Decision Overload

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
First time tractor buyer. This is a GREAT resource and you guys are all so helpful... beyond even to the members you offer great info for those just reading the posts. I have read MANY MANY of your posts, so thank you!

I THINK I have narrowed down some choices and could now use your personal input please! First, I live on 2.5 acres in AZ- just north of the Phoenix area in the desert. We have a couple of donkeys and an arena to take care of. I have dirt roads to maintain (in and out of our property), gravel driveway, gravel to spread and general hair brain ideas and projects (fencing, moving large boulders, digging out "trees" and bushes, planting new trees and bushes, etc) to do when the mood strikes. This is HARD compacted desert dirt/clay, not sand or fluffy/healthy soil.

I def need a FEL and box scraper. I think this is all I need on my MUST HAVE list. The idea of a backhoe is appealing, and I'm sure I would use it more than I know, but I am not PLANNING to spend extra money on it. Forks sound like a great idea. Both of these would be on my NICE TO HAVE list. I might do odds and ends work for neighbors, too. Have decided on 4x4 and Hydro for sure.

I'm not getting hung up on the HP topic, and think ~25hp is probably sufficient. Although, I often overbuy just to future proof for what I dont know quite yet. My budget is ~$25k all in, and will probably just pay cash. I'm not afraid of used, but am leaning toward "gently used." I also acknowledge that I dont know much about these rigs, so will be taking a leap of faith on any condition of a used tractor.

On to my narrowed options (all HST and 4x4)...

2015 B2601- $21.k, 775 hours, has backhoe
2015 L3301- $24k, unk hours, FEL only
2014 L3200- $23k, 500 hours, FEL only
2024 L2502- $26k, New/0 hours, FEL + BB1266 scraper

Thanks for any help!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
From that list, I'd say the 2014 L3200. Had one and it was OK.

Mine didn't have the QA loader. Would have been nice. I worked around that by making a few implements that fastened to the bucket. The QA on the L4240 allows quick switching between bucket, forks, etc.

Around here you can pick up a used 5' box blade for $500.

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Buy the new L2502. It is new with a warranty; the others could $1K+ you to death with repairs. If you were very familiar with tractors and could do you own wrenching, used might be an option - especially if the price spread were greater.

FWIW, an LX2610 SU or LX 2620 SU has an MSRP price of over $1.5 K below the L2502.

Reactions: 1 user

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
Buy the new L2502. It is new with a warranty; the others could $1K+ you to death with repairs. If you were very familiar with tractors and could do you own wrenching, used might be an option - especially if the price spread were greater.

FWIW, an LX2610 SU or LX 2620 SU has an MSRP price of over $1.5 K below the L2502.
I appreciate this input. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but not much with diesel engines and hydraulics. While the new L2502 is a bit more than I want to spend, and I know it will depreciate faster in the short term, I do find some comfort in this idea.

So many models that crossover each other! I hadnt looked at the LX26XX so I'll go poke around with those now. Thanks for your input!

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I appreciate this input. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but not much with diesel engines and hydraulics. While the new L2502 is a bit more than I want to spend, and I know it will depreciate faster in the short term, I do find some comfort in this idea.

So many models that crossover each other! I hadnt looked at the LX26XX so I'll go poke around with those now. Thanks for your input!
FWIW, tractors do not depreciate like cars and etc.

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
I do not own any of those models.....but....
Used can be a good deal, if you can find a private party with what you want.
Cash will help you GREATLY with a private party, as most buyers do not have cash, and will leap for dealer "free financing" ( simply financing buried in the selling price).
In your "hard compacted desert dirt" a backhoe is almost a must (unless you have dynamite).
You will never buy a backhoe later, as an individual item, it could cost over $10K once mounted, and used BHs are as scarce as hen's teeth.
Absolutely DO get forks!
You will use forks MUCH more than the bucket!

This all puts me strongly in the 2015 B2601 category!
I have a (48 HP) L48 TLB, and like AMEX, I "would not leave home without it"!
It is simply a toy for me, as I am 83 years old.
It is my very strong wheelbarrow, hydraulic lift/swing arm, & digger.
My used machine actually came to me with a hydraulic thumb on the hoe.
251 hours, bought it for cash from a private party in 2019 for $32K.
I think I got a deal , and I'm lovin it!

