Chugging L245

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
I recently purchased a L245 with only 400 hrs on it. It runs and functions well. The only issue I am noticing is the engine is slow to rev up when the throttle is advanced. From an idle the engine "chugs" till it reaches rpm. The previous owner bought it with less than 200 hrs on it and says it has allways done this. I was wondering if someone with experience with these tractors can advise. Is this from a large flywheel? Is it possible that I have a fuel problem? The tractor Idles nice and slow, and runs smooth at RPM.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have an L225DT and i was experiencing the same issue. Turned out to be a dirty air filter and fuel filter. Swap those out, bleed air in the fuel system and you'll know right away if that was, indeed, the cause.

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
What I mean by chugging is that the engine rev's slowly as if it is trying to accelerate with a huge load behind it (like a very heavy flywheel). When you Stab the accelerator or advance the hand throttle it lags and "chuggs" to catch up. I had a Miller Trailblazer 350 D (engine driven welder). It had the same or similar Kubota diesel enging in it. I beleve it was 24 Hp also. That thing ran like a scalded dog. All friggin' day long. It raced up and down in the RPMs with a changing load. I've been working on engines and machinery most of my life. This just seems wrong, kinda like a gas engine with the timing very retarded. I am inexperienced with the kubota tractors and was hopeing mabe someone could shed some light.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Like someone else suggested I would change the fuel filter and the air filter. Although if the air filter is plugged that bad it would smoke like an old steam engine. I did have a tractor once that was acting similar, just kinda lazy. I changed all the fuel filters and did a visual on the air and thought it was ok but turned out that the safety element was plugged with diesel soot. So I guess the moral is change them all.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Like i just suggested, change all filters first. Start with basic maintenance and see if that helps with the sluggishness. My tractor was doing the same thing, slow to accelerate, and after i changed the filters, it was back to it's bad ass self!!! At least it can't hurt doing regular maintenance right?

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Well, for all of those who posted to my question or anyone who might be intrested here is what I learned...... I bought this tractor from my brother in law. He sold it because he said it didnt have enough power to mow his seven acers with a five foot bush hog excecpt in low 2. As advised by others on this forum, I did a complete service. I did find water and gelled fuel in the bottom of the fuel filter (no suprise in Florida, the humidity capitol of the world). I filled the fuel filter with injector cleaned (recomended by NAPA), bled the injection pump, and then loosened the pressure fuel line to each injector. While my brother in law cranked the engine I tightened the first injector that started to pump fuel. I just happened to be #3 as soon as I tightened it the engine tried to start. Immedatly number two started pumping and I tightened it. The engine started running like it was when I bought it. Funny thing though, No fuel from #1 injector. As you can immagine Thoughts of expensive fuel pumps started running through my head. I was hoping that It might be a clogged High pressure line so I went to loosen it at the injector pump. I found that the fitting coming out of the pressure pump was loose and could be moved around by hand (the bottom fitting the the wrench is pointing to). It was not leaking and had no signs of it in the past. I went ahead and loosened the line from the fitting. Still no fuel from the pump. Just for fun I tightened the fitting going into the pump (3/4 of a turn) and all of the sudden it started pumping fuel! I quickly reconnected the high pressure line to the #1 injector and PRESTO! I had a tractor that didn't chug. It ran like I thought it should. My brother in law just stood there shaking his head. He has owned that tractor for 5 years, never touched the high pressure lines and says it has always run that way since he bought it. For fun we hooked up a 6 foot bush hog and ran it through chest high weeds in high 3. That little cream puff never even let out a wimper......It's probably good that it was getting dark, so I couldn't see the tear in his eye.

This goes to tell a lot about these little giants. Three cylinders, minus one, plus the drag of the other cylinder equals about half power, and he has been using the tractor for years. I can only hope that there is no damage to the "draging" cylinder. All I can say is if you ever have a doubt about what type of tractor to buy, try running the others on half power.

Attachments

Last edited:

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
That is great to hear. Its so nice to have your equipment finally running like it should. Question, this high pressure line you mention, are you referring to the Injector fuel line coming from the injector pump that connects to each fuel injector?

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
OK , if you are intrested I got the photo to upload.....Finally! The loose fitting was the one the wrench is pointing to.

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Thanks JWD. Is your L245 4WD? Also. does it have the D1100 engine?
Unfortunately it is not 4WD. I have a brand new M6040 that is 4wd with a FEL. It does the work when I need 4WD. I plan on using the L245 mainly for mowing......so I don't have to keep changing impliments or scratch the paint in my new tractor:). Im not sure what engine is in it? If you need to know I'll find out.