D722 jetboat motor issue

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That sounds like it's running on not many cylinders. Like maybe one.

I've never seen a diesel jet boat. How does it go (when it's going well)?

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
Head gasket ????? maybe or worse
click the link below

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuel delivery issue?
Turbo issue?
Head gasket / cracked head?

How are you cooling it?

Does it run the same at an idle, or will it not idle?

If it will idle, crack one injector line at a time at the injector and see if one gives you zero change in idle.

Reactions: 1 user

Monstermash

Equipment
D722 jet boat
Mar 16, 2024
Maryland
Fuel delivery issue?
Turbo issue?
Head gasket / cracked head?

How are you cooling it?

Does it run the same at an idle, or will it not idle?

If it will idle, crack one injector line at a time at the injector and see if one gives you zero change in idle.
runs perfectly at idle, also when boat is out of water not under load it revs right up perfectly. Will crack injector lines to determine if one isn't fueling right

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
runs perfectly at idle, also when boat is out of water not under load it revs right up perfectly. Will crack injector lines to determine if one isn't fueling right
Ok more info helps:
Could be an injector issue.
This could be from injectors popping too early.
I personally would pull the pump and the injectors and have both tested and rebuilt if needed.
Check compression

Monstermash

Equipment
D722 jet boat
Mar 16, 2024
Maryland
Ok more info helps:
Could be an injector issue.
This could be from injectors popping too early.
I personally would pull the pump and the injectors and have both tested and rebuilt if needed.
Check compression
Brand new Kubota injectors, injection pump is Kubota and has 10 hours on it. As soon as motor is not under load; revs fine idles fine, no white smoke

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Brand new Kubota injectors, injection pump is Kubota and has 10 hours on it. As soon as motor is not under load; revs fine idles fine, no white smoke
Have you checked the timing?
Have you adjusted the fuel mixtures to compensate for the turbo?

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Was that an add on turbo on a relatively stock engine? How many pounds of boost are you running? Does the engine have excessive crankcase blow-by now?
I second doing a compression check.

Monstermash

Equipment
D722 jet boat
Mar 16, 2024
Maryland
Was that an add on turbo on a relatively stock engine? How many pounds of boost are you running? Does the engine have excessive crankcase blow-by now?
I second doing a compression check.
Turbo is add on, 15-20 psi, runs great when boosts up, almost zero blowby at idle or revving not under load

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, 'turbo was an add-on'....

wondering if there's some 'other stuff' you need to add when you upgraded the nonturbo engine ? maybe some 'adjustments' for the turbo install ?

Monstermash

Equipment
D722 jet boat
Mar 16, 2024
Maryland
curious, 'turbo was an add-on'....

wondering if there's some 'other stuff' you need to add when you upgraded the nonturbo engine ? maybe some 'adjustments' for the turbo install ?
Yeh this motor has been running amazing with the turbo. It just started this intermittent isssue that I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Turbo is add on, 15-20 psi, runs great when boosts up, almost zero blowby at idle or revving not under load
The reason I asked about the turbo added to a non turbo engine is that there are a lot of INTERNAL differences between a factory turbo engine and a factory non turbo engine.
One: the compression ratio is usually less on a turbo engine than a non turbo engine. Instead of 22 to 1 like the non turbo Kubota has to about 16-17 to 1 compression ratio.
Two: A turbo engine usually has oil squirters that are aimed at the crankcase side of the piston crown to quench the added heat out of the piston crown.
Three: The pistons are generally beefier to handle the extra load and some use steel piston ring lands cast into the piston.
Four: When a turbo is added to a non turbo engine, the maximum SAFE boost is around 5-7 psi MAX.
Why I asked about blow-by is to see if you didn't burn a piston or in the worst case, burn a hole through the crown of the piston. That's why turbo engines have piston quenchers AND a larger capacity OIL pump to give plenty of flow to the quenchers as well as lubricating the bottom end.
Five: A turbo engine with mechanical injection generally had a boost activated aneroid can on the injection pump that controlled the enrichment of fuel depending on boost pressure. If you look at an old, 5-cylinder Mercedes turbo engine, they had a diaphragm on the injection pump that hooked up to the intake manifold and sensed boost pressure. We used to break the seal on the aneroid and turn the fuel up a little bit. It really woke up the 5-cylinder Mercedes engine. Cummins also used the same principal to add fuel under boost on the 5.9-liter engines that were used in Dodge pickups. Both used Bosch injection pumps. I would turn up the fuel on the 5.9 Cummins too.

