Correct implement for leveling an old fence line mound

jmatz

Equipment
B2650 Cab, LA534 FEL, B2782 snowblower, Landpride GS1572 grader
Feb 14, 2015
Traverse City, Mi
I've made most of my final decisions for implements to go with a B2650 HSDC.
The one I'm struggling with is the Grading Scraper vs. Box Blade. Really glad the dealer pointed me towards the scraper for maintaining 1000' of gravel road and driveway - makes a lot of sense after watching a few videos of the land pride GS1572 in action.

But I do have a one-time task of leveling some old fence line mounds that are on approx 3 acres of otherwise level field. The mounds are maybe 200 yds long, 3 ft wide and 18 inches tall. Mostly field grasses in sandy loam, not many rocks. And I'll have to remove a few old knocked-down fence posts and barbed wire before approaching it with the tractor.

So the question is, can I get away with using the grader and front end loader to level these mounds? If so, I don't see any real need for a box blade instead of the grader. Maybe once per year for the first three years of owning the home, I'll need to have some gravel dumped and then spread it over the road, but it sounds like that can be done with the scraper. Does that make sense?

Thanks for any input.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
It sounds like you can do it all with the loader and grading scraper. And for the 1000' driveway, the scraper is the way to go! Enjoy that tractor - its a nice one.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Watch out for the old fence mound! If really old and there's ANY chance that steel posts were EVER used there make sure you straddle the line where the fence existed till you're sure it's clear. Old rusted off steel posts have a rubber magnet in them that will attract your expensive tractor tires and cause punctures... big ones! :(
There's no worse feeling than tooling along and then seeing a 16 inch long leftover from a steel fence post go slinging by the fender stuck into a 600 dollar tire.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
That's probably all good topsoil.

Thus, the rear blade can gradually spread this somewhat back to where it came from.

I'd not use a roto-tiller, since you may not have all that barbed wire out of there and getting that all wound up on the differ can be a bear.

Gunsmoke1

Equipment
b1700hsd
Apr 4, 2015
oklahoma city
I use a rake behind my tractor to smooth dirt as well as spread and maintain gravel driveways.. I have a boxblade as well but the rake makes the driveway look much nicer. Take a look at some videos of someone using a rake for this purpose.. Also I use it to clean up fallen branches etc.. The one I have I can angle like a balde but also can set it of an offset position to reach out on right or left side of tractor to get under low trees or whatnot. Got it from everything attachments. http://www.everythingattachments.com/Everything-Attachments-Landscape-Rake-Root-Rake-p/etalr-iii.htm

These are heavier than the ones I found at tractor supply.. Etc.. And has the additional offset setting.. Better springs.. And no I don't work for them . No association..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk