coastal multitrac tractor fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I use vegetable oil in mine cuz it’s the same color. That should be ok right?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't think you're understanding what I said, and it's not opinion based it's fact based:
Even their PDS sheet does not say it's compatible, it says it may be used, that's a big difference.

I guess it's really a mote point as it sounds like your mind's made up no matter what anyone says.

And just for clarity I've worked on may a kubota that has had " compatible fluid" in it only to have it cause some major damage or severely affect operation of the tractor.

Costal Fluid 2.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Sam L Series

Equipment
Kubota L3301, Forks, Loader, Tiller
May 3, 2020
Florida
I don't think you're understanding what I said, and it's not opinion based it's fact based:
Even their PDS sheet does not say it's compatible, it says it may be used, that's a big difference.

I guess it's really a mote point as it sounds like your mind's made up no matter what anyone says.

And just for clarity I've worked on may a kubota that has had " compatible fluid" in it only to have it cause some major damage or severely affect operation of the tractor.
Sounds like you don't have an open mind and your opion is just that... you don't know... Have you seen an independent lab comparison?

What makes you think Coastal is cheep quality, and that no other company can make a quality hydrophilic oil?

Warren Oil Company
makes oil for most other oils brands like STP etc...

Just saying Kubota is not the only quality brand out there in case you don't know. I printed there pdf which stated ubota UDT and Super UDT.

In Kubotas own manual it stated use UDT or Super UDTII

it is over an hour drive to a Kubota dealership, and other quality brands are sold locally. like Coastal by Warren Oil Company. Warren Oil Company also make the exact same multitrac tractor fluid being sold by STP.

despite your opinion, I will post my finding and let you know if my loader lifts better and if my whining is quieter or not...

I would think some would say, let us know maybe the company does make it is a quality hydrophilic oil.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
  • Wow

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You stated that they claim their oil is equivalent to Kubota UDT and Super UDTII. Where do you see that it is equivalent? What are the facts that prove their oil is equivalent???
All their jug has is a list of manufacturers oils and I doubt that a small oil bottler has oil that meets all the manufacturer's specs.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
According to Kubota, no one has a hydraulic oil that meets Super UDT II.
I see nowhere in Costals write up does it say that its oil is equivalent to any other hydraulic fluid. Costal is just implying that you can use their oil in place of the others.

Why would you skimp on oil or filters????
You stated that they claim their oil is equivalent to Kubota UDT and Super UDTII. Where do you see that it is equivalent? What are the facts that prove their oil is equivalent???
All their jug has is a list of manufacturers oils and I doubt that a small oil bottler has oil that meets all the manufacturer's specs.
Do you know what UDT means...
it is a ulti-purpose all-weather hydraulic fluid.

I wish it wast for HOt Weather like in FLorida 90s 100s... as a one fits all fluid, you get the good with the bad...

A thicker grade for hot climates for better protection and better performance. I seen loader lift decrease on hot days with the oil that came in my L3301...

as far as what Warren Oil Company's oil does, it seems to do all of the same as Kubota.
It does all of the same:

YES: Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid
YES: Improved transmission performance and protection at high and low operating temperatures
YES: friction characteristics on wet clutches enables smoother start off, drive control, and PTO connection
YES: Fully interchangeable with standard UDT and Super UDT fluids
YES: Superior corrosion resistance and efficient filterability protects transmission and hydraulic systems
YES: Improved transmission efficiency through reduction in power loss

Kubota does:
Kubota Super UDT2 Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid Information
Kubota Super UDT2 is a multi-purpose all-weather hydraulic fluid.This product is specifically recommended for use in the Kubota hydraulic, final drive, transmission, differential, and wet brake systems.
  • Kubota® Super UDT2 provides the following benefits to Kubota equipment:
  • Kubota Super UDT2 Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid
  • Improved transmission performance and protection at high and low operating temperatures
  • Unique friction characteristics on wet clutches enables smoother start off, drive control, and PTO connection
  • Fully interchangeable with standard UDT and Super UDT fluids
  • Superior corrosion resistance and efficient filterability protects transmission and hydraulic systems
  • Improved transmission efficiency through reduction in power loss
  • Meets Kubota’s stringent specifications

Just saying, seems to be a good oil.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
While costal is claiming ( and the tech support line, owned by them, backed up) that their fluid meets the same standards as Kubota UDT2 it's simply not true!
It's not even close.
It's your tractor, but don't be surprised if you have issues down the line.