P.S. You might want to consider a root ripper for your extremely hard dirt.
I think that "B-Expanded" makes one for that machine, and not crazy expensive.
I find my root ripper quite useful for projects other than just roots.
Then too, there are several aftermarket manual thumbs available as well, and not expensive.
Manual is good.....just not quite as slick as hydraulic.

Would love to be there helping you to tractor shop, but we live thousands of miles apart.
I just love the chase!
Took me only 8 months to find mine, and I shopped ONLY on the internet, trying my best to avoid dealers.

Just found a magnificent used 295 hour M62 TLB for a friend.
He bought it (private party).
He has the funds, but I didn't think he would spring for $63,500.
He DID!
Thanks for taking the time to write this out and share your knowledge with me! I've been thinking that the backhoe is really close to being on the MUST HAVE list, but it just narrows my options on what is out there. Fitting into my budget, it also has me downsize which tractor... although I probably can do that given my needs. Anyway, thank you again!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
L2502 with HST would be performing your needs. It’s not worth buying used for a few thousand dollars savings and not having a warranty. But buy the HST. You’ll thank yourself in the future.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't want a box blade to maintain a driveway / Road, you want a land plane.
One thing to note: A tractor that has only 500 hours yet has sat out in the AZ sun and baked might need as much as a 2500 hour tractor that hasn't been baked in the sun.

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You don't want a box blade to maintain a driveway / Road, you want a land plane.
One thing to note: A tractor that has only 500 hours yet has sat out in the AZ sun and baked might need as much as a 2500 hour tractor that hasn't been baked in the sun.
Or a good rear blade with tilt and offset, which is more useful than a land plane.

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
I love watching land planes work their magic. Unfortunately, the dirt roads out here are packed so hard that a box scraper often just skips across the top! (Slam a pick axe down and it makes a dent the size of a quarter!) Sure, fresh dirt added or gravel would change that, but for just trying to fill "pot holes" I think a scraper is unfortunately the only thing I have seen to work. Happy to learn more from you guys though!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I do not own any of those models.....but....
Used can be a good deal, if you can find a private party with what you want.
Cash will help you GREATLY with a private party, as most buyers do not have cash, and will leap for dealer "free financing" ( simply financing buried in the selling price).
In your "hard compacted desert dirt" a backhoe is almost a must (unless you have dynamite).
You will never buy a backhoe later, as an individual item, it could cost over $10K once mounted, and used BHs are as scarce as hen's teeth.
Absolutely DO get forks!
You will use forks MUCH more than the bucket!

This all puts me strongly in the 2015 B2601 category!
I have a (48 HP) L48 TLB, and like AMEX, I "would not leave home without it"!
It is simply a toy for me, as I am 83 years old.
It is my very strong wheelbarrow, hydraulic lift/swing arm, & digger.
My used machine actually came to me with a hydraulic thumb on the hoe.
251 hours, bought it for cash from a private party in 2019 for $32K.
I think I got a deal , and I'm lovin it!

P.S. You might want to consider a root ripper for your extremely hard dirt.
I think that "B-Expanded" makes one for that machine, and not crazy expensive.
I find my root ripper quite useful for projects other than just roots.
Then too, there are several aftermarket manual thumbs available as well, and not expensive.
Manual is good.....just not quite as slick as hydraulic.

Don't spring for the fluffy looking new stuff, then paying tax, and even more for KTCA warranty.
A tractor with 755 hours is actually a proven reliable commodity.

One BIG potential downside though!
Has the machine spent the entire 7 years of it's life baking in the Arizona sun?

Would love to be there helping you to tractor shop, but we live thousands of miles apart.
I just love the chase!
Took me only 8 months to find mine, and I shopped ONLY on the internet, trying my best to avoid dealers.

Just found a magnificent used 295 hour M62 TLB for a friend.
He bought it (private party).
He has the funds, but I didn't think he would spring for $63,500.
He DID!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I love watching land planes work their magic. Unfortunately, the dirt roads out here are packed so hard that a box scraper often just skips across the top! (Slam a pick axe down and it makes a dent the size of a quarter!) Sure, fresh dirt added or gravel would change that, but for just trying to fill "pot holes" I think a scraper is unfortunately the only thing I have seen to work. Happy to learn more from you guys though!
A good land place has the same cutting blade as box blade.
And a good land plane will have scarfers like a box blade.
Yes AZ ground is as hard as concrete.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
First time tractor buyer. This is a GREAT resource and you guys are all so helpful... beyond even to the members you offer great info for those just reading the posts. I have read MANY MANY of your posts, so thank you!

I THINK I have narrowed down some choices and could now use your personal input please! First, I live on 2.5 acres in AZ- just north of the Phoenix area in the desert. We have a couple of donkeys and an arena to take care of. I have dirt roads to maintain (in and out of our property), gravel driveway, gravel to spread and general hair brain ideas and projects (fencing, moving large boulders, digging out "trees" and bushes, planting new trees and bushes, etc) to do when the mood strikes. This is HARD compacted desert dirt/clay, not sand or fluffy/healthy soil.

I def need a FEL and box scraper. I think this is all I need on my MUST HAVE list. The idea of a backhoe is appealing, and I'm sure I would use it more than I know, but I am not PLANNING to spend extra money on it. Forks sound like a great idea. Both of these would be on my NICE TO HAVE list. I might do odds and ends work for neighbors, too. Have decided on 4x4 and Hydro for sure.

I'm not getting hung up on the HP topic, and think ~25hp is probably sufficient. Although, I often overbuy just to future proof for what I dont know quite yet. My budget is ~$25k all in, and will probably just pay cash. I'm not afraid of used, but am leaning toward "gently used." I also acknowledge that I dont know much about these rigs, so will be taking a leap of faith on any condition of a used tractor.

On to my narrowed options (all HST and 4x4)...

2015 B2601- $21.k, 775 hours, has backhoe
2015 L3301- $24k, unk hours, FEL only
2014 L3200- $23k, 500 hours, FEL only
2024 L2502- $26k, New/0 hours, FEL + BB1266 scraper

Thanks for any help!
Good day.

If there is consideration for a BH, have you considered a B26? There are used ones out there in the price range you have listed, but I suspect maybe higher hours than what you have listed.

Only other thought / question is whether you plan to haul water or feed for the donkeys? If so lift capacity and machine weight will be your friend.

I think regardless of machine, if doing loader work you will need some sort of ballast either a box blade/land plane/back blade/etc. or ballast box…BH makes great ballast. (Don’t rule out the utility of pallet forks…I’d be looking for SSQA on a loader)

Happy shopping. 🥃

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
Good day.

If there is consideration for a BH, have you considered a B26? There are used ones out there in the price range you have listed, but I suspect maybe higher hours than what you have listed.

Only other thought / question is whether you plan to haul water or feed for the donkeys? If so lift capacity and machine weight will be your friend.

I think regardless of machine, if doing loader work you will need some sort of ballast either a box blade/land plane/back blade/etc. or ballast box…BH makes great ballast. (Don’t rule out the utility of pallet forks…I’d be looking for SSQA on a loader)

Happy shopping. 🥃
Yes, the B2601 is the first on that list and I am really enticed by that one because it has a backhoe. The listing for it has a pin on bucket, which is a real drawback to have the added expense of getting the adaptor. Its just a little smaller than the L's from what I can see and that lack of weight makes me wonder. I dont need to haul water for the critters, but do have to haul hay. I have heard about the need for ballast weight and will def take that into account. Thanks for your input!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Good day.

Happy shopping. 🥃
A B26 TLB even with 3,000 hours, would very likely be over the OP budget.
A great machine though!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes, the B2601 is the first on that list and I am really enticed by that one because it has a backhoe. The listing for it has a pin on bucket, which is a real drawback to have the added expense of getting the adaptor. Its just a little smaller than the L's from what I can see and that lack of weight makes me wonder. I dont need to haul water for the critters, but do have to haul hay. I have heard about the need for ballast weight and will def take that into account. Thanks for your input!
A BH bucket coupler is a wonderful thing (I have it)
I would not, however, let that missing feature negate a purchase.
It is possible that there is an aftermarket coupler available for that machine, but you would need to check on that..
I do not believe that Kubota has a coupler for any machine smaller than their B26 dedicated TLB.
A B2601 is NOT a dedicated TLB.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
A BH bucket coupler is a wonderful thing (I have it)
I would not, however, let that missing feature negate a purchase.
I believe that there may be an aftermarket coupler available for that machine.
I co not believe that Kubota has a coupler for any machine smaller than their B26.
There are not as much $$ as I would have thought…but there are some out there…they do have some hours on them…maybe not the born on date hoping for, but they can be found in that $$ range.

Attachments