DIFFERENTIAL will not unlock

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Have you tried Maine Tractor Crossing in Waldorboro Maine?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Have you tried Maine Tractor Crossing in Waldorboro Maine?
Yes, I have tried them but they did not have any.

Just got the parts I need from West Kentucky Tractor Parts.:D:D:D
They were great to deal with - HIGHLY RECOMMEND! :)
Also had parts that I needed for another tractor. :cool:

Now the only thing left to do is pay the bill when it comes in, install the parts when they comes in, hopefully remember how everything goes back together :confused: and pray for some good luck.

Thanks for everyone's help!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yes, I have tried them but they did not have any.

Just got the parts I need from West Kentucky Tractor Parts.:D:D:D
They were great to deal with - HIGHLY RECOMMEND! :)
Also had parts that I needed for another tractor. :cool:

Now the only thing left to do is pay the bill when it comes in, install the parts when they comes in, hopefully remember how everything goes back together :confused: and pray for some good luck.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Keep us posted on the install. Did you determine what broke the pins and gear?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Keep us posted on the install. Did you determine what broke the pins and gear?
There are 4 pins on the shift diff lock. Over time 2 of them scored the diff case and gear diff slide not allowing for proper locking this lead to catastrophic failure.

The funny part is that the rear axle was still locked with all this damage and broken parts hanging around.

Broke: shift diff lock, diff case, gear diff slide LH & RH,washer diff pinion, 2 washers, shaft diff pinion scored (junk) and shaft diff gear LH scored but salvageable. :(

Luckly, West Kentucky Tractor Parts had everything and has been shipped.

I will keep you posted but it will take some time, I am not firing on all cylinders right now. Last Friday doctor said 4 to 8 MORE months before full recovery - light duty no more than 10lbs for next 2 months. Ever try and work on a tractor and not exert more than 10bls of force? DAM I hate this down time. Hopefully what he does not know will not hurt me.:D

I just have to go slow and stop before I start to feel an increase in pain otherwise I get to hold the couch down, again, for another week before trying anything.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Somebody, organize a field trip to Maine. Under olthumpa's direction, we can help get his tractor back together. If it were only that simple.
I'm sorry that you are hobbled. At least you made it this far, and know what is wrong- that is the hump to get over. If you think it will be a while, and you are concerned about remembering where everything goes, write it down now before you forget. Or, do a video documentary as you point and list what goes where and in what order. I know that I would forget within a week...

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Thanks for your kind words.

As soon as I get the parts in, I plan on starting the reassembly process - SLOOOWLY! If it takes a week it takes a week. If it takes a two week it takes a two week etc. Better that then trying to put it back together in one day and end up back in surgery and months of rehab again.

As you can see in some of the pics i posted, I put as many bolts, nuts, washers etc back where I removed them from. I also laid out all the parts that I removed in the order in which they came off. I also have a complete service manual and parts schematic. Also took plenty of pics.

Noowwww if I could only remember where I put the rest of the tractor. :confused::confused:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
LOOK what Santa left on the porch today. :D

PS. He was in disguise for the summer, he was in brown with a brown sleigh. :cool:

Attachments

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
How much did they charge you?

You won't believe what they quoted me on that one gear today.
Are you talking about the NO 7, Part Number 35200-26100, ASSY DIFFERENTIAL or NO 4, Part Number RING GEAR?

$558 shipped for what you see. [Part Number 35200-26100, ASSY DIFFERENTIAL - they left the bearings on charge].

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I had a long conversation with them yesterday and I told him several times it was a 7001 but he insisted that I had a 7000. He told me that he has a set of gears that would work but I had to replace both at a cost of $300. I finally told him to stop........I made it clear that I have a 7001 and that the gears may be different than the 7000. So finally he says 'oh yeah, we have that, $150" and then goes on and on about how they have the only gear I'll ever find and to call back when I get done looking for what does not exist.

I don't know if I trust them or not?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I had a long conversation with them yesterday and I told him several times it was a 7001 but he insisted that I had a 7000. He told me that he has a set of gears that would work but I had to replace both at a cost of $300. I finally told him to stop........I made it clear that I have a 7001 and that the gears may be different than the 7000. So finally he says 'oh yeah, we have that, $150" and then goes on and on about how they have the only gear I'll ever find and to call back when I get done looking for what does not exist.

I don't know if I trust them or not?
What is their policy? Can you return it if it isn't the right one?

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
For what its worth, I have had good experience with Western Kentucky Tractor Parts. I had a non-working 4wd on my L275, determined the problem, called them and gave them the part number that I needed. Unfortunately I gave them the incorrect part number for one of the pieces. It was all my mistake. I called them and told them of the problem and which piece I actually needed. They sent me the right piece and took the wrong piece back, no problems. They had actually sent the new piece before I got the return en route.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Well, "SLOOOWLY" has turned out to be slower and more involved than I had originally hoped. After looking at all the pieces and metal shavings on the bottom of the casing I decided to take the rest of the tractor apart back to the fly wheel "just" to see what I might find. It fought me the whole way but I got it apart.

What I have learned:

The PTO engaging gears were pretty chewed up - accounting for some of the extra metal in the case. Lucked out and was able to trade some spare parts with a friend that had an extra set $$$ saved.

The steering was loose so I had already planed to service it while the tractor was down. Three bolts were loose on the steering box, one ready to fall out.:eek:

Had planned to rewire the tractor anyways. Now with everything apart it will be easier.

Now the shocker! Looks like I am in for some clutch work also :mad: and $$$. Need to replace the PTO clutch plate, (something got between the flywheel and clutch plate and chewed it up, explane's the PTO gears), through out barring, resurface the flywheel, replace the bolts that the
through out barring rides on when clutch peddle is depressed and maybe the hub clutch release.

Questions:

The
hub clutch release, should there be any play up/down - side to side if any? I have a small amount.

Kit, nut& bolt item # 35290-14600 = $67.36 each and need three. (Colman Equipment)
PTO Clutch plate #382560-14450 - $93 (ebay).
Through out barring # 38430-14820- $33.24 (ebay).

Any idea where I can get them cheaper?

Also, anything else I should be doing while I am this far into this simple repair and eating my Ramen noodles for dinner?

I will be servicing the breaks, changing some O rings and oil seals, and is there anything else in particular that I should not over look?

I really hope NOT to be tearing into this tractor this far again as long as I have it which I hope will be for a while to come.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Attachments

Last edited: