Carry all

KBinCT

Nov 16, 2014
Ledyard, CT USA
Looks awesome, stout & handy! Cool trailer, too! But a question, if I may: Why 3 saws?
I know I probably don't cut nearly as much wood as you back east folks, but I find a single saw, gas & oil cans, & a touch up file usually get me through a long day of cutting. Just wondering, and probably a little jealous at the number & color of your saws.
Saw #2 is for getting saw #1 out of the tree when the bar gets pinched.. Saw #3 is for getting saws #1 and #2 out of the tree when their bars get pinched :D

I don't use the biggest saw (Husqvarna 365 Special) very much and don't even know why I take it with me but I drag it along in just case I do need it. I just got a Husqvarna 540XP for smaller stuff so I drag that along too. Most of the time I just use the Husqvarna 350

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Saw #2 is for getting saw #1 out of the tree when the bar gets pinched.. Saw #3 is for getting saws #1 and #2 out of the tree when their bars get pinched :D
I personally know someone very, very well that did that as a youngster!!!!!:eek::eek:

Lacking a Saw #3 I, I mean he, had to take a long tractor ride for another chain and bar so Saw #2 could have another bar/chain.....I, I mean he, wasn't having a good day........:eek::eek::eek:

Lesson learned.......

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I don't use the biggest saw (Husqvarna 365 Special) very much and don't even know why I take it with me but I drag it along in just case I do need it. I just got a Husqvarna 540XP for smaller stuff so I drag that along too. Most of the time I just use the Husqvarna 350
Gotcha. I'm still a 30+ yr old McCullough Pro Mac 650 with 16" bar- also used to have a little 10" McCullough for limbing, but I loaned it to the FIL, who promptly destroyed it in one day. Lesson learned.

drueke

Equipment
BX2370
Hey! Something I can relate to!

"saw #2 is for getting saw #1 out of the tree when the bar gets pinched.."

I did that myself about 6 weeks ago but I cut the handle and the bar oil tank of saw #1 with saw #2 while freeing it up.http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

Ordered the parts and fixed it myself. Pleased as heck as I'm not that mechanically inclined in mechanical fixes. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif I know, I know I'm not too cool just about destroying saw #1.

Anyway, its REAL NICE to know others here do some dumb things once in a while.

Ray.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I did that myself about 6 weeks ago but I cut the handle and the bar oil tank of saw #1 with saw #2 while freeing it up.

Ray.
Ray - ouch!

I was 20 or so when I hung up the 2 saws - I was experienced with a saw, but probably thinking about women or something.......my Dad still reminds me of it.:eek::eek::eek:

Odd part was I still remember that tree - a 2-stem soft maple that split and fell in a way that shook me up, and one side was a BIG corkscrew that hung the saws!!:eek:

Lesson still remembered...........

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a saw box that has all the thinks I need to cut wood. It includes the saw, bar oil, mixed gas, bar grease gun, wrench for nuts to remove chain, wedges, files. Also has an extra bar and chain.

All I have to do is remove the pinched bar and chain from the power head. Attach the other bar and chain and cut the pinched bar free. Don't need two saws.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Took down a red oak out back. Tree was twisted so bad during a tornado that it split in half. Could see daylight upwards to thirty feet threw the middle of it :eek: Saw #1 was my husqvarna, with the 18" bar. Saw #2 was pops 20" stihl. Had to go get the neighbor's 14" crafstman to retrieve both saws :eek:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Lol,Daren.had to borrow the lesser brand saw to liberate the two stuck good ones.
A few years back while cleaning up 1000+ trees after a heavy wet snowfall, one guy was cutting all the bound up trees at a 45 degree angle. Only one that never pinched his saw. Should use an axe to free saw. That way you learn never to pinch saw.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Worked a summer of weekends logging for a small sawmill in Heber Az when I was a lot younger. Got pretty good at dropping trees exactly where I planned. One tree in my cutting area was exactly halfway between two other trees that were about 12 ft apart, and had an obvious wicked twist in the trunk. Being a relative newb, I asked the old timer who owned the mill how to approach the cut. His advice was about what I would have done anyway, so I proceeded. What neither of us knew or could see, was that the tree had grown with it's branches touching the other trees, with a huge preload from the twist. Just as it began to fall, the tree hopped about 15" off to the side off it's stump, rotated 90 degrees, and dropped about 20" to the ground, all in about 1 second. I was clear when I started the cut, but the rotation brought a branch directly above my head, and when it dropped, it rang my bell & drove me to my knees. Thank god for hardhats. The tree didn't fall, & it took two of us about an hour to drop it. Been pretty leery of twisted trees ever since.:)