coughing blood? injector issue?

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
Hi All,

I have an old B6000. She has been a great tractor but she seems very sick. It has been hard to start for quite a while. Lots of blue smoke, only firing on one cylinder after long preheat (even in summer). I went out to start the other day and she coughed up a lot of liquid from the exhaust. Liguid is dark color, probably diesel and maybe oil. I shut her down right away.

Any thoughts on where to start to diagnose? If she will run, is it safe to keep her going? I'd hate to cause more damage than may already be there.

I'm thinking it might be an injector issue but that is beyond my knowledge base.

Any comments welcome
Thanks, Todd

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Injector issue, pull the injectors and take them to an injection testing / repair shop.

Don't run it until you get it fixed, it can do some serious damage!

The injectors on the B6000 are not cheap, so base rebuild price on this:
P/N 15231-53000 $124.42

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
Thanks Wolfman. I have tried to remove the injectors before, but was not able to get them to budge. I removed the fuel lines and bolts that hold the brackets over the injectors. The injectors would not move. I tried light tapping with a hammer but no good. I gave up for fear of damaging something. Is there a special procedure to remove the injectors? If I can get them out I will replace with new. Do I just bolt the new ones in, or are there additional steps that need to be taken.

Thanks,
Todd

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes pull the lines and the bolts, and the bracket is the injector, just pry strait up and they will come out, they are just stuck in there!
When they come out make sure you remove the old gasket that might be in the hole.

You will need a pair of these gaskets for the new install.
P/N 17011-53620 $1.29

Last edited:

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
Re: coughing blood? injector issue? UPDATE

Hi All,

I tried everything I could think of to get the injectors out. Slide hammer, heat, pounding and prying, etc. Finally decided to pull the head and take it to the dealer thinking they might know a trick. Good news was they got the injectors out. Bad news was the head was cracked!

It took some time, but I found a used head. Installed head, new glow plugs and new injectors and the old girl is running again!

One interesting note. When I drained the oil, the first quart out was antifreeze, followed by thick black sludge. I was surprised that there was know sign of the "milkshake" you see when water mixes with the oil (telltale sign of a blown head gasket). You learn something new everyday!

Todd

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have done many oil changes on motor vehicles- in the thousands. Its no shock that coolant was present in pan and not milkshake like. Theres lots of variables in the serpage of coolant into pan, one being during process of disassembly.can settle out given enough time. Glad you got it sorted out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
todddrummey, nothing like the satisfaction of getting a sick mechanical problem fixed. The correct information coupled with patience (and money!) will get the results. Enjoy!