Changed fuel filter, now leaks through retainer ring

TigerTraktor

Equipment
1986 L4150DT
Oct 26, 2024
Idaho
I have a 1986 L4150DT. The fuel filter retainer ring and filter bowl were sweating diesel so I put a new fuel filter in along with new o-rings. Now, as soon as I turn the fuel cock on, it leaks through the retainer ring. I've taken it apart and inspected everything. The o-ring seems to fit correctly. The filter bowl looks good...no cracks or warping. Everything is clean. After repeatedly taking things apart and putting back together, i have been able to have it not leak a few times. I then open the air vent cock 1 to bleed the air out and no fuel drains out like the manual says should happen. Why does no fuel drain out? I'd appreciate any ideas or help. Thank you.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I assume you are talking about a L4150 and not a L4140. ;)

Pull the vent line off the top of the filter housing (yellow).
If you get fuel the valve or line is plugged (green).
If you don't get fuel, pull the out bound fuel line (blue).
If you get fuel then you'll need to pull the inbound fuel line and see if you have flow.
If you have flow inbound then you will need to pull the housing and clean out the ports.
If you don't have flow, does the tank have fuel in it?
Blow a small amount of air back into the line and see if you now get flow?
If you do you'll need to pull and clean the tank.
1729970635259.png

Reactions: 1 user

TigerTraktor

Equipment
1986 L4150DT
Oct 26, 2024
Idaho
I assume you are talking about a L4150 and not a L4140. ;)

Pull the vent line off the top of the filter housing (yellow).
If you get fuel the valve or line is plugged (green).
If you don't get fuel, pull the out bound fuel line (blue).
If you get fuel then you'll need to pull the inbound fuel line and see if you have flow.
If you have flow inbound then you will need to pull the housing and clean out the ports.
If you don't have flow, does the tank have fuel in it?
Blow a small amount of air back into the line and see if you now get flow?
If you do you'll need to pull and clean the tank.
View attachment 140603

TigerTraktor

Equipment
1986 L4150DT
Oct 26, 2024
Idaho
Yes, L4150DT. Thanks for your reply. I know i'm getting fuel from the tank because when i turn the fuel cock to on, fuel comes out of the housing. I blew air through the hole in the housing for the vent line and air came out of the green line #180 of the schematic you provided. I had the valve #130 in the open position. If air is coming out, shouldn't the fuel be able to come out? I was able to get the filter down to a slow drip. I didn't want to tighten the sleeve ring any more. I followed the bleeding procedure listed in the manual: open vent cock 1 (no fuel comes out) then open vent cock 2 and turn engine over for 10 seconds then close. Then i try to start the engine with no luck just small puffs coming out of exhaust pipe. Might i need a new fuel bowl to stop the leaking? The o-ring is new from Kubota. I don't understand why it's leaking now? Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
don't remember on those but on a lot of the "newer" ones I dealt with, there was supposed to be an o-ring between the cup and the mount. Real easy to miss it, and if you do, they WILL leak.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerTraktor

Equipment
1986 L4150DT
Oct 26, 2024
Idaho
Thanks for the reply. Yes I put a new genuine Kubota o-ring in between the cup and the mount with no luck. I then tried the old o-ring with no luck. I ordered a new cup. Perhaps the old cup is defective somehow.

Russell King

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Make sure there is not a second old o ring left over from some previous change. Look up into the housing to make sure it looks like there is not an extra oring there.

Is there some o ring that fits on top of the filter element that is missing?