Diesel additive

Baltimoremike

Jan 4, 2013
Maryland
Just wanted to get a consensus from all of you, how many of you use a diesel additive and what type, and what is the benefit. I have an L3200 and the dealer recommended I use an additive but when I questioned him as to why, he really didn't have a great answer. Also, can I use off road diesel without any problems. Thanks

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
search first is a wise thing to do as a new member. For example there is threads in here already on this topic. Best to read them then ask any other questions inside that thread than to rehash within a new thread.

Baltimoremike

Jan 4, 2013
Maryland
search first is a wise thing to do as a new member. For example there is threads in here already on this topic. Best to read them then ask any other questions inside that thread than to rehash within a new thread.
Why?

In the time it took you to type that you could have just answered my question. Sorry to inconvenience you and to have broken some sort of unspoken rule of the message board. Glad you are on the job properly policing this sight.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One person writing an answer will not give you the big picture.

Please clam down, no need to call people the "forum Police" for giving good advice.

Because as coachgeo tried to explain there is several posts that have the exact answer you are looking for, and you wouldn't have to wait for days and months to get the same answers.

Here are a couple examples:

Fuel:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15886&highlight=additives

Additives:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12764&highlight=additives

Islandguy

Equipment
L3800DT, 1964 Allice Chalmers D15
May 10, 2014
NW Wa
One person writing an answer will not give you the big picture.

Please clam down, no need to call people the "forum Police" for giving good advice.

Because as coachgeo tried to explain there is several posts that have the exact answer you are looking for, and you wouldn't have to wait for days and months to get the same answers.

Here are a couple examples:

Fuel:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15886&highlight=additives

Additives:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12764&highlight=additives
On that first archive post, you mentioned that red fuel was the same, I was under the impression that the red fuel was still low sulfur not the ultra low stuff . Dont know where I heard that but was wondering if that was true.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On that first archive post, you mentioned that red fuel was the same, I was under the impression that the red fuel was still low sulfur not the ultra low stuff . Dont know where I heard that but was wondering if that was true.
I'm pretty sure that all diesel fuel that is being sold, on and off road is ULSD fuel, but ask the station where you get it they should know the exact answer.

Loner16

Equipment
B-7800
In my small town, I have only one option for diesel, and it is for "on-road" use. It doesn't bother me anymore, and I could apply to the state to get some of the difference back, but I don't bother.

I used to use Power Service, until I read quite a comprehensive test on additives, and I now use Opti-Lube XPD.

http://opti-lube.com/

I have no empirical data that it is better than the Power Service I used to use, or nothing at all, for that matter, but it makes me feel better!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Why?

In the time it took you to type that you could have just answered my question. Sorry to inconvenience you and to have broken some sort of unspoken rule of the message board. Glad you are on the job properly policing this sight.

As wolfman mentions.... there is no "single answer" thus it would have taken way more time than you expected. Maybe days to write out a complete logial answer? Might as well be a Doctoral Dissertation lol.

Once you read threads on the topic you'll see it's a long drawn out complex thing. Many post are based on personal preference and less on science so take your pick from there.

oh and unspoken rule.... Nope it is not unspoken. try this one..... it's pretty funny. Oh and it's rule number two :p

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
I've searched this topic in the past, as mentioned, no definite answer. I was actually googling yesterday as I got some deisel for my Bx. Apparently the station I get my fuel has switched to the ultra low sulfer deisel. I started pouring it in the tank and noticed it's clear, not blueish as in the past. Doesn't seem to have quite the strong odor either. I searched to see what it was and if anything should be added for my 2003 kubota. The answers are all over the place. The only thing that most seemed to agree on is that an additive with lubrication properties should be added. No particular brand/type seems to come into agreement for the majority. Pick one with a lubricant and enjoy your tractor.

OklahomaBill

Equipment
B7300
Sep 17, 2014
Oklahoma
Re: Diesel additive?... With todays low sulphur diesel fuel

Any additive is probably better than no additive. Look for one that replaces some of the lost lubrication. Most of the brand names all have quality products that will work well in your tractor. Follow the manufacturer recommendation on the lable for the mixing ratio... More is not always better.

For what it's worth, I use widely available Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
oregon
You've only been able to buy ULSD for years now. In fact, in OR at least, even heating oil is ULSD. Yes I realize they're the same but the point is the only make the one flavor now.
I ran into a guy with an older gen logging truck a while back, pouring 2 stroke oil in the fuel. He claimed to have messed around with ratios and 2% oil was the best and gave him 5% better mileage than straight ULSD. That makes sense with as ULSD has less lubricity than old school diesel.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
As wolfman mentions.... there is no "single answer" thus it would have taken way more time than you expected. Maybe days to write out a complete logial answer? Might as well be a Doctoral Dissertation lol.

Once you read threads on the topic you'll see it's a long drawn out complex thing. Many post are based on personal preference and less on science so take your pick from there.

oh and unspoken rule.... Nope it is not unspoken. try this one..... it's pretty funny. Oh and it's rule number two :p

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf
That link made me shoot Old Grand Dad out of my nose last night. Thank you, I needed the laugh

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Any additive is probably better than no additive. Look for one that replaces some of the lost lubrication. Most of the brand names all have quality products that will work well in your tractor. Follow the manufacturer recommendation on the lable for the mixing ratio... More is not always better.

For what it's worth, I use widely available Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement.

I use to think the same thing.......adding stuff is better than the stuff coming out of the nozzle.......hell I added many a can of stp, and what was the stuff ....o yeah....slick 50........never lost an engine with any of that....but then again, if I had NOT used it ......I will never know....

getting back to diesel and fuel, in the old days - (back 10 +) the sulfur IN the diesel was a added bonus, kinda like lead in gas, it made thing go easier, it was, lack of a better term - a lubricate. Helped all moving parts....

well BOTH of those products pollute our mother earth.....so we take that stuff out......

good read :

http://extension.psu.edu/natural-re...arm-program/educational-materials/diesel-fuel

if you have an older car - it helps to add "stuff" to the gas ....BECAUSE that engine was designed to run a certain type gas.......older diesels also needed the sulfur.......

YOU would not want to run 1970's gas in our catalytic cars........well we could.......but ....

diesel fuel has stuff in it already to control the biggest enemies - algae and gel. Diesel fuel goes through a blend change during the hot and cold months, BUT sometimes it is NOT enough - or some people like us dont burn off ALL the summer blend before the winter comes in.

I would not get in the habit of adding stuff......unless you have a tractor made in the 70's ......80's maybe - those need the sulfur, a new kubota should not need anything added ......unless you get stain long sitting fuel.

Adding a sulfur replacement is fine and might be needed if the year of tractor requires it.

I do agree - add too much is bad.......do what the bottle/can says!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA

I would not get in the habit of adding stuff......unless you have a tractor made in the 70's ......80's maybe - those need the sulfur, a new kubota should not need anything added ......unless you get stain long sitting fuel.

Adding a sulfur replacement is fine and might be needed if the year of tractor requires it.

I do agree - add too much is bad.......do what the bottle/can says!
I recall Wolfman saying that. Something on the line of the newer tractors were designed for low sulfur fuel. I run Marvels Mystery Oil with my b7100 because it is from the 70's. Does it make a difference? I have no idea but it sure can't hurt it because that's what it was designed for. Plus It's been around for a very long time. Others use ATF fluid to replace the sulfur and 2 stroke oil like stated above. I run MMM because it tells me how much to put in. I can't see 2stroke oil burning clean in diesel, it sure doesn't in gasoline except the new synthetic stuff (expensive!). But then again, I really don't know it's just my opinion.

We've run the power service winter/summer additive in the b2910 since it was new and never had a problem with it. With the winter stuff, Never had a gel problem and last winter was like living in Siberia. We also use quality fuel that is cut properly for winter use so that helps with anti gelling.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I recall Wolfman saying that. Something on the line of the newer tractors were designed for low sulfur fuel. I run Marvels Mystery Oil with my b7100 because it is from the 70's. Does it make a difference? I have no idea but it sure can't hurt it because that's what it was designed for. Plus It's been around for a very long time. Others use ATF fluid to replace the sulfur and 2 stroke oil like stated above. I run MMM because it tells me how much to put in. I can't see 2stroke oil burning clean in diesel, it sure doesn't in gasoline except the new synthetic stuff (expensive!). But then again, I really don't know it's just my opinion.

We've run the power service winter/summer additive in the b2910 since it was new and never had a problem with it. With the winter stuff, Never had a gel problem and last winter was like living in Siberia. We also use quality fuel that is cut properly for winter use so that helps with anti gelling.
I have used MMO too - love the smell and like what it does for the engine (gas)
I have heard people say is messes up rubber o rings and plastic stuff.....but it too have been around a long time - it must do something - hell I buy it in the 1/2 gallon containers!