more knowledge on this will chime in.

E/S

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Cummings, I really appreciate you making your first post on this thread! I was looking at all the options and was leaning back towards the one at the first link I posted, and then saw your link for essentially the same thing at a lower price, with a few extra bits and pieces to boot!

In the end I don't have a drawbar, so buying an all-in-one solution makes sense. Will give them a call first thing tomorrow morning.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Cummings, I really appreciate you making your first post on this thread! I was looking at all the options and was leaning back towards the one at the first link I posted, and then saw your link for essentially the same thing at a lower price, with a few extra bits and pieces to boot!

In the end I don't have a drawbar, so buying an all-in-one solution makes sense. Will give them a call first thing tomorrow morning.
You may still need a solution to lock the lift arms from jumping up if you have uneven weight distribution in the trailer.
dave

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
You may still need a solution to lock the lift arms from jumping up if you have uneven weight distribution in the trailer.
dave
B7100, I have thought about that too. You could always make two draw bar stay straps that go from the lower 3pt hitch pins to the tractor end of the upper link. That is what the older Ford tractors used, like on the 8N.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
B7100, I have thought about that too. You could always make two draw bar stay straps that go from the lower 3pt hitch pins to the tractor end of the upper link. That is what the older Ford tractors used, like on the 8N.

Yes,I have the same setup on my 1953 petrol/Tvo TE20. if one uses a farm trailer where the wheels are at the rear,so much weight is transfered to the hitch that there is no chance of it lifting so they are only really needed if the trailer has wheels that are near the point of balance.
If the op is using the latter type of trailer it might one of the reasons he gets stuck as the trailer doesnt put enough weight on the wheels
Dave

Last edited:

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
The best solution is to not buy when you've got a tool that can already do the job. Just as I was about to buy I realised that I might be able to use my blade implement, but without the blade itself, if the ball bolt fit through the holes. Seems it does.

Haven't tried to hook up the trailer yet, but it should work:

DSC02396.jpg

Still have to sort out the weight distribution issue though.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm not sure about that one 5thhorseman, its a cheap idea but your tractor has to pick up the weight of the plow plus the weight of the trailer and its load. It might work great moving empty trailers around. Plus I dont know how well the bolt will hold up that the moldboard is attatched to.

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
It does work, not the greatest, but does have some advantages.

I usesd it on 3 different trailers, all with very light tonge weights. The weight is the biggest concern, the next is speed.

Pro - with the trailer 3-4 ft behind the tractor, it is easier to put the tong exactly where you want without moving laterally.

Con - With the trailer that far behind the tractor, if you are moving quickly, or across rouph terrian, it can start rocking.

I have since upgraded to a drawbar on a quick hitch, I welded a tab so that the drawbar wont roll too far. The drawbar is preatty cheap, and much easier to carry around. I leave it on nearly all summer. I still have the ball on my rear blade, keep the blade on all winter, so when i need to move my trailers for snow, dont have to keep swapping.

Attachments

CBMAMF5

Equipment
B2630, Loader, Scraper, Snowblower
Apr 19, 2011
Sauk Rapids, MN
I purchased this from OMNI Mfg. also. I had a plate added that holds 40 pound weights also. although you can get without. Robustly built and I like that it extends away from the tractor a bit. It lets me work trailers into tighter spots.

Attachments

Last edited: