Cost of off-road diesel

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You’ve given your own answer….and you pay the penalty by operating a diesel which is also dirtier than gasoline, another reason for the higher tax.

The posts noting that Off Road diesel is almost the same price as regular Diesel are comparing apples to oranges…UNLESS it is the SAME DEALER…in which they can be prosecuted for fraud. Call your state atty general office of consumer affairs and report them.

The gripe I have is when fuel dealers claim their price increases reflect their wholesale supplier price increases…. but then when the regular diesel wholesale delivery occurs and they still have existing stocks of older off-road diesel (i.e., they did not take delivery of any fresh off-road)…. BOTH jump to the higher prices. THAT is GOUGING! I hinted to our local purveyor that a complaint to consumer affairs could be warranted… and guess what? when I rec’d the invoice the price was still $3.29/gal. (pre-Putin-Penalty price).
It pays to ask them gently-challenging direct-questions.

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Had a conversation over on the truck forum about this subject. One guy recommended hitting a truck stop or a station with truck islands. When you fill, select Refer Only and it will be no tax. I've had the pumps ask but since I only fill up my Super Duty and don't have a refrigerated camper, I say no.
Granted, the fuel may cost more at a truck stop to begin with but I'm going to give it a lookie

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Just curious what is the price of off-road diesel in your area. I paid 5.89/gallon, 10 cents less than highway diesel. I always thought off-road was significantly cheaper but it seems I was wrong. I’m in Idaho
Its simple. Take the on road price and remove the on road tax from it...that should be the off road diesel price.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
That's true, but FS off road has no bio diesel and they mix cetane and a number of additives to you would normally pay xtra for. It is not what you're buying at a gas station. Not trying to be a FS fanboy, but it seems to help.
Not so where I buy from. They use exactly the same additives, both on and off road holding tanks are filled from the same 18 wheeler. They just add the die after.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Had a conversation over on the truck forum about this subject. One guy recommended hitting a truck stop or a station with truck islands. When you fill, select Refer Only and it will be no tax. I've had the pumps ask but since I only fill up my Super Duty and don't have a refrigerated camper, I say no.
Granted, the fuel may cost more at a truck stop to begin with but I'm going to give it a lookie
Are you sure that is off road diesel? I would be amazed if they sold it with no dye.

tanuki

Equipment
MX5400 hst
Jan 11, 2021
cobden,il
Not so where I buy from. They use exactly the same additives, both on and off road holding tanks are filled from the same 18 wheeler. They just add the die after.
I realize where the confusion is. FS is not a type of diesel it's the diesel supplier. I'm in the midwest and just assumed people were familiar with FS suppliers, they are an Ag supplier. The product is Dieselx Gold.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Are you sure that is off road diesel? I would be amazed if they sold it with no dye.
I have not seen it with my own eyes yet but it makes sense. The refer trucks trailer is not a vehicle and the fuel is for the refrigeration system generator. They could inject the dye or even use a solenoid to swap tanks from which they draw.
Again, I'm not saying it's truth. I am very curious now and will have to check it out un the near term. It's only about 15 minutes to the nearest one for me.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yeah… do that. Forget the fact that you’ll be on-camera and you’ll be charging it on your personally-identifiable charge-card. My prosecutor-daughter loves cheater-cases as easy as that.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have not seen it with my own eyes yet but it makes sense. The refer trucks trailer is not a vehicle and the fuel is for the refrigeration system generator. They could inject the dye or even use a solenoid to swap tanks from which they draw.
Again, I'm not saying it's truth. I am very curious now and will have to check it out un the near term. It's only about 15 minutes to the nearest one for me.
Yeah… do that. Forget the fact that you’ll be on-camera and you’ll be charging it on your personally-identifiable charge-card. My prosecutor-daughter loves cheater-cases as easy as that.
Maybe you aren't grasping what I said, but care to explain what it is that would make this an easy case for your daughter?

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I realize where the confusion is. FS is not a type of diesel it's the diesel supplier. I'm in the midwest and just assumed people were familiar with FS suppliers, they are an Ag supplier. The product is Dieselx Gold.

Is you r FS one where you bring a transfer tank to fill, or delivery only? I have a 50 gallon and when I call all I get is voice mail with never a call back.

tanuki

Equipment
MX5400 hst
Jan 11, 2021
cobden,il
Is you r FS one where you bring a transfer tank to fill, or delivery only? I have a 50 gallon and when I call all I get is voice mail with never a call back.
I use a transfer tank. They've always been good about accommodating me and I don't call ahead or anything, I just show up.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I use a transfer tank. They've always been good about accommodating me and I don't call ahead or anything, I just show up.
I just want to know where and how much, but they never call me back.

tanuki

Equipment
MX5400 hst
Jan 11, 2021
cobden,il
I just want to know where and how much, but they never call me back.
You should be able to find the nearest dealer on their website. I've found the price to be the same or a touch cheaper than the gas stations regular diesel. You're not saving money but I feel you are getting a better product. The tractor seems to run better and my regens have become less frequent.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
Off road is about thirty cents a gallon less here, but when you're buying only ten gallons at a time (which is what I do) and the stuff is well over five bucks a gallon (closer to six, actually) it hardly makes it worthwhile to drive any distance at all for the off road stuff unless you drive a Prius or similar (which I don't).

