Digging question

Elou795

Apr 28, 2013
Manitoba Canada
Hello all, first post here looks like I'm going to be buying a new bx2360 but I have a few questions first. How is the fel for digging, I want to put in a cement pad for a new garage so I would like to dig 32 feet by 24feet by 12 inches deep. Can the bx2360 do this or would it be too hard on the machine. Also I'm lookin for a rear blade for the tractor to spread gravel but I don't see any on the kubota website, is there an after market option.

I currently have a John Deere L130 with a cutter and front snowblower, I think that for now I will just by the kubota with the fel and rear blade since my John Deere works good for cutting the grass, I don't like the idea of cutting the grass with the kubota and having the fel on while I do it. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yes the tractor will dig out your pad for the garage. Won't be an instant over night success but if you take your time it will do it. There are tons of after market box blades available for tractors. I doesn't have to be from Kubota. Box blades work so much better and faster for dragging, spreading and moving material. Just a straight rear blade will do it but not as efficient. And lastly you can mow grass just fine with the Kubota. The loaders today are designed on a quick disconnect setup with no tools required. So you can take the loader on and off in a matter of minutes.

Elou795

Apr 28, 2013
Manitoba Canada
Thanks for the reply, I guess I could get a box blade and use the teeth to rip the material for my pad to make things easier for the tractor. Everything implements seems to have some good box blades?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Beyond digging out a garage pad, what do you plan for your tractor? You will quickly learn that you need tire diameter and tractor weight to push a loader blade through the dirt. Depending on the size of your lot and future projects you may want to go bigger.
Out here in Washington I see that Home Depot is renting out Kubota BX25 backhoes at a reasonable rate. I'd recommend renting one for a day or an afternoon, and see how it actually does, before springing for the package.
Yes, it will most likely dig your pad, but most of us go too small for our first tractor, and end up wishing we had done differently...

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
As others have said the tractor will do the digging but it may be more of a chore than expected. Using a box blade to break up the ground and the loader to scoop up the loose dirt is probably the best option. A tooth rake bolted to the bucket is an excellent investment if you plan on doing much digging.

Elou795

Apr 28, 2013
Manitoba Canada
Thanks for all the replies, I have about 2.3 acres so I don't think I need that big of a tractor that's why I chose the bx2360. As far as digging the garage pad that's probably the only heavy digging this machine will ever do most of the time it will be used for spreading topsoil and gravel.

I plan to use the box blade to level low spots, I have around an acre that was horse pasture and it's really rough I was hopping to use the box blade with the teeth and rip up the grass and level slowly over a period of time, I don't want to do it all at once and overwork the tractor.

As far as tires would the terf tires work for digging and using the box balde in a field or would I need to get another set?

Thanks, again

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ag tires will give you the best traction with digging and grading. Commonly refereed to in the tire world as R1's. You wont really be over working the tractor between digging the pad site for the garage and working the horse field. With a Kubota you'll loose traction long before you'll loose power. Liquid ballast in the rear tires makes a night and day difference with traction.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK from someone that has a 2360,, YES the little beast will dig more than you can imagine ,, though you have to remember its a little tractor,, by all means gouge up all you can and use the bucket to clean it up but don't be afraid of digging in either,, It will let you know when its enough,,
she will dig, just remember it is a SMALL TRACTOR and you have to take small bites, and trust me no matter how long it takes its going to be a lot faster than a shovel and wheel barrow, and besides you get to play too,,,lol

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by liquid ballast in the rear tires can you elaborate
Filling the tires with a non-freezing, non-corosive liquid adds weight, which increases traction and stability. If you have all 4 tires filled, or at least the rear tires (which is ballast to counteract the weight in the loaded loader bucket), it will give you better traction, as well as increase the stability of your tractor on uneven ground. Any tractor will benefit from fluid-filled tires.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just bought a BX2360 2 weeks ago.

Trust me; you want a ballast box or tire ballast for the FEL. With the FEL on, rear traction needs some help. I loaded the rears on mine; no ballast box. Also, I mowed with mine for the first time the other day, and it seems pretty good, without the FEL on (to mow my lawn, my tractor needs to be part mountain goat). Even though I just got it, I can take the FEL off in 2 minutes, on again in 10.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i keep the backhoe or some other implement attached on the back. with the tires loaded and the rear equipment on, i do pretty good with the fel… i still find myself lifting the back end, if i catch a root or big rock...

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Thread hijack! (Sorry about that)

RCW- I used to live in Greene, moved out here a couple years ago. Had to get away from all the taxes in NY.:D

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i found that i only use the box blade as a ripper. and i use the bucket for everything else.
as i can see what i'm doing as i back up smoothing with the bucket.. i would of been better off getting a ripper with removable teeth to use in ground clean up after brushing. and for swapping from teeth to disk for planting furrows… just an idea...

Elou795

Apr 28, 2013
Manitoba Canada
Well it's a done deal bought a bx2370 with loader, also ordered a 48" box blade from everything implements it is being made as we speak. Dealer will deliver the tractor next week.

Regarding break in, I know not to go full throttle for the first 50 hours but besides varying the rpm can iWork this thing from day one?

Dumb question, how to you vary the speed of the pto is it through the throttle if so doesn't that affect the speed. I'm not looking to race this tractor but if I want to set the pto slow will it severely affect the speed for the tractor?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welll you can work her right from the get go just take it easy till you get some hours and experience on the girl,, and trust me once you get the hang of her its all fun after that,, Just remember it is a small tractor you aint digin with a D8 or 988 so take it slow and easy and LEARN your machine and you will find out it will do much more than you though,, just plan ahead before you start and try to think the job through,, and the most important thing,,, HAVE FUN with it

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Just a note on the digging no one mentioned:

Rocks may be an issue, If you find one the FEL can't really get out you may have a hard time with out a backhoe.

One tricked I found works well is to set your center ripper on your box blade all the way down, and set your other ones all the way up. Hook a corner of the rock with the ripper and drive forward. Most small rocks will come right out and leave a hole only about the size of the rock. A back hoe is gonna leave a hole the size of the bucket, or bigger.

Using this trick I was able to rip out a concrete pier about 1.5' long, from the top it looked like a rock. My B7200 TLB resides at my parents house so I don't always have it at my disposal.

Orange2009

Equipment
Kubota BX25, BH, FEL, 60" belly mower, 48" tiller, Middle buster, Stripe kit etc
Mar 25, 2013
Oxford, Ohio
I noticed that you already purchaced, I was going to reccomend the BX25 instead, as i use my BH way more than i ever thought i would. and I have found that the loader is useless for anything heavyer than mulch if i dont have the BH attached. gravel, sand, dirt are a nogo unless i have some attachment on the rear. As far as digging there are lots of folks here happy with digging but i have found that it just doesnt dig. there isnt enough weight or Hyd power. BUT if i use my middle buster plow and "rip" first it does amazing. Good luck and congrats on the new purchace.