Deck Adjustment

Bowman

Equipment
BX2680
Apr 16, 2024
Eighty Four, Pa.
I have New BX2680, When mowing the depth adjustment changes I guess when I hit a bump or the anti-scalping wheels come in contact with the ground. How to Tighten the adjustment linkage. Thanks…

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have New BX2680, When mowing the depth adjustment changes I guess when I hit a bump or the anti-scalping wheels come in contact with the ground. How to Tighten the adjustment linkage. Thanks…
Bowman,

welcome to the forum - lots of great folks here to answer all kinds of questions!

First question - WHAT height are you cutting at currently? There is a dial below your legs that is holding the MMM at a certain level "relative" to the ground - I say that, but that dial and real world measurements are not the same.

What you may need to do is adjust the scalping wheel accordingly - so IT will hold the depth you need.

Bowman

Equipment
BX2680
Apr 16, 2024
Eighty Four, Pa.
Bowman,

welcome to the forum - lots of great folks here to answer all kinds of questions!

First question - WHAT height are you cutting at currently? There is a dial below your legs that is holding the MMM at a certain level "relative" to the ground - I say that, but that dial and real world measurements are not the same.

What you may need to do is adjust the scalping wheel accordingly - so IT will hold the depth you need.
I have the dial at 3 and on flat concrete I have the anti-scalp wheels up 1/4” to 1/2” off the ground as it says on the deck.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX has a suspended deck, only the LX has a ground following deck where the wheels hold the height. As you say, the BX wheels are anti-scalping only.

I don't think the OP is saying that his deck occasionally touches the ground (which the anti-scalping wheels would stop). He's saying his deck height adjuster is loose, and changes the set mowing height whilst he's mowing. Usually the height adjust is pretty stiff, so that's reasonably unusual.

My recollection of my BX was that the height adjustment was a very very simple mechanism. I don't recall anything that changed the friction on the knob so that it couldn't adjust itself. Perhaps the fitting it runs through is worn and loose? I don't recall it even having a bearing or a bushing that the shaft went through.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
There’s been quite a few examples here on OTT where the height adjustment has “spun down” on its own on BX tractors, and maybe some B/LX also.

Definitely more prevalent with the BX series as I recall.

The repair was pretty easy as I recall, but darned if I remember what it was.

If you use the Search function on OTT I’ll bet you can find it.

I’m struggling with what search terms to use offhand, but I know it’s been covered quite a few times over the years.

If the tractor is new and under warranty, another option is have the dealer deal with it, but transportation to/from is not part of the warranty.

Bowman

Equipment
BX2680
Apr 16, 2024
Eighty Four, Pa.
There’s been quite a few examples here on OTT where the height adjustment has “spun down” on its own on BX tractors, and maybe some B/LX also.

Definitely more prevalent with the BX series as I recall.

The repair was pretty easy as I recall, but darned if I remember what it was.

If you use the Search function on OTT I’ll bet you can find it.

I’m struggling with what search terms to use offhand, but I know it’s been covered quite a few times over the years.

If the tractor is new and under warranty, another option is have the dealer deal with it, but transportation to/from is not part of the warranty.
Yeah this is Bowman, I traded in a BX 2380 and the deck height adjustment knob was always tuff to turn. My new BX 2680 is so easy compared to the BX2380. When the anti-scalp wheels touch when I hit a bump the setting changes. My question is there anyway I can tighten the adjustment hardwear ??? Thanks…

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@Bowman - -

For your BX, there's examples of the Adjustment Knob ratcheting down on a BX tractor.

I found this about the height adjustment knob turning on its own, if that's what's happening.

Looks like the paint on the detents of the knob let it slip. YMMV.

Hope it's helpful. I know it's come up several times, but be darned if I could find more threads on it.

Mower deck height moving | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there's a detent on the deck height cam. IIRC it's supposed to be bolted to the frame. It kind of keeps the knob from turning on it's own, or it's supposed to anyway. If it is loose, or if it's broken (which is more common than loose), the knob will turn on it's own. Getting TO it, you have to remove the deck from the tractor, then crawl under the tractor and look at where the knob and it's shaft come through. On the very bottom there is a cam which controls the height. The detent is nothing more than a piece of bent metal that rubs against the rough edges of the cam. IF it's there, it will be obvious. IF not, you may see the remainder of it bolted to the frame.