Deer whistles

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
In Arizona, it is illegal to harvest road kill deer or elk for personal use. (out of season, no permit)
Fish & game used to harvest road kill deer & elk and deliver the meat to local shelters to feed the homeless. But then the ACLU stepped in and sued the state, claiming the state was discriminating against the poor by feeding them meat that was not USDA inspected. So the practice was outlawed, the homeless go hungry, and now roadkill is wasted or fed to the re-introduced Mexican Grey Wolf.
Three cheers for the ACLU.
Morons.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There was an episode on Seinfeld where the bakery was giving the donut holes to the folks on the street. Those receiving the donut holes were upset because they didn't get the donut!

Maybe they should have gotten deer whistles so they'd have something to blow their hot air into.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: where the bakery was giving the donut holes

Up here Tim Hortons has made BILLIONS selling them, TimBits....

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have felt the whistles (and all the other snake oil devices) simply inform the deer of a potential target.:p

Seriously though, the deer by the side of the road (squirrels and other creatures) hear the oncoming vehicle. They freeze. When they feel like it is just about upon them, they bolt, sometimes right into you.
I've had close to half a dozen deer collisions. Once a herd was mid way standing in a blind corner, once the deer ran in to the passenger door., the rest the deer tried to cross the road and had bad timing.
All you can do is stay vigilant, look for the eyes at night, know where they tend to cross.
Be careful out there.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
....Seriously though, the deer by the side of the road (squirrels and other creatures) hear the oncoming vehicle. They freeze. ...
The reason deer freeze is because of how they see, not hearing. A deers eyes do not move. They see the entire picture at one time. So to see best, they stop moving completely. Once they do that (at night) the light receptor cones in their eyes are overloaded causing an additional delay. Hearing something causes the same reaction of freezing, but again it is to aid in their vision.

I posted a couple links earlier in the thread of a professor explaining all about how deer see. Fascinating really.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Most animal scare devices work until the animal learns they are harmless. That may not take long.

Bruce

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I've been driving for over 40 years, the last 20 of which are well over 100k a year. The majority of my driving is at night. I have seen more deer than I can count over the years, so have become quite accustomed to their usual modus operandi.
I ran deer whistles for 2 years and I swear that they seemed to actually spook the deer into jumping onto the road at the last second when i got close to them.
Off went the deer whistles and on went wicked sets of LED driving lights and bars. I can see anything (terrain permitting) thats within 500 yards in a 150 degree arc in front of my truck, even a mouse lol.
I see deer along the bush line that most other drivers don't even know they are there.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
In Arizona, it is illegal to harvest road kill deer or elk for personal use. (out of season, no permit)
Fish & game used to harvest road kill deer & elk and deliver the meat to local shelters to feed the homeless. But then the ACLU stepped in and sued the state, claiming the state was discriminating against the poor by feeding them meat that was not USDA inspected. So the practice was outlawed, the homeless go hungry, and now roadkill is wasted or fed to the re-introduced Mexican Grey Wolf.
Three cheers for the ACLU.
Morons.

You’d be happy to know that in WA, it’s permissible to harvest road kill as long as you call it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
When I'm back in the woodpile working, my wife can whistle by putting some fingers in her mouth and making a noise I can't duplicate, and it's REAL loud.

That's a dear whistle, same thing?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
no.. the deer whistles are above human hearing ( ultrasonic). there was a US guv study that proved they are bogus, they tested deer's hearing..... and deer can't hear them !

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I am on two police call sheets for road kill in our area and usually get 2-4 deer a year. My sons and I butcher them and most gets given away depending on the hunting season.

You need a special "road kill" tag. It is illegal to just pick it up and take it home.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
If they were really effective I'd think the manufactures would have a whistle built into the plastic on the grill somewhere. But then the lobbyist for the body shops would be at work to not allow that to happen!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well to be honest here in the Keystone, the Ins companies published a report in which it stated that the Keystone was either the highest or one of the highest for deer related accidents. Coincidentally the PaGC ruled, that the following deer season if you had a doe tag you could kill anything that moved. if it's brown put it down. To say it was a slaughter would be an understatement. However I do have to say the deer related accidents showed a reduction and the pay outs, dropped by a substantial margin. It is unclear how much money if any changed hands between the states Ins companies and the PaGC changed hands. There were however new cars trucks and equipment that suddenly appeared.
Take it for what thats worth

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have a Federal Signal Q2B deer whistle that it's tempting to mount on my tractor cab. But along with it adding considerable weight to the top of the roof, there’s just no obvious easy way to route the 4 gauge copper wire needed for power. It would be quite effective though! Mounting it on your passenger vehicle may attract some unwanted attention from the local law enforcement. :D
IMG_2074_2.jpg

IMG_2075_2.jpg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have a Federal Signal Q2B deer whistle that it's tempting to mount on my tractor cab. But along with it adding considerable weight to the top of the roof, there***8217;s just no obvious easy way to route the 4 gauge copper wire needed for power. It would be quite effective though! Mounting it on your passenger vehicle may attract some unwanted attention from the local law enforcement. :D
View attachment 47010

View attachment 47011
Is that an (E)mergency (M)owing (T)ractor?