Kubota Super UDT2 Synthetic Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid (1 Gallon)
  • Gravity, degree API: 34.5.
  • Viscosity @ -40 C, cP: 16000.
  • Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt: 8.1.
  • Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt: 37.
  • Viscosity Index: 199.
  • Pour Point, C max: -42.
  • Zinc, % wt.: 0.1122.
View attachment 46576
I’m not sure how I could look at these physical properties and still come away thinking these are the same thing. (well unless I had already bought a truckload and was trying to feel better about it :oops:)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Sam is your tractor still under warranty? My dealer wrote in my owners manual that the warranty was void if I used hydraulic fluid other then the Kubota brand. So if warranty is out of the question then run what ever you wish. A word of caution, do not mix the brands. Other then that, run what ever you want. Let us know how it turns out over time.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
I’m not sure how I could look at these physical properties and still come away thinking these are the same thing. (well unless I had already bought a truckload and was trying to feel better about it :oops:)
the company has been great in getting back to me with the information that I have requested.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
Sam is your tractor still under warranty? My dealer wrote in my owners manual that the warranty was void if I used hydraulic fluid other then the Kubota brand. So if warranty is out of the question then run what ever you wish. A word of caution, do not mix the brands. Other then that, run what ever you want. Let us know how it turns out over time.

What This Warranty Does NOT Cover
This Warranty Does NOT Cover Failures Caused By:•Abusive operation •Natural calamities•Unauthorized modifications•Improper repairs•Use of non-Genuine Kubota parts•Neglected maintenance/incorrect operation (specified in Operator’s Manual)•Unapproved attachments•Usage which is contrary to the intended purpose *This Warranty does NOT cover replacement of Wear or Maintenance items (unless defective) including, but not limited to:•Clutch and brake linings•Filters (air, fuel, oil)•Light bulbs•Window glass•Lubricants, coolants, and fluids (unless used during an authorized repair)•Belts•Cutting blades and tines•Bucket teeth•Injector nozzles•Spark plugs•Tires and tracksThis Warranty does NOT cover:•Pickup or delivery of the equipment*•Rental of replacement equipment during the repair period•Products which have been declared a total loss and subsequently salvaged•Overtime labor charges•Travel time or mileage (customer responsibility)*•Service calls (customer responsibility)•Transportation of equipment to dealer from customer’s home or other location (customer responsibility)*•Repairs performed by Non U.S. Kubota Dealers

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you don't have an open mind and your opion is just that... you don't know... Have you seen an independent lab comparison?

What makes you think Coastal is cheep quality, and that no other company can make a quality hydrophilic oil?

Warren Oil Company
makes oil for most other oils brands like STP etc...

Just saying Kubota is not the only quality brand out there in case you don't know. I printed there pdf which stated ubota UDT and Super UDT.

In Kubotas own manual it stated use UDT or Super UDTII

it is over an hour drive to a Kubota dealership, and other quality brands are sold locally. like Coastal by Warren Oil Company. Warren Oil Company also make the exact same multitrac tractor fluid being sold by STP.

despite your opinion, I will post my finding and let you know if my loader lifts better and if my whining is quieter or not...

I would think some would say, let us know maybe the company does make it is a quality hydrophilic oil.

Thanks for the response.
I have a very open mind, and I'm not using a bit of opinion I'm using engineering specs as the facts.
I can read and understand a PDS that point out it's not the same.

You're being extremely argumentative, rude, and yelling at people (yes multiple people, that have answered your posts) that have worked on thousands of Kubota's for years and I really don't understand why. :unsure:

I never said that coastal was bad, or cheap or anything of the sort.o_O

I'm just pointing out the FACT that even Costal does not say it compatible... and that the physical characteristics of the fluid are different even by coastal's admission, they never say compatible they just say you may use it.

If your having loader performance issues on Kubota stock fluid, it's more than likely not the fluid that's the issue, there is some other issue affecting its performance, like a pressure relief valve, and clogged filter, a failing loader cylinder seal.

FYI: I don't even use Kubota UDT or Super UDT2 in my tractors, why, because I have a much easier to acquire alternative, that yes does have the same specs as UDT, it's got specs closer to SUDT2 but is not a full synthetic.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a very open mind, and I'm not using a bit of opinion I'm using engineering specs as the facts.
I can read and understand a PDS that point out it's not the same.

You're being extremely argumentative, rude, and yelling at people (yes multiple people, that have answered your posts) that have worked on thousands of Kubota's for years and I really don't understand why. :unsure:

I never said that coastal was bad, or cheap or anything of the sort.o_O

I'm just pointing out the FACT that even Costal does not say it compatible... and that the physical characteristics of the fluid are different even by coastal's admission, they never say compatible they just say you may use it.

If your having loader performance issues on Kubota stock fluid, it's more than likely not the fluid that's the issue, there is some other issue affecting its performance, like a pressure relief valve, and clogged filter, a failing loader cylinder seal.

FYI: I don't even use Kubota UDT or Super UDT2 in my tractors, why, because I have a much easier to acquire alternative, that yes does have the same specs as UDT, it's got specs closer to SUDT2 but is not a full synthetic.

Don't you just love oil threads Wolfman?

Bottom line is all this is simply, I want to be cheap and buy a fluid that will work for less and I want people to placate my choice...

I don't use Kubota fluids either but I don't own a hydrostat. If I did, I would.

OP got the same answers on the 'other forum' as well. Me, I don't much care if he pours beer in the case, he's the one who will ultimately have to pay for the repairs (and will probably crab about that too)...

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Sam, I’m not going to try to give you advice. You obviously don't want it.

Jay, AKA "Creature Meadow" figures he's in $38/year for SUDT2 on a much larger machine. I know he uses his quite a lot.....

His tractor takes 10 gallons; yours about 6.

So his $38/year is about $23/year for yours (60%).

If 5 gallons of Coastal was $50 versus $104 for SUDT2, you'd save $15/year over 8 years, or $120 in 8 years.

Just for giggles - - I cut Jay's service time by 75% to 2 years. You'd save $60/year.....

$1.20 a week certainly makes it a worthwhile to gamble an $9,000 HST replacement in my book....I mean you only paid $30,000 or so for the tractor.

I have a good friend that never does preventive maintenance. It's too expensive....

He has a new TLB of a different color, and bitches at me for advice when it doesn't start or work for him in winter after sitting outside....

Maybe we should talk low-cost motor oils and filters....you could probably save at least $10/year there....

There's an old saying; "Penny-wise and Pound foolish...."

Geez.....I remember all those guys that come back to OTT after a couple years saying "my tractor won't move....":mad:
RCW that was cool taking my info and doing a little comparison.

It would actually be less because I used the SUDT2 for my front axle as well, which I included in the cost to purchase and allowed for some extra for top off between changes. If memory serves me from last year it took about 13.8 gallons total. That may be off but pretty sure real close.

Take away front axle and top off for between changes and the cost drops even more for my service.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
Could be, so I guess I will soon know what the issue is or was. got it all one my tractor videos since new, as I make videos everytime it is in use.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It's right up there with a colonoscopy, hemorrhoids, or an in law visit! :rolleyes:
Colonoscopies aren't all that bad, you are asleep...lol It's the indignity of wearing a mo-mo that don't tie in the back and exposing your posterior to some stranger (Doctor) and all the nurses too... I've had more than one. In fact I get them regularly now. They have to keep an eye on me with my cancer issues.

Last one was up the rear and down the throat too. I asked the Doctor if she was going to use the same probe. She laughed.... :rolleyes:

I was in la la land but no aftertaste so I presume the probe was not tag teamed.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
This thread reminds me of the the idiot that put hydraulic jack oil in his dodge caravan's brake system as he did not want to drive all the way to town(12 miles) to buy brake fluid. Found the ABS module did have a small leak. Replaced the module and bled system. Two weeks later the vehicle is back with dragging brakes. Found hoses swelled and calipers leaking. Then the truth comes out from the customer. His theory was "that they are both hydraulic systems and the fluid was going to leak out anyways, so I topped the system off before bringing it in" Ended up replacing both calipers, both wheel cylinders, master cylinder, ABS module, all brake hoses, and flushed the lines out with gasoline(bug sprayer type adapter). Only a few thousand dollars in repairs and vehicle did get a ride on a tow truck, but customer saved the time by not having to drive to town.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Pennywise, pound foolish. People (customers) like that pay your wages, keep the lights on too. I find it amusing the lengths people go to, to save a dime.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
Mystic JT-5 is what NIW states he uses in many threads similar to this one
Thanks, I used the CITGO JT5 before my local store stopped selling it. now only available online... to me this is another oil at a reasonable price point. just availability if an issue. I think that Mystik JT-5 is the same product?

Status
Not open for further replies.