Looks like a neat set-up. Could you post some pictures of the whole watercraft?

Last edited:

Monstermash

Equipment
D722 jet boat
Mar 16, 2024
Maryland
The reason I asked about the turbo added to a non turbo engine is that there are a lot of INTERNAL differences between a factory turbo engine and a factory non turbo engine.
One: the compression ratio is usually less on a turbo engine than a non turbo engine. Instead of 22 to 1 like the non turbo Kubota has to about 16-17 to 1 compression ratio.
Two: A turbo engine usually has oil squirters that are aimed at the crankcase side of the piston crown to quench the added heat out of the piston crown.
Three: The pistons are generally beefier to handle the extra load and some use steel piston ring lands cast into the piston.
Four: When a turbo is added to a non turbo engine, the maximum SAFE boost is around 5-7 psi MAX.
Why I asked about blow-by is to see if you didn't burn a piston or in the worst case, burn a hole through the crown of the piston. That's why turbo engines have piston quenchers AND a larger capacity OIL pump to give plenty of flow to the quenchers as well as lubricating the bottom end.
Five: A turbo engine with mechanical injection generally had a boost activated aneroid can on the injection pump that controlled the enrichment of fuel depending on boost pressure. If you look at an old, 5-cylinder Mercedes turbo engine, they had a diaphragm on the injection pump that hooked up to the intake manifold and sensed boost pressure. We used to break the seal on the aneroid and turn the fuel up a little bit. It really woke up the 5-cylinder Mercedes engine. Cummins also used the same principal to add fuel under boost on the 5.9-liter engines that were used in Dodge pickups. Both used Bosch injection pumps. I would turn up the fuel on the 5.9 Cummins too.

Looks like a neat set-up. Could you post some pictures of the whole watercraft?
Ok update on this problem:

1. Turned fuel up to make sure motor wasn't starving

2 did valve adjustment. Valves were not too bad. #1 valve was very loose. Put it in spec.

3. Took apart injection pump to verify there wasn't a broken plunger spring or something else getting hung up. Everything looked good. Motor only has 10-20 hours in it.

Put boat in water. Boat wouldn't boost up, start choking, white puffs of smoke, major motor knocking and running extremely rough.

I started cracking injector lines and trying to figure out if one cylinder isn't getting enough fuel or too much.

At one point I cracked a injector line and motor started running perfectly, boosted right up, no smoke at all. Ran amazing at 10-17 psi of boost. Ran it like this for about 30-40 minutes. Keeping an eye on EGT's. At one point stopped to fill water meth and when trying to get boat going again, fell on its face, started knocking same issue and gave up for the day. This has to be an injection pump issue or injector or something in the fuel system.

Any ideas? Brand new Bosch injectors low hour injection pump. I'm stumped

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok update on this problem:

1. Turned fuel up to make sure motor wasn't starving

2 did valve adjustment. Valves were not too bad. #1 valve was very loose. Put it in spec.

3. Took apart injection pump to verify there wasn't a broken plunger spring or something else getting hung up. Everything looked good. Motor only has 10-20 hours in it.

Put boat in water. Boat wouldn't boost up, start choking, white puffs of smoke, major motor knocking and running extremely rough.

I started cracking injector lines and trying to figure out if one cylinder isn't getting enough fuel or too much.

At one point I cracked a injector line and motor started running perfectly, boosted right up, no smoke at all. Ran amazing at 10-17 psi of boost. Ran it like this for about 30-40 minutes. Keeping an eye on EGT's. At one point stopped to fill water meth and when trying to get boat going again, fell on its face, started knocking same issue and gave up for the day. This has to be an injection pump issue or injector or something in the fuel system.

Any ideas? Brand new Bosch injectors low hour injection pump. I'm stumped
You have a bad injector.
Find a local fuel injection shop and have them tested.
You do have the overflows hooked up and free flowing back to the tank right?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You'll never guess what I found..
Sheared plunger barrel guide pin. Effectively allowing plunger barrel to spin shutting down one cylinder. Man that took a while to figure out.
That was going to be my next choice.
Gotta love new parts being bad! :mad: 🤬
Glad you found it.

• Love