CDL trailer

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Guys, I'm aware that most of us use a trailer to pull our Kubota's around.

I'm going to offer up some advice-and food for thought-based on experience.

If you're pulling a trailer that has a max RATING of over 10,000 lbs, you need a CDL to pull it legally. If you're pulling a trailer with a 9900 lb rating and your rig "looks" heavier than 10,000, you could be ticketed.

Place I work for, 1 ton pickup w/24' gooseneck with a max rating of 18k, one of the lights was hit with road debris, knocked the light off/out, cop pulled driver over for it, and then nailed him for quite a few different violations, the big one was no CDL. They also wouldn't let the driver go with the load, he had to sit there until one of us went to pick him up, then we had to have a CDL driver go get the truck/trailer and drive it to the shop-from about 90 miles away. Headache.

I know a LEO, and asked about this. He said that in this immediate area, they're cracking down. Said quite a few of these 1 tons pulling dozers and whatnot have been nailed, and the fines are pretty stiff for violation. They're doing it for the fine monies.

You wouldn't think a 1 ton pickup would need a CDL but they way the regs are written, if a trailer is being pulled that has a maximum rating of 10,001 lbs or greater, you need a CDL. 9999 you don't. And keep in mind that they go by the RATED max weight of the trailer, also if they "think" you're over, they'll weigh you right on the side of the road. Our weight in the case of our driver, was 7771 trailer weight-well under the 10k threshold, however the trailer's RATING was 18,000, which according to the law, requires the driver to carry a CDL and of course all of the crap that goes along with that (logs, etc). Ridiculous if you ask me but it is what it is. The trailer tow capacity of most of the newer 1 ton pickup trucks is in excess of 20,000 lbs and the truck alone is usually 8000-9000, so that puts the driver of the heavy load in need of a CDL-but a salesman ain't ever gonna tell you that because 90% of us 1 ton drivers don't have a CDL and don't think we need one. Neighbor guy pulls his camper with a 1 ton dually, camper is well over 10K. My friend pulls his '57 chevy with a 30' enclosed trailer, it isn't heavy, but the trailer does have a tag on the side of it that says "max weight rating: 12,000 lbs"...which is over 10K (duh) and thus he needs a CDL to pull it to/from the drag strip. He is selling his trailer and going back to a 26' with a 9000 lb rating to avoid the hassles of the CDL, and I don't blame him. That and he will likely be able to sell the 30' for more than a brand new 26' costs.

Just food for thought, for whatever it's worth.:mad:

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
Each state is different. Read the law carefully. Most people don't know what they are talking about.

In Alabama the magic number is 26000 pounds. An f-250(10k gross) and a 16000 lb. trailer is ok. I had a employee argue with me for two days over this. PA uses a "or" and Alabama has "and" in the law. Other wise, the laws are almost the same.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
What if I want to drive around with one ounce of chlorine gas in my passenger vehicle which has a GVWR of 5000 lbs?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lugbolt, you bring up something I'll have to run by my regional safety director at work. It was my understanding that it went by registered weight of the vehicle/ trailer. And anything over 10,001 pounds, and under 26,001 lbs with out air brakes you needed a DOT med card (proof of DOT physical) but a CDL wasn't required.

The reason I say this, we have a 3500 flat bed that is usually attached to a goose neck qtrailer. I'm in an F550 service truck. Truck weighs 14,500 lbs. I'm routinely dragging equipment around. I do have a med card. Actually just had my current physical a couple days ago.

I've also been pulled over for safety inspections, one in just the service truck, the other towing a piece of equipment that weighed 8,500 lbs :eek: No issues with either inspection. They asked for my med card which I provided, and truck and equipment weighed in at 23,000 lbs :D Well under the 26,001 lbs.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Here in Michigan a CDL is required as well as Federal DOT numbers and I have them both. 1 ton pickup with a Kaufman tandem axle goose rated for 18K on the deck that I overload all the time.

DOT busts lawn care outfits around here all the time for no DOT numbers and it's a 150 buck fine each time. If you have a commercial venture and pull equipment on a trailer (weight don't matter), better have DOT numbers on your truck.

I like having the DOT numbers anyway. It gets me cheaper diesel in Indiana at exempt stations.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Well I've been stopped several times over the years, different states, different roads, sometimes loaded sometimes not.

It seems that the weigh boys want to make up new laws on the side of the road, and I've proven that twice in the courtroom. What a pain in the back side.

The officers don't even know the laws sometimes, so they just make something up.

In our case I called the authorities and we talked about the laws in question and they were right, we need a CDL for our driver to pull the trailer with 18K rating regardless of what the actual weight is.

My first thought was because the truck has DOT numbers on it but they seemed to be not interested in that, because the truck was originally registered in Texas and they PAINTED the DOT info on the doors, which was then sprayed over (but still visible). Poor job there, but it's how we got the truck. Just a 1 ton chevy gas burner which I absolutely hate but it's what we have.

For you guys who have CDL, are you required to keep up with logs? ELD?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well I've been stopped several times over the years, different states, different roads, sometimes loaded sometimes not.

It seems that the weigh boys want to make up new laws on the side of the road, and I've proven that twice in the courtroom. What a pain in the back side.

The officers don't even know the laws sometimes, so they just make something up.

In our case I called the authorities and we talked about the laws in question and they were right, we need a CDL for our driver to pull the trailer with 18K rating regardless of what the actual weight is.

My first thought was because the truck has DOT numbers on it but they seemed to be not interested in that, because the truck was originally registered in Texas and they PAINTED the DOT info on the doors, which was then sprayed over (but still visible). Poor job there, but it's how we got the truck. Just a 1 ton chevy gas burner which I absolutely hate but it's what we have.

For you guys who have CDL, are you required to keep up with logs? ELD?
Have no idea what ELD is but on logs, DOT requirements state last 7 days. Unlike a big commercial truck that is now electronic. you can keep the last 7 days as a paper log. I keep mine on a sheet of notebook paper.

Just got stopped yesterday and checked. Checked my CDL, checked my last 7 days, checked my DOT numbers, told me to have a nice day...

Better than a 150 buck fine. DOT numbers are free but you have to fill out the forms (you can do it online). Far as I'm concerned, it's a revenue thing, nothing more but I'm not into giving them money willy nilly.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Believe most trailer weight info on tractor forums is misleading. The 10K trailer weight is relative if, yes if, the combined weight exceeds the 26K threshold .

Might vary by state, I don't haul beyond MY borders, so it is irrelevant.

Don't expect anyone to accept my interpretation, I will not accept that of other posters.

It IS the responsibility of each operator to verify the DMV, DOT regulations within the jurisdiction (s) of operation. Know the law, not guess the law.

Can envision you folks in front of a judge, but your honor, I received my information from a tractor forum !!

Understand the difference: intrastate vs interstate and GVWR of the towing vehicle in conjunction w/ the combined
GVWR.

Judge concludes: Well defendent, in that case I assess a 50 percent surcharge to the fine for absolute stupidity.

The Medical Card requirement also varies by the weight threshold in that particular state and whether the operation is interstate or intrastate. The national statutes are not universal. Some states are 10,001, some 12,000, others no med card needed under the CDL threshold, 26,001. All interstate operation is 10,001. States enjoy intrastate discretion.

Case in point: I have a class B CDL. I drive exclusively intrastate. My CDL is grandfathered prior to the 911 inspired federal DOT revisions. I am NOT required (wavier) to possess a med certification card. This is just an example of why each individual must review the law as it pertains to them. I have in the past worked for a national employer who mandated that all driver employees possess a med cert card. Circumstances may be confusing, so personal knowledge based upon the applicable laws is essential.

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Believe most trailer weight info on tractor forums is misleading. The 10K trailer weight is relative if, yes if, the combined weight exceeds the 26K threshold .

Might vary by state, I don't haul beyond MY borders, so it is irrelevant.

Don't expect anyone to accept my interpretation, I will not accept that of other posters.

It IS the responsibility of each operator to verify the DMV, DOT regulations within the jurisdiction (s) of operation. Know the law, not guess the law.

Can envision you folks in front of a judge, but your honor, I received my information from a tractor forum !!

Understand the difference: intrastate vs interstate and GVWR of the towing vehicle in conjunction w/ the combined
GVWR.

Judge concludes: Well defendent, in that case I assess a 50 percent surcharge to the fine for absolute stupidity.

The Medical Card requirement also varies by the weight threshold in that particular state and whether the operation is interstate or intrastate. The national statutes are not universal. Some states are 10,001, some 12,000, others no med card needed under the CDL threshold, 26,001. All interstate operation is 10,001. States enjoy intrastate discretion.

Case in point: I have a class B CDL. I drive exclusively intrastate. My CDL is grandfathered prior to the 911 inspired federal DOT revisions. I am NOT required (wavier) to possess a med certification card. This is just an example of why each individual must review the law as it pertains to them. I have in the past worked for a national employer who mandated that all driver employees possess a med cert card. Circumstances may be confusing, so personal knowledge based upon the applicable laws is essential.
May vary by state (not sure) but here in Michigan it's 20,000 pounds GCVW
I look at it this way. Might as well be in compliance and avoid the fine and possible shutdown on the side of the road. DOT numbers are free and easy to obtain online and a CDL isn't that complex either. You don't need a Class A, a Class B will suffice and no air brake endorsement either.

I haul exempt commodities for the farm, but I look at why take the chance.

Everything you need to know and things you don't are spelled out on the Federal DOT website as well as the DOT Number application.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Well my boss (big boss) is a judge. How ironic.

Anyway, they charge $40 here for the DOT study materials, then charge to take the tests. I'm going to go get it and study up, then go ahead & get a class A. Why not? Why get a B and then at some point later in life need an A and not have it. Air brake, flat bed, hazmat and some of the other endorsements I won't need-and if I ever do, someone else can drive.

Besides, I look at it this way. How many ads do you see that are wanting CDL-B drivers? 99% of the ad's I see say "wanted CDL-A drivers, top pay". Might be more to it but that's what I see, so in that sense, an A would be an investment that I could use later on down the line if I get tired of tractors-which is happening sooner than I expected.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
It may be possible to obtain a class A Without a Air Brake endorsement, but being considered for a Class A employment position, without said endorsement is close to impossible !!

A rare scenario: GVWR tow vehicle >26,001 lbs but less than 33,000lbs with hydraulic brakes and a trailer in excess of 10,000 gvwr w/ electric or elec over hyd brakes.
Just NOT common. Maybe a small asphalt driveway contractor?

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Here is a link to the Federal DOT number website explaining when you need a number. For intrastate or in state, only about half the states require a DOT number, my state New Hampshire doesn***8217;t. However, that changes if you leave the state, then you need one.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It may be possible to obtain a class A Without a Air Brake endorsement, but being considered for a Class A employment position, without said endorsement is close to impossible !!

A rare scenario: GVWR tow vehicle >26,001 lbs but less than 33,000lbs with hydraulic brakes and a trailer in excess of 10,000 gvwr w/ electric or elec over hyd brakes.
Just NOT common. Maybe a small asphalt driveway contractor?
Not an issue for me. I'm retired, 35 years hauling steel. Just farm now.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Anyway, they charge $40 here for the DOT study materials, then charge to take the tests. I'm going to go get it and study up, then go ahead & get a class A. Why not? Why get a B and then at some point later in life need an A and not have it. Air brake, flat bed, hazmat and some of the other endorsements I won't need-and if I ever do, someone else can drive.

Besides, I look at it this way. How many ads do you see that are wanting CDL-B drivers? 99% of the ad's I see say "wanted CDL-A drivers, top pay". Might be more to it but that's what I see, so in that sense, an A would be an investment that I could use later on down the line if I get tired of tractors-which is happening sooner than I expected.
Keep in mind that getting a A or B entails a driving and skills test with a certified examiner, in a qualified vehicle. That is, for an A with air brakes and combination vehicle, the skills test must be in a tractor trailer.

Take it from my experience, being a truck driver isn't all it's cracked up to be. I retired (35 years) from a private carrier that only hauled the product (processed steel) that it's owner (the company) produced and we were home every night, drove late model equipment, Conventional Western Star's with slider tarp flat beds, had full benefits and were paid hourly and an excellent pension. Those jobs don't exist today and if they do, getting one with no experience is highly unlikely. The outfit I worked for required 10 years verifiable experience, accident free license and a very through background check and I considered myself very lucky to get hired as the applicant list was huge.

Would I even consider driving today. Not on your life.

If you really think it's a gravy job, go for it and report back in 6 months and tell us how 'gravy' it is.

comforthill

Equipment
B2620,back blade,mower,tiller,loader,middlebuster,landscape rake
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
I have a 2500 HD Silverado 2004, Duramax with a Big Tex 25-5 gooseneck and it is my understanding here in Michigan as long as it is not for hire and I use it for personal use it and I are exempt from DOT and Michigan DOT regulations. Just completed a 1800 mile round trip to North Carolina and back with no problems from DOT at all. In fact in Virginia a VIrginia State Trooper passed us and gave me the thumbs up sign after he slowly looked at the trailer and it's contents and tie down job.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Just be careful about the ramifications of having an Class A CDL and getting any kind of ticket, in some states a simple speeding ticket while driving a car/pickup, can get your CDL suspended where a normal lic would just have gotten you a fine. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just be careful about the ramifications of having an Class A CDL and getting any kind of ticket, in some states a simple speeding ticket while driving a car/pickup, can get your CDL suspended where a normal lic would just have gotten you a fine. ;)
Exactly the reason my father let his CDL go after retiring.....let alone cost, etc..

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I have a 2500 HD Silverado 2004, Duramax with a Big Tex 25-5 gooseneck and it is my understanding here in Michigan as long as it is not for hire and I use it for personal use it and I are exempt from DOT and Michigan DOT regulations. Just completed a 1800 mile round trip to North Carolina and back with no problems from DOT at all. In fact in Virginia a VIrginia State Trooper passed us and gave me the thumbs up sign after he slowly looked at the trailer and it's contents and tie down job.
My understanding is that if you drive a pickup, any size, or a car with a name on the side, DOT can pull you over. I've never seen it, but I did have a nice 3 hour visit with them when I was hauling milk.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk