Chain around the mower blade

rag

Equipment
L3300 , GF1800
Dec 14, 2020
Canada
Somebody left a chain in the grass from last year and I ran over it with the GF1800E / mower. When I ran over the chain it made a gosh awful noise and the whole tractor quit. I raised the mower up with the bigger Kubota , cut out the chain and towed it back to where there is electricity to charge up the battery (( about 100 ft tow ) .. got to get a new battery, nothing to do with my run in with the chain. . need new blades as well cause it it time, ) The mower still works but the whole little tractor shimmies and vibrates. Any diagnosis for the shimmy?
thanks for any help, Rose

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Somebody left a chain in the grass from last year and I ran over it with the GF1800E / mower. When I ran over the chain it made a gosh awful noise and the whole tractor quit. I raised the mower up with the bigger Kubota , cut out the chain and towed it back to where there is electricity to charge up the battery (( about 100 ft tow ) .. got to get a new battery, nothing to do with my run in with the chain. . need new blades as well cause it it time, ) The mower still works but the whole little tractor shimmies and vibrates. Any diagnosis for the shimmy?
Hopefully, the vibration is caused by a bent blade and will be corrected by replacing the blades. However, it may be caused by a damaged spindle or something else. Once you have straight blades, can you made sure all blades line up with (spin in the same plane) each other?
BTW, I can imagine the racket. Last year I was clearing a trail with our 6' bush hog. I had a 6' chain tied up on the deck. But the end of the chain dropped through the hole in the deck that's there for access to the nut holding the blades on. That end caught on something on top of the stump jumper, pulling the rest in and slinging the whole thing out. I didn't even bother trying to find my chain.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I found a loose piece of rebar while mowing a previously neglected portion of my property a couple years ago. That was also a hell of a thing. I agree with @PoTreeBoy, start with replacing the blades and if the vibration still exists, check the spindle bearings and possibly the spindle assemblies. Between those, you should be back in business.

rag

Equipment
L3300 , GF1800
Dec 14, 2020
Canada
Hopefully, the vibration is caused by a bent blade and will be corrected by replacing the blades. However, it may be caused by a damaged spindle or something else. Once you have straight blades, can you made sure all blades line up with (spin in the same plane) each other?
BTW, I can imagine the racket. Last year I was clearing a trail with our 6' bush hog. I had a 6' chain tied up on the deck. But the end of the chain dropped through the hole in the deck that's there for access to the nut holding the blades on. That end caught on something on top of the stump jumper, pulling the rest in and slinging the whole thing out. I didn't even bother trying to find my chain.
Thank you for suggestion. I'll be getting new blades on Monday.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Would suspect along with a bent blade/s, a spindle shaft/s, bearings, etc. may also be damaged. Deck could also be damaged some.

rag

Equipment
L3300 , GF1800
Dec 14, 2020
Canada
NOt sure it is the blades causing the vibration as the mower isn't engaged so they wouldn't be spinning.. could towing it cause a problem? just the back wheels were on the ground when being towed

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
NOt sure it is the blades causing the vibration as the mower isn't engaged so they wouldn't be spinning.. could towing it cause a problem? just the back wheels were on the ground when being towed
Oh. Sounds like something else, but I don't know anything about your model mower.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Check the V belt for any spot with extra wear. If the blade stopped and the motor kept trying to drive the mower, you can get the equivalent of flat stops in the V belt which will cause lots of vibration.

Dave

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
If you’re saying that the whole machine shakes now with no PTO engaged, you might a bent the crank in the motor. Had that happen on a walk behind when I ran it over a busted off concrete post some years back.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
? Shows in the service, repair and maintenance on my browser. I browse 'em all anyway.
Either I am nuts or the thread got moved! One is as likely as the other I fear! Probably more likely I’m nuts!

I really think at the time I saw the post is was in the buy/sell forum as I do not get there that often so it caught my attention. Been wrong enough in my life though...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Either I am nuts or the thread got moved! One is as likely as the other I fear! Probably more likely I’m nuts!

I really think at the time I saw the post is was in the buy/sell forum as I do not get there that often so it caught my attention. Been wrong enough in my life though...
It does not prove you are NOT nuts but the thread did move.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users