Check Chains

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I seen a thread on TBN about these and got me thinking and I decided to make me a set. I know it will help getting the rotory cutter to the same level each time when using it - but also, I have TnT setup and the Prince valve I used has internal leak rate high enough that the cylinders leak off more than I'd like and I end up looking back and seeing the cutter deck tilted over to one side after a few minutes of operation. These chains will prevent that as well.

I used scrap I had on hand. 3" angle for the chain hook bracket and mounted them to the ROPS brace with 1/2" bolts. The layout of the L3800 Top Link mounts and PTO shield didn't allow me to use the Top Link mounting point as most do for check chains.

I used 2-1/2" angle to make a bracket to pin to the lift arms and weld the chain to. I couldn't find a 9/16 pin at Tractor Supply, so I made them from bolts.

I'll just link the chain over the pins for the stabilzer arms when not in use.

While I don't think the chain would ever fall off either location, I am not taking any chances with it getting under the rotory cutter or finish mower. I had these threaded chain links on hand, but think I'll pick up a couple of carabiners to secure the chain end to it will be a quicker process.

Hydroman

Sep 7, 2010
South Central Nebraska
number9,

Great idea. I've got the exact same problem with my LX3240-GT. Going to start working on duplicating your fix within a day or two now that my cutting is done for now. Mine would go way off tilt in about 2 hours. Quite maddening.

Thanks, Pete

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Did you drill and then plasma arc? Or ......

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Did you drill and then plasma arc? Or ......
Actually, when we bought this property there was a little scrap metal left laying around and I kept it all knowing I'd use it for something. There was a piece of 3" angle attached to what looked like someone tried to make a bumper hitch or something and it was 8.5" long and already had those large holes in it. I just cut the angle loose from the other pieces and then cut it in half to make the brackets. The holes worked out perfect for the scrap chain they left as well. I think the holes are 1-1/8".

Next, I used an angle grinder to cut the sides of the slots, a hammer and punch to bend the tabs out and vice grips to break them off. Finished the bottom of the slots with a round file.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Actually, when we bought this property there was a little scrap metal left laying around and I kept it all knowing I'd use it for something. There was a piece of 3" angle attached to what looked like someone tried to make a bumper hitch or something and it was 8.5" long and already had those large holes in it. I just cut the angle loose from the other pieces and then cut it in half to make the brackets. The holes worked out perfect for the scrap chain they left as well. I think the holes are 1-1/8".

Next, I used an angle grinder to cut the sides of the slots, a hammer and punch to bend the tabs out and vice grips to break them off. Finished the bottom of the slots with a round file.

I like a man that can use old tool technology! :D I jumped to a conclusion that everyone has a plasma arc cutter:p........personally when it comes to sharpening lawn mower blades and what not, I prefer the hand file as a opposed to a grinder. Seems that slow and easy gets a better finish than a quick cutter......even though a plasma arc cutter does do a verrrry nice job.
Anyway, nice use of your "scrap metal" ! :eek: And a nice job!

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Shoot man, hand tools are all I got, I've got a lot of them though ;) My high tech tools are an angle grinder, dremel and Lincoln AC/DC buzz box. Oh, and an IR impact :D ......and I've got a Machining, Manufacturing, Robotics background hahaha

I just got an angle grinder about 2yr ago. I've wore two dremels out. You'd be surprised with what you can do with a dremel and a cutoff wheel. I didn't have a lot of tools or equipment growing up, so I learned really well how to work with what I have and it's just stuck with me. Heck, I don't even have a bench vise - keep meaning to buy one but every time I really need one I always find a way to look around at anything steel, heavy and I can put a C-clamp on and get it done.

One day, I'll have a Bridgeport mill in my shop.............

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So thats what the holes in my mower are for.
I could use something like that.

I worked many years with tools on hand, wasnt easy sometimes.
Lathe, drill press, big compessor mig arc and plasma.
Now projects actually look like i planned them.

Sure makes things easier. But it comes with a price tag....