Diesel smoke puffs upon acceleration L4310

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
So I have a 2002 L4310 with 620 hours on it. It’s used for flail mowing. The tractor would always let out a quick puff of dark smoke upon startup. No problem. Now it’s letting out a puff of smoke when I stab the throttle pedal or quickly increase the hand throttle. The smoke might have hints of white or blue in it, hard to say. All pretty minor and tractor runs fine. I just changed the engine oil and filter, no change in the smoke condition. Antifreeze smells clean. Oil that came out looked normal. Air cleaner appears clean. This tractor runs at full throttle much of the time mowing, and I did start fueling it from diesel in the transfer tank in my pickup. But it’s filtered and same brand diesel I always ran. I want to be sure I’m not facing some looming mechanical problem. Thoughts?

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I don't think you have much to worry about. If the air filter is truly clean it might be something internal to the injection pump that has changed slightly. Are the locking tie wires still in place on the pump? Maybe someone will respond that knows more than me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Black smoke indicated unburned fuel. You've checked the obvious, with the air filter being clean I'd put some injector cleaner in the fuel the next few fill ups and see how that does.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
That isn't abnormal for a diesel.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Thanks guys. I was thinking of putting some additive in it. I think what’s abnormal is that it never used to do this.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m with the other guys; not a big concern.
Maybe some injector cleaner like ‘Cat suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
I’m with the other guys; not a big concern.
Maybe some injector cleaner like ‘Cat suggested.

I had this problem with smoke. You always want to add a fungi's killer to the fuel, I also put seafoam in the fuel. It looks to me your tractor sits a lot so you want to add additives to the fuel. Fuel today has a shelf live. It cost me $ 800.00 about 7-8 years ago I had to have the injection pump and the injectors rebuild, I did all the work on the tractor. I took it to a shop that specializes in diesel injection pumps. This was all about the bad fuel the fungus grows more in cold weather as in hot.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I agree, if you want to add an additive to your fuel an Algaecide might be the best. Biodiesel that sits in the tank of an occasional use piece of equipment and hot weather are perfect conditions for problems.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I run my tractor 5 days a week, 5 or 6 hours a day for a month straight and then it sees occasional use for a couple of months, and then it gets run a month straight again. The fuel is pretty fresh that goes into it. Maybe sits in my transfer tank a couple of weeks. Other tractors are being fueled from the same tank without issue.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I also have exactly the same tractor you have. On start up, there is a puff of black smoke but thereafter absolutely never see smoke. I have 900 hrs on mine. So something has changed it appears. I would go the biocide route to start with and then maybe some fuel injector cleaner.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Well, mines a GST with a foot throttle. The little smoke puffs are most notable with a stab of the foot throttle. I will try the biocide and some injector cleaner. What injector cleaner do y’all recommend?

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
I have a 97 L4200 with GST and mine does exactly the same thing. I’ve only had the tractor for a month. I assumed it’s normal. It happens when I tap the foot throttle. It has 1500 hours and runs great. I will try some algaecide and then maybe some powerservice. I sure hope it’s not an issue and I don’t think it is. I liken it to flooring my old 7.3 Powerstroke. Too much fuel and it will make smoke. My new 6.7 won’t make any smoke.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have a 6.7 too...on my 4th one. Great engines. My new Kubota MX4800 has a DPF and does not smoke either.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Well, mines a GST with a foot throttle. The little smoke puffs are most notable with a stab of the foot throttle. I will try the biocide and some injector cleaner. What injector cleaner do y’all recommend?
BG DFC Plus, it is far more effective than Power Service.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
I have a 97 L4200 with GST and mine does exactly the same thing. I’ve only had the tractor for a month. I assumed it’s normal. It happens when I tap the foot throttle. It has 1500 hours and runs great. I will try some algaecide and then maybe some powerservice. I sure hope it’s not an issue and I don’t think it is. I liken it to flooring my old 7.3 Powerstroke. Too much fuel and it will make smoke. My new 6.7 won’t make any smoke.

If you’re talking a modern ram with a 6.7 cummins you won’t see any smoke because of the after-treatment. The dpf picks that all up and then burns it off during a regeneration cycle. Those 7.3 powerstrokes don’t make near the power or torque of a modern pickup, both being in stock trim, but man were they great. I’m always on the lookout for an unmolested, clean late 90’s early 00’s 7.3 or 5.9 to pick up but they go for beaucoup bucks.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If you’re talking a modern ram with a 6.7 cummins you won’t see any smoke because of the after-treatment. The dpf picks that all up and then burns it off during a regeneration cycle. Those 7.3 powerstrokes don’t make near the power or torque of a modern pickup, both being in stock trim, but man were they great. I’m always on the lookout for an unmolested, clean late 90’s early 00’s 7.3 or 5.9 to pick up but they go for beaucoup bucks.
I believe he’s talking about a modern Powerstroke 6.7...they have the same displacement as a Cummins 6.7. The Ford 6.7 has a DPF as well and won’t smoke.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I learned about Stanadyne here on the Orange forum. The point was made that, Stanadyne builds injectors and fuel pumps and they know what wears and what lessens that wear.

I use their lubricity formula in every tank of fuel. I also use their injector cleaner, as well as a dab of diesel stabilizer upon transport tank fill-up. -Forget the brand. Once a year I run an algeacide through the machine on a full tank.

We are lucky in AZ because its very dry out here due to the drought. That lessens our chance of an algae bloom but, it's also warm out here, which raises the possibility. Its good to treat it once a year. You never know what's in the fuel you transport to your tractor. A little in your transport/storage tank helps prevent fuel turning into a science project while waiting to use it.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL

I bought a F250 in August of 1994. It has the very first 1994.5 direct injected Powerstroke diesel. It has a 5 speed with 4:10 rear axle ratio. It pulls anything I need pulled. Still have it and had 165K miles on it