Cold Roll Industrial Bucket(s) Review

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I just received 2 buckets I ordered from CRI. A stump bucket and a rock bucket. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, just unload.
They look great at first glance.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They look so purdy that it will be a shame to scratch the paint on them. What are the weights of each piece? I thought about getting a rock bucket but I thought that by the time I got some rocks in the bucket, the tractor wouldn't have the strength to lift the bucket high enough to dump them.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They look so purdy that it will be a shame to scratch the paint on them. What are the weights of each piece? I thought about getting a rock bucket but I thought that by the time I got some rocks in the bucket, the tractor wouldn't have the strength to lift the bucket high enough to dump them.
Bigger tractor NEEDED!!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Bigger tractor NEEDED!!
I agree with you, however, Soopitup has a BX23S tractor just like I have. I did check the manufacturer's website, and there are 2 versions of the rock bucket, a 20" and a 28". I don't remember if there is much difference between the 2 in the weights.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Very pretty! Part of me had a hard time dropping them on the pavement and stacking them together. I had to remind myself what they're for.

Rock bucket should be less than 200lbs for the series 1/2 54 inch (series 1/2 60 is listed at 195 lbs). Stump bucket is 145 I believe?

I got the rock bucket partially for rocks and partially to tear up roots. I thought it might do a better job than my regular bucket with teeth.
The thing with sifting rocks is I don't think you'll end up with a bucket full of rock. It's meant to sift, so you tear into the dirt/rock, shake the dirt out, and are left with what is too large to fall between the tines. I don't expect many full buckets, if any. And being able to rip roots and shake the dirt off is fantastic. They actually have a video of them doing this, that's what sold me on this particular one, I originally was going to go with a 2 inch rock bucket from a different manufacturer. The ability to remove the sides and tear into whatever sold me.

Bigger tractor NEEDED!!
Good point. I'll probably just sell everything and get a full size excavator to store in the garage. That way I can get it done faster.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What ga. steel is that stump bucket….?? I’m thinking of having one made….

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
They both look pretty cool, that's for sure. (y)

Be sure to post a review with pics.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I wonder what grade of steel they use. Typically 1018 cold rolled steel is about the weakest available, but that can vary. I sure wouldn't name my company after a steel that people in the machine trades equate to cheap steel.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Got mine 2 years ago

stump_bucket 20220407_142710_resized.jpg

last year - more than for stumps :) used it to plant 10 Arbovitaes
20230914_113222.jpg

tough bugger - no matter the company's name

Reactions: 1 user

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
All the info is in the links. Type of metal, weight, ect.

I got a chance to try them out tonight, especially the rock bucket. I turned a large manure pile and tore up some blackberry bushes.

The rock bucket is obviously no good for straight excavating, but for turning piles it's significantly better than the regular bucket. Because it has less front cutting area (tines instead of a thick straight edge) it digs in better. It also tears the ground up less (less propensity to dig in) on float, despite the bottom being tines instead of flat.

The loader was able to lift a full load of wet manure/dirt. I'm not sure if this has more cubic feet than the regular bucket or not. It's 6 inches wider but I don't think it's quite as deep? Definitely great for mixing.

It did a great job tearing up the blackberry bushes, once again digging in better than the regular bucket with teeth.

I didn't try any rocky stuff tonight, but I did get a chance to try and separate the roots from the dirt. I felt like it was less stress on the machine rocking the bucket back and forth with the curl function vs raising the bucket and dropping it.

Being wider than the BX (54 vs 48? inches) means I had to pay a little more attention to tight spaces. At least it was in front where I could see.

Got mine 2 years ago

last year - more than for stumps :) used it to plant 10 Arbovitaes

tough bugger - no matter the company's name

Awesome!
I got it for the same reason. Bigger than a shovel full, smaller than the front bucket.
Definitely different than digging with the front bucket for sure. It's going to take a little getting used to.
I'm not 100% sure I don't wish I had gotten the shorter bucket instead of the full length one. We'll see how well the tractor can lift with the whole thing buried.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Using the rock bucket for clearing. Ripped out some more bushes/small tree roots.
Also helped cleared out a mat of flower roots that were taking over. I did another section by hand last year. So much quicker with this.

Most of the rocks I've had so far just fall through the tines (3 inches), but for clearing/ripping out roots this is fantastic. Definitely better than the regular bucket with the Piranha tooth bar.
If I could go back I wouldn't have gotten the tooth bar and just put that money towards this.
The sides also come off and you can use it almost as a set of pallet forks for longer chunks of wood/roots.

Attachments

Last edited:

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I wasn't sure if I made the right decision getting the longer stump bucket, considering the power the BX has.
Now that I've used it, definitely glad I got the longer one. This is incredibly handy. Takes a bigger shovelful than the backhoe can, no sliding all over when I dig, much quicker to move around and access from different directions.

That stump is too large for the loader to just rip out (18 inches), I may have to use the backhoe to get in the rear, I can't access with the tractor yet. But the stump bucket was great tearing into the front of it.

Attachments

Last edited: