Clearly I had no idea how to grease trailer wheel bearings that have zerk fittings.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I still do that if I have removed and cleaned the bearings for inspection (every 2 years).
That is the only way to service the trailer bearings and inspect the brakes, this EZ-Lube nonsense is just a sales gimmick for those that like to ignore proper maintenance. In PA, and I suppose some other states. the brakes need to be inspected every year. How would you like to pull the hub with that tube of grease making a mess?

The axle manufacturers have been producing a incorrect design for many years, look at their drawing and you will see virtually no shoulder for the rear bearing cup to contact. I did actual measurements and found that there are some with no shoulder when considering tolerances. Now consider the grease being pumped in right where that poor contact is and filling the seal with grease and then pushing thru to the brakes. In addition, how long do you thing the proper bearing clearance will be in tolerance with this faulty design? Just one more reason to do it right and forget the grease zerk B.S.

dexter_bearings.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
With a Dexter type E-Z lube system in addition to rotating the wheel slowly while manually pumping grease, it is good idea to tow the trailer around for 10-20 minutes to warm the grease in the hub. It will make pushing out the old grease easier and lessen the chance of blowing a seal.

With our tandem Dexter axle RV, I use a Trailer Aid Plus to lift the wheel off the ground. The Trailer Aid is safer than a jack for lubing the axle or changing a tire. With the travel trailer connected to the tow vehicle, everything is rock solid, and the Trailer Aid is faster.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
That is the only way to service the trailer bearings and inspect the brakes, this EZ-Lube nonsense is just a sales gimmick for those that like to ignore proper maintenance. In PA, and I suppose some other states. the brakes need to be inspected every year. How would you like to pull the hub with that tube of grease making a mess?

The axle manufacturers have been producing a incorrect design for many years, look at their drawing and you will see virtually no shoulder for the rear bearing cup to contact. I did actual measurements and found that there are some with no shoulder when considering tolerances. Now consider the grease being pumped in right where that poor contact is and filling the seal with grease and then pushing thru to the brakes. In addition, how long do you thing the proper bearing clearance will be in tolerance with this faulty design? Just one more reason to do it right and forget the grease zerk B.S.

View attachment 118992
I sorta have to disagree. Well, at least on my 4 Dexter axles. The EZ Lube has worked very well for many years. That picture is not an engineering drawing. The grease seal is designed so that interior pressure forces the lip tighter to the spindle. This is how the Bering Buddy maintains a water tight seal. It's also how a mess can happen because too much pressure will invert the lip and it will never seal right again.
They say the seal should be replaced any time the drum/ hub is removed. I'm guilty of not doing that, and never had grease on my brakes. Every few cycles I'll do it though. The grease in the hub stays put. Clean off the spindle before re mounting the hub and the seal shouldn't "squeegee" the grease off (and onto the brakes).
However, Its easy to set the seal too deep in the bore which could affect the seal- ability of the seal.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Several years ago, I bought a HF foldable trailer kit. It folds and rolls on castors. I had to initially pack the hubs with lithium based grease. I bought bearing buddies and filled/ pressurized the grease through them.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I sorta have to disagree. Well, at least on my 4 Dexter axles. The EZ Lube has worked very well for many years. That picture is not an engineering drawing.
I currently only have 5 Dexter axles, but I have had many more. I pulled trailers thru 48 states and a number of provinces. The picture is the one posted above and is reasonably accurate. I layed out the hubs in AutoCAD using actual measurements and engineering drawings, so that I could understand exactly what I was dealing with. Those that want to trust this junk to luck, all I can say is Good Luck.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I currently only have 5 Dexter axles, but I have had many more. I pulled trailers thru 48 states and a number of provinces. The picture is the one posted above and is reasonably accurate. I layed out the hubs in AutoCAD using actual measurements and engineering drawings, so that I could understand exactly what I was dealing with. Those that want to trust this junk to luck, all I can say is Good Luck.
Well, I guess luck has been with me. 200,000 miles over the last 20 years and (knock on wood) not a single failed bearing. That's just the race toy hauler. Not counting the boat, utility and cargo trailers. Come to think of ot, the toy hauler is the only one I have replaced the seals in.
That said, I have found bearings beginning to gall while doing winter maintenance. Which is exactly why I pull them apart every other year. I'd rather del with it at home instead of on the way to a race. Or worse yet- on the way home from one.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It's like a motor oil thread. So many swear by the brand they use.
I have Dexter hubs on my 12 y/o toyhauler and my 2021 PJ flatbed. My toyhauler I ignored the zerks and repacked the bearings the old school way every other year. For the first 6 or 8 years. Then, I gave the zerks a try.
No problems. No grease on the brakes. Turned a very messy 90 minute bearing repack on 4 wheels, into a 30 minute job with little mess.

