Chain saw question

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
hummm… another piece of maybe practical advice.

So guys, what’s the verdict on my dilemma? Is perhaps a slight increase of RPM due to a decrease in exhaust flow resistance a real concern? I remember when I was a kid 60 years ago we did everything we could to reduce restrictions in exhaust systems on the cars of those days…

edit: also, I don’t use this saw much. If I used it 20 hours in a year, I would be patting my back with both hands multiple times!
I have used saws for years and never fiddled with removing the spark arrestor. Cleaning needs are very infrequent.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I am not an expert so your results may be different.
I have taken classes in small engine maintenance and repair and I service/ maintain numerous two stroke and 4 stroke pieces of equipment. Stihl synthetic 2 stroke oil is fine if you always run wide open throttle and burn through fuel vs. long term fuel storage.

Several videos on YouTube of Stihl synthetic oil causing problems in storage and run at lower throttle positions. Stihl states that oil is bio-degradable and there is debate about what that can lead to in lower throttle output and storage.

I run Echo Red Armor at 40:1 with premium non ethanol gasoline and mix 2.5 gallons at a time. I agree that Chickanic, Mower Medic, Tarral and several other small engine mechanics are good sources of information on YouTube.
When I was cutting cords of wood, I would always make up my own 2 cycle fuel mix. Now that I just use it occasionally for cleanup around the property, I buy that expensive pre-mixed tru fuel. It seems to store better and remain stable for long periods of time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you are having to clean the spark arrestor too often, you should consider different fuel and/ or oil. Or even your measuring method.
True

I’ve never fouled a spark arrestor.

Do know quite a few folks that have and can cause issues like Henro has.

Your advice is very applicable.

Reactions: 1 user