Deciding between a B2301 TLB and BX25D

TalonX

Equipment
1957 Ford 641, 861 TLB, 2016 2650 TLB
Apr 6, 2016
WNY
I recently sold a good amount of my property so I am looking at downsizing my tractors. I currently have an ancient Ford 641 that I used for site work such as (dirt) plowing and grading and an 861 with a loader and backhoe that I used for everything else. I'm going from ~100 acres to 2 so obviously 2 big old tractors will get in the way. I'll be using the new tractor for light garden work and landscaping, firewood moving, as well as brush clearing and snowplowing. I'll still have around 500' of driveway to snowplow to my new barn but I won't be doing any large amount of farming or logging anymore. My old tractors run just fine but they're big and smokey. I'm really thinking that I'd like a nice modern HST equipped tractor so I don't have to fight with the clutch and struggle with the heavy cat 2 or 3 whatever it is implements.

Initially I thought either a Mahindra Max 25, JD 1025R or Kubota BX25R were the right tractor for me. After looking at the Mahindra it seemed a bit too much like my old tractors. Plus although it had a split brake which I really wanted it was also on the same side as the HST pedals which confused and annoyed me.
The 1025R is a decent tractor, it seems fairly ergonomic and it's a bit bigger and heavier than the BX25R so you could probably do heavier work with it. It seems to have smoother and faster hydraulics than the BX25R. I'm just not completely sure that I value the 1025R as much as the dealer does.

The BX25R seems like it is a really nice tractor. It looks like it will do everything I want. Eventually. It is much smaller than anything I've used before. It seems that a main selling point is the mid mount mower but I have a lawn mower so I won't be taking advantage of it. The frame mounted plow and all the implements are on the small side but watching people work with it on youtube it seems to get the job done. I'm looking at $20500 give or take after taxes.

When I expressed my concern over the size of the BX at the dealer he pointed me towards the B2301. It's more of a size I'm used to, it picks up more, it looks like it would have an easier time plowing and the backhoe is bigger. It has split brakes which I use on my old tractors every time I'm on them. However it costs more and is bigger. I won't really be "downsizing" if I move laterally to something just as big but with less power. I'm not sure I "need" the bigger tractor but then the dealer is telling me it has a sharper turn radius than the BX and of course with size comes capability. The loader lifts 500lbs more I believe and it has the separate hydraulic pump. The thing is I think everything I've mentioned as a benefit of the B2301 the 1025R has. They seem more comparable than to the BX. $26000 after taxes isn't that much more but it's more.

I guess I'm looking for someone to talk me into the BX25R instead of the 1025R or B2301. Besides "more" what can the B do that the BX can't? For basic homeowner maintenance, patio construction, foundation digging and the like besides time what benefit would I have with the B over the BX? I'm thinking the BX will tear up the yard less and will fit into tighter spaces but then heavier lifting is nice. However I'm wondering how many times I'll be using 1000lbs of lifting capacity. The BX will still move the gravel around just slower. On the other hand speed is nice. I'm in analysis paralysis.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Talon,

Welcome to the addiction!

I don't think either would be a bad option for you, but when I went through the same process I chose the BX25 as I have a hilly property and felt the lower CG would be the better choice. Also I will use it as the primary lawn mower and was told the BX had a better cut than the B. As you aren't looking to mow with it there are a couple of things that the B might be better for you with...3pt position control and the 3 range HST would be the big items to dig into. If you have a lot of hills then I would go with the BX as I did, outside of flat out lifting it just takes a little longer but you can maybe get into a little tighter space as it is narrower. I did look at the Mahindra and JD, the Mahindra just didn't feel at the same quality level (very subjective as they are good too) and the big thing on the JD was the loader only can do one thing at a time so if you lift and dump you are out of luck. Not sure if you have a Home Depot close or if they have a rental center there, if they do you can rent a BX25D from them. I did and did a side by side with the JD 1025R, the 25 won hands down.

One last thought if you are looking to do much in the woods and brush cutting I think going to a B2601 would be better as you get additional clearance and more PTO power.

Good luck and reach out with any questions.

Ron

Valley Viking

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, B6100E, G1900S
May 12, 2013
Menlo, WA
I bought a BX25D last summer. I am on 5 acres mowing about 1.5 for lawn and another 3 is hay field that my neighbor mows and bales for his horses. I debated back and forth between the two Kubota machines you are looking at. For me I was looking to get to one machine that would cover all the mowing and small projects I could dream up and fit in my limited garage space. So far I am happy with the BX25D. But if garage space or getting around you lawn are not issues for you then I would lean toward the B2301.

The following aren't complaints, just an honest accesment of the BX25D. The ground clearance is limited and an aftermarket belly shield is a must, there are vulnerable parts exposed underneath. The small diameter tires are kinda rough riding, larger tires (more air) would help the ride quality. The FEL lift capacity is marginal probably the biggest weak spot on the machine. The backhoe reach is pretty short and is hindered by only having 140 degrees of swing. You have to move a lot to clean out a ditch.

The good news is it mows nicely which the majority of my hours on the machine. It also fits nicely in my garage and sips diesel.

I got what I was looking for but if mowing in tight quarters is not a concern for you and you have the garage space you should consider the B2301.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
If you are going to do much work with 3 point implements, make sure you understand the differences between the BX and B2301. The BX will handle 3 point implements but the B has a better hitch with much better control. There are some members of OTT who moved down from larger more capable tractors who are particularly unhappy with the BX 3 point control.

TalonX

Equipment
Apr 6, 2016
WNY
The 3 point position control seems to be a pretty big issue. I will be doing some work with it but it won't be the primary use for the tractor. My old tractor's 3 point hitch had a wingnut and bolt that was used to stop the handle for the position control. Is there not something similar on the bx or if you move it to the same spot is it going to potentially be at a different height than last time?

The superior capacity for the FEL is another major selling point. I would imagine the bigger tractor will be much faster and smoother.

Is the 7' backhoe on the B still limited to 140º travel? I didn't even consider that. With only an 8 or 12" bucket it would take quite a while to dig anything.

One of the main concerns I have with the B is that it will be too much weight on my lawn. I understand it's only another 150lbs (plus my big butt) but it's a concern. I've driven my old tractors with ag tires on it once or twice and that didn't work out well at all leaving rather sizeable tracks. Whichever tractor I get I think I will opt for the turf tires. Plowing with turfs and snow chains will work just as well as no chains and industrials, correct?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The 3 point position control seems to be a pretty big issue. I will be doing some work with it but it won't be the primary use for the tractor. My old tractor's 3 point hitch had a wingnut and bolt that was used to stop the handle for the position control. Is there not something similar on the bx or if you move it to the same spot is it going to potentially be at a different height than last time?
The BX control lever always returns to the neutral center position when you release it. To raise the 3 point you raise the lever, when you release the lever it returns to neutral and the 3 point stops raising. To lower the 3 point you lower the lever, the three point stops going down when you release the lever or the implement is on the ground. If you hold the lever in an in-between position the 3 point just raises or lowers slower. You have to watch the implement to see what position it is in you can't just set the lever.

TalonX

Equipment
Apr 6, 2016
WNY
The BX control lever always returns to the neutral center position when you release it. To raise the 3 point you raise the lever, when you release the lever it returns to neutral and the 3 point stops raising. To lower the 3 point you lower the lever, the three point stops going down when you release the lever or the implement is on the ground. If you hold the lever in an in-between position the 3 point just raises or lowers slower. You have to watch the implement to see what position it is in you can't just set the lever.
Ah I see. That seems unnecessarily annoying... I was only on one that had the BH attached and it was raining so I didn't even have the opportunity to play with the hydraulics. I'm going to go back to the dealer tomorrow I think to look it over again. Assuming it's not raining again that is.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Talonx, you should have made your purchase before you sold. Then you would have had a tax deduction, or no taxes at all!

Just for comparison purposes, if you find a 4x4 in 30 HP range you will have a tractor that will turn easier and shorter radius, more power to the ground, more comfort, less fuel used then your 641. (641 is rated 32 PTO HP, but it weights 5K pounds.)

So if you don't need that much tractor go down in size to suit what you think you'll do with it.

A front wheel assist tractor, when compared to the two wheel drive tractor, will do the same work with 20-25% less horsepower. So the 30HP 4x4 will basically do what a 40HP two wheel drive does.

I know folks try to find a machine that does it all. They're out there, but when you have one you have to compromise on something. I would suggest you find a small tractor with a loader to do your drive way work and have around the barn for various task.

Then have a dedicated mower. You don't have to mess with a belly mower under your tractor, or getting it out of the way. Much more freedom.

TalonX

Equipment
Apr 6, 2016
WNY
So I think I've made a decision. I'm going to go down and buy the B2301. The size and extra lifting capacity swayed me.

Of course there's also the B2601 and B2650. Is that extra 3 horsepower on the B2601 worth it? What extra goodies are there on the B2650 that would make it worth the premium?

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I had the same argument with myself between the 2601 and the 2650. Ultimately I liked the slightly larger size of the 2650 over the 2601, it had a few more creature comforts and the capacities were slightly more. Plus at the end of the day it was only a $1050 dollar difference between the two per my dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TalonX

Equipment
Apr 6, 2016
WNY
Well, I ended up getting the B2650 with quick attach forks, grapple and bucket as well as a backhoe with 16" bucket and filled turf tires. $30500 before tax. It was juuuust slightly more than I wanted to spend ($20k) but I think I'll be much happier with this tractor than the BX. I better be at any rate! I compared the prices to the B2301 and B2601 and was only $2700 and $1700 more identically equipped so I figured why not go for it.

RyanS

Equipment
Kubota B2601, Massey 65, Sunstar 18.
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
Nice. I wanted to go all out like you just did. But I couldn't justify the backhoe for just the small amount of work I have for a backhoe. My new 2601 gets delivered tomorrow I am excited.
Congrats on your purchase. I am sure you will enjoy using it.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
Awesome. I wish I had the cash to spring for the BH, but that was a little out of the budget. Maybe I will get to add one down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TalonX

Equipment
Apr 6, 2016
WNY
It was not an easy decision as the salesman I dealt with I'm sure will attest. I really hate to open my wallet. I just felt that I should get the backhoe now rather than wait then possibly never get it. Same thing with the grapple. I have an old 57 with a backhoe on it so I could probably sell that for the amount that I paid for the fancy new backhoe with shiny paint so that's how I justified it.