drain plug torque values?

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
i know i know, snug it up. I learned the hard way one time that its best to use a torque wrench on oil/differential bolts. Its time for my 50 hr service and would like to know if anyone knows the oil pan drain plug torque value and the hydrostatic drain plug torque value as well. Me and the dealer looked through the service manual for 20 minutes today and found every torque number under the sun but those two. The techs laughed at us and said you just snug it up. Im sure to a guy who does it day in and out thats fine but i just wanna know because well.....i do.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
i know i know, snug it up. I learned the hard way one time that its best to use a torque wrench on oil/differential bolts. Its time for my 50 hr service and would like to know if anyone knows the oil pan drain plug torque value and the hydrostatic drain plug torque value as well. Me and the dealer looked through the service manual for 20 minutes today and found every torque number under the sun but those two. The techs laughed at us and said you just snug it up. Im sure to a guy who does it day in and out thats fine but i just wanna know because well.....i do.
I would say 45-50 lbs would do nicely, as you will have to take it off by hand...:D

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
I understand where your coming from. I have seen some pretty Easley striped plugs. The sealing washer is the main problem That they drip. The torque value will depend on the thread and bolt size, cast or stamped steel pan. (In my opinion) that's why the just snug, answers. Anyway, I just snug'em than another 1/4 turn. I'll check In some manuals and try to find some torque spec's for ya.....

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
The size of the plug is mandatory for the proper torque.
But: on the ''SAFE'' side. Up to grade 4.
I would think with a good seal washer, these torque spec's will work just fine.
6mm, 5.8-6.8lb
8mm, 13-15lb
10mm, 29-33lb
12mm, 47-53lb

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
The BX is a sheet metal drain pain, some of the L series use aluminum ones.

I usually torque the drain plugs around 20ft lbs....which is plenty for that application. They do strip out easily if you crank them too hard. Make sure to buy replacement copper washers and replace when needed, that will help keep the seal and keep you from over tightening the plug.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most drain plugs on Kubota's use a true sealing washer, So NO torque is required.
If it has a rubber washer it's just a snug tight fit, snug means thread till bottomed then using a standard wrench or 3/8 socket wrench pull the handle till snug, normally about 1/4 of a turn, over tightening will ruin the seal, less is more.
If the seal on the plug is a copper washer then snug + a little more will do, if it leaks replace the washer, don't keep tightening.

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
i used my torque wrench to remove the factory tightened bolts and just watched at what level they broke free. it was between 15-20ft lbs for the oil pan and 45ish for the hyrdo drain plug. when i put it all back together i went with 15 on the oil pan and 40 on the hyrdo. I noticed those metal washers with a rubber center that Kubota uses also. I didnt have any leaks after filling and running for 30 min so im gonna call that good. I did find some concerning stuff in my hydro fluid and on my screen. There were bits and GOBS of what appeared to be silver silicon or RVT sealant. Some came out with the drain and on the screen but i saw more in the bottom on the hydro through the screen hole that i couldnt get to. Ill start a new thread for that though with pictures. Im not sure what im going to do about that but i think i need to at least contact my dealer or kubota corporate as it cant be a good thing long term.....