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Maybe you aren't grasping what I said, but care to explain what it is that would make this an easy case for your daughter?
Maybe you’re correct…perhaps your previous post doesn’t convey your true meaning.
I read that post to explain how you believe UN-dyed, off-road diesel is available at certain truck stops for the purpose of using that diesel in reefer units which are not actually vehicles…. and that you are considering selecting that undyed fuel for use in your on-road vehicle in order to avoid paying the road taxes ….and believing that such undyed diesel would not ”out” you in the event your fuel system is checked by law-enforcement.

I do not know if such undyed/off-road diesel fuel systems exist at truck stops which are intended to be “selective” for reefers, etc. I doubt it. Off road diesel which is not taxed is required by all states to be dyed, is my understanding, and dyed diesel has a dye which is very persistent…. if dyed diesel is introduced to a tank which is intended for taxed (undyed) fuel…the entire contents will become dyed and will retain that red color for quite some time…thru several re-fuelings.

I only hoped to remind you that if truck stops have such systems and you plan to take advantage of using that un-taxed fuel in an on-road vehicle…that most truck stops and refueling stations these days have security cameras which record all refueling activities and that any illegal activity will be easily recorded by video. Plus, use of a self-serve pump usually involves use of a credit/debit card identified with the purchaser. Video evidence of purported/alleged illegal activity is quite convincing in court. (but if you think saving 30-cents/gal is worth the legendary $10K fines if caught, go for it and let us know how that works out for you.)

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Maybe you’re correct…perhaps your previous post doesn’t convey your true meaning.
I read that post to explain how you believe UN-dyed, off-road diesel is available at certain truck stops for the purpose of using that diesel in reefer units which are not actually vehicles…. and that you are considering selecting that undyed fuel for use in your on-road vehicle in order to avoid paying the road taxes ….and believing that such undyed diesel would not ”out” you in the event your fuel system is checked by law-enforcement.

I do not know if such undyed/off-road diesel fuel systems exist at truck stops which are intended to be “selective” for reefers, etc. I doubt it. Off road diesel which is not taxed is required by all states to be dyed, is my understanding, and dyed diesel has a dye which is very persistent…. if dyed diesel is introduced to a tank which is intended for taxed (undyed) fuel…the entire contents will become dyed and will retain that red color for quite some time…thru several re-fuelings.

I only hoped to remind you that if truck stops have such systems and you plan to take advantage of using that un-taxed fuel in an on-road vehicle…that most truck stops and refueling stations these days have security cameras which record all refueling activities and that any illegal activity will be easily recorded by video. Plus, use of a self-serve pump usually involves use of a credit/debit card identified with the purchaser. Video evidence of purported/alleged illegal activity is quite convincing in court. (but if you think saving 30-cents/gal is worth the legendary $10K fines if caught, go for it and let us know how that works out for you.)
I guess there is some misunderstanding. The subject of this thread is for off road fuel. My post was about how to get it (as I have been told) at truck stops. In post 22, I said that I select NO for refer fueling because I'm filling my truck. The implication is that when filling my fuel cell for the tractor and generator I would select YES for refer and (hopefully) be filling with untaxed and dyed fuel.
I'm aware of the implications of running untaxed fuel in road vehicles. Truth be told, I shouldn't have ever poured marina gasoline left over from a weekend on the water into my car either. Admittedly, I have. But with red fuel, it will definitely not happen. From a youthful experience, I know that my fuel filters will be pink even after hundreds of gallons of clear flow through them.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
There are very few truck stops that actually carry reefer fuel, and those that do, have it at a separate pump. I have seen pumps that ask if it is for truck or reefer, in which case it is more than likely the road diesel with the taxes removed, and I believe you need to show proof of it going into the reefer and not the saddle tanks. There are a few that have a separate Off Road pump next to the taxed pumps, and it is plastered with Off Road only all over it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I guess it depends on where you are. Every truck stop I have been to on the east coast (along I-95 from NJ to Miami FL) has asked me tractor, refer or both. Same island. Same pump. The only separate nozzle is for DEF of course.
I looked up the VA code and there is nothing about where or how you get red fuel. Only how and where it can be used.
Guess I'll meander to the Shell truck stop tomorrow.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well..... I didn't go to prison. Lol. Ironically there was a VASP in the parking lot when I went by.
So I topped up the truck and got 5 gallons of refer fuel. Both the same price and no dye. I went in and asked about it. The clerk told me that they just itemize the two fills on the receipt. It's the driver's responsibility to turn in form XYZ with
the receipt and get refunded the tax.
So now I'm back to filling out the form like the old days. Bonus is that there are separate line items for gas and diesel on the VA form. Looks like I'll be sending it in for the tractor and lawn/ motorcycle/ dirt bikes too.
20220724_170644.jpg

Reactions: 1 users