Right after I bought my PJ flatbed I "dextered it" with the zerks. Hand grease gun, spinning the wheel. Each wheel took 1/2 tube of grease, or more. I figured the grease was filling in the btwn bearing gap on the hub.

But, someome on here said that Dexter recommends pulling the hub annually to check the brakes. !! So what's the point in the EZ Lube zerk?

I guess I'll go back to semi annual old school repacking the bearings. Sucks, because I only put about 500 miles a year on my toyhauler.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Btw. Pulling the wheels is a good thing.

The 2nd year after I bought my current toyhauler, I pulled the hubs to repack the bearings. 1st time pulling them on that trailer.
On one hub, there was no locking crown over the spindle nut!
Good thing it was on the right side of the trailer! Yeah. It was a Dexter axle.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
And here's me stuck in the dark ages
Haahahah...that brings back memories....except I never had fancy "gloves", I just wiped my hands off.

I also just pump until new grease comes out, but it's not nearly 1 tube per wheel.

I admittedly do not rotate the wheel though. However I grease them so often, that it hasn't mattered yet.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Haahahah...that brings back memories....except I never had fancy "gloves", I just wiped my hands off.

I also just pump until new grease comes out, but it's not nearly 1 tube per wheel.

I admittedly do not rotate the wheel though. However I grease them so often, that it hasn't mattered yet.
I think frequency is the key. Once they are packed I think one or two squirts isn’t a bad idea with regular use…I am not sure a tube of grease every other trip is necessary.

I am not sure if this link is helpful for anyone or not? But here is a link.

The FAQs are helpful too…there is one on repacking guideline and another on checking level of grease.

Happy New Year.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
From observing different people preloading wheel bearings I've concluded as many fail due to improper preloading as from lack of grease. I pull hubs on daily drivers about as often as some of y'all say you pull trailer hubs, I inspect trailers far less frequently. Which leads me to ask if you inspect trailers every year or two,what is your schedule for motor vehicles?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
From observing different people preloading wheel bearings I've concluded as many fail due to improper preloading as from lack of grease. I pull hubs on daily drivers about as often as some of y'all say you pull trailer hubs, I inspect trailers far less frequently. Which leads me to ask if you inspect trailers every year or two,what is your schedule for motor vehicles?
I agree with the preloading theory. Most folks I run into don't know that you aren't supposed to torque the spindle nut to 3000 lb ft.
All my vehicles have sealed bearings so no servicing really. They do get inspected for play at every tire rotation.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This is going well I think. These discussions often lead to a better understanding of what needs to be done and when. I appreciate everyone's input on this and look forward to many more trouble-free years of trailer ownership. I have a lot of trailers, and although they don't get used a lot, I want them to be reliable and safe when I need them.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
This is going well I think. These discussions often lead to a better understanding of what needs to be done and when. I appreciate everyone's input on this and look forward to many more trouble-free years of trailer ownership. I have a lot of trailers, and although they don't get used a lot, I want them to be reliable and safe when I need them.
Ots always the worst when something fails right when you need it!

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
You sound like a good prospect where trailers can be borrowed. Seems everyone I know neglect their trailers so I might have to grease it or fix a flat if I borrow it. :giggle:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You sound like a good prospect where trailers can be borrowed. Seems everyone I know neglect their trailers so I might have to grease it or fix a flat if I borrow it. :giggle:
I put one of my trailers up for sale on Craigslist today. I bought a PJ deck over hydraulic tilt 22ft trailer this past summer so don't need the 22ft equipment trailer any more. It's an excellent trailer, but the M6060 won't fit on it due to the rear wheel width and space between the trailer fenders (81-3/4" I think). If I get my money back out of it I won't be disappointed, and if I get a little more then it's better yet.

Reactions: 1 users