cattle cubes in transmission :(

pdubdo

Equipment
L3901, RTV 400ci
Mar 17, 2021
Texas
So, I have a mouse that stashes cattle cubes in my transmission. Didn't know what the problem was, took it to the dealer and they took out 5 lbs of cubes (pic is from 1st time). Put a bunch of Irish spring soap all over the vehicle...the mice ate the soap and did it again. I am not very mechanically minded, and my initial attempt to take the cover off failed (could only access about 1/2 the bolts) but can see the space is packed again. So, how much of the RTV do I need to take apart to get the cover off? Looks like the shock has to come off? Taking the wheel off would help. Other tips/suggestions? Or tell me I'm in over my head :). Thanks!
IMG_0537.jpeg

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Wow!

Only advice I can give is get yourself some big ol' Victor rat traps with peanut butter for bait. You'll catch the culprits.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think John Deere dealers handle a product call "No More Mice", or something like that. Those critters sure enjoy range cubes, don't they!

Mice don't require a vary big hole to get themselves through, but a range cube is at least 3/4" diameter, so you have to get some holes plugged. I think a mouse can get through a hole the diameter of a wooden pencil.

Do you keep the machine in the barn? Have you seen the 5 gal bucket traps with a pop/beer can on a rod with peanut butter smeared on the can and water in the bottom of the bucket? You can get the plans on YouTube and make one easily. They require no poison and can catch many without your attention.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
My parents have a camp where they deal with mice when they are not there. They currently use a combination of moth balls, cloves and drier sheets to keep them away. No idea if it truly makes a difference but they claim that it does...

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I would think, as big as those cubes are, it is a larger rodent doing that, like a rat or chipmunk.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
had similar issue with one of only TWO Yamaha Pro-Hauler ATV's that I worked on (in 30 years!).

One came in, said it wouldn't start. Verified, cranks over, won't start. Got spark? Yup. Compression? Enough to run. Well spray it. Remove air box lid and the box was full (top to bottom side to side completely utterly PACKED with Meow Mix. Cleared it all out and gave it a shot of carb cleaner, fired right off and ran as good as a Pro Hauler should run.

Customer didn't believe me until I showed him pics. I told him to get a cat but he said he hates cats. The VERY next day a lady shows up with a bad boy MTV (electric utv, pos) and said that the batteries were junk. I pulled the seat off and there is a little scared kitten about 10-12 weeks old just sitting there on top of the batteries scared to death! Shaking. I've never seen a cat shaking before. I picked it up and it crawled all over me. Went into the office and called the guy who had the pro hauler and told him I had a cat for him, free of charge. The lady who brought it in, had no idea where it came from but it must have rode to the shop from her house, because it was a non-stop drive, about an hour & a half. No wonder the cat was scared.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I dislike cats but sometime they just need to live.

pdubdo, can't you close the opening into the tranny?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think the op is more concerned with how to take his machine far enough apart to get this batch of cubes out. Unfortunately I can't help with that, anyone know easiest way to get it apart? Wsm?

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Irish Spring no longer works, they changed the formula. Neighbor used to use it, then a year or so ago the new bars he put in no longer worked.
Peppermint oil worked for me for a while, then they got used to it and they just moved the cotton balls that I put it on.
Some people say rock salt has been working for them against rats, not mice though.
There is a product called Fresh Cab that looks like a large tea bag that's filled with all sorts of spices.
Seems to work against mice for some people, but needs to be renewed frequently.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I put these in the corners, up on shelves, out-of-dog/cat reach. No mice or rat problems.
4EEB9EDE-C89B-47E2-9594-0E20B9620C74.png

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I use the same, Tomcat cubes. Living in the woods, especially in the fall when temps drop, we used to get families move in. Found them in my last tractor in the garage and they were in our bedroom walls.

I placed these cubes in the basement (it's walkout) and in the garage. No more mice. Just an occasional dead one.

I was very careful to place them where the dogs can't get to them.

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I am not familiar with this vehicle, but can you leave the lid open around it? Mice normally won't take up residence unless they feel safe. I had issues with them getting under the hood on my tractor and also into the built in tool box. I know leave the hood propped open a few inches, along with the tool box access cover and they have not built a nest or stashed food since.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
So, I have a mouse that stashes cattle cubes in my transmission. Didn't know what the problem was, took it to the dealer and they took out 5 lbs of cubes (pic is from 1st time). Put a bunch of Irish spring soap all over the vehicle...the mice ate the soap and did it again. I am not very mechanically minded, and my initial attempt to take the cover off failed (could only access about 1/2 the bolts) but can see the space is packed again. So, how much of the RTV do I need to take apart to get the cover off? Looks like the shock has to come off? Taking the wheel off would help. Other tips/suggestions? Or tell me I'm in over my head :). Thanks!
View attachment 56511
Ok hearing nothing from any of the folks that might have done this before, so on general principles I recommend a shop manual. Some available for $10 on eBay, but I’d first call your dealer. If kind he might download a copy on a flash drive, and also tell you easiest way to access the cubes. If it were me and I could sort of get to them, I might try to weasel them out one at a time with a shop vac and maybe some long forceps. Tedious, but could work. If they are in a spot designed to get wet, when most are out, and if the cubes crumble easily after wet, you could try to flush out remaining ones. Let us know how you solve the problem!