Carry all / ballast box fabrication

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Hello welders and fabricators. I want to weld up a carry all/ballast box that will attach to my adjustable cat 2 3 pt receiver hitch on a L6060. I've drawn a crude pic of what the base of the frame might look like. I'd use 2x2 square tube to fit into the lateral receivers as well as the option of tying into one of the center receivers. The cat 2 can lift approx 3000 lbs. What wall thickness of the tubing would be sufficient to safely carry that load? And would using the 2 lateral receivers be sufficient or should I tie into one of the central ones as well? Any gussets needed? Thanks in advance.

Best...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
2x2x.125 will work.
I'd cut/ pin 2x2x.125 into the 'receivers'.Make the 'outrigers' say 24" long,or however 'deep' you want the carryall to be.
Now make the ladder frame ( yellow),same 2x2x.125, weld that onto top of the 'outriggers' when IN the hitch, and allow to cool BEFORE removing.
My 'carryall' uses forklift forks,makes it super easy to pickup skids of this, skids of that, transport here, there, anywhere. skids are free and I double stack them. EASY to pickup and only bottom one rots.
Honestly, you should try using sections of 2x2 tubing as 'forks' and lift a few skids of stuff.It could be the quickest and easiest solution.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would plan to use the "Top-Center" receiver, so that you don't have to remove that "double ball" set up that you have going.

I think that I would go 1/4 inch wall....maybe 5/16....... just cause I like "over doing" things.....

Lots of very cool options to incorporate on a custom build.

One of my personal favorites is the " vise on a receiver' option.

I also used some 2x2 tubing and sliced it into sections and welded them on to carry shovels, rake...etc

Are you going to fill it with something or do you have "suit case weights" ?

20230221_092201[1].jpg

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Why manually mount the new carryall/ballast to your trailer mover? Leave the homestead implement as is, for a trailer mover . Since you are going to build something, just make the new carryall/ballast quick hitch compatible. You'll be able to swap them out fast enough with the quick hitch.

If you want to build both a carryall and have ballast; build it out of solid 2" bar. 🏁

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hello welders and fabricators. I want to weld up a carry all/ballast box that will attach to my adjustable cat 2 3 pt receiver hitch on a L6060. I've drawn a crude pic of what the base of the frame might look like. I'd use 2x2 square tube to fit into the lateral receivers as well as the option of tying into one of the center receivers. The cat 2 can lift approx 3000 lbs. What wall thickness of the tubing would be sufficient to safely carry that load? And would using the 2 lateral receivers be sufficient or should I tie into one of the central ones as well? Any gussets needed? Thanks in advance.

Best...
First failure mode would be shear and second would be bending. Shear is independent of the dimensions of your frame being a function of the cross-sectional area of the tube and the load. Bending is dependent on the dimensions of the frame (length front to back), tube cross section, the load and load distribution.

You'd have no problem with two or three tubes into receivers in terms of shear even with .083" wall thickness and using A500 steel, but bending would depend on how far out the frame extends. 2x2x.125 tubing that extends 12" rearward with the load evenly distributed along that 12" would be more than good with two tubes going into receivers. It's all fairly simple math and there are lots of online calculators to figure this stuff out. It would be a complete waste of money to use solid bar stock.

@Gaspasser, that is one stout looking quick hitch. Very cool.

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Thanks guys. A point of clarification. I took this pic from the Homestead implement website. I own the multi receiver hitch shown but not the quick hitch. If I cut and pin 2x2 tubes in each of the lateral receiver slots as Jay suggested, I will have a "pallet fork" type of arrangement. I can then fabricate different DIY attachments ( carry all box, ballast box, basic loader bucket, etc ) that could pin onto the "forks". I got the Homestead Pinnacle receiver hitch because it is heavy duty and cat 2. I have noted that Cat 2 devices are quite a bit more expensive than Cat 1, I assume it is because they are stronger and capable of harder work. I'd rather have an extra safety margin over Cat 1. Am I correct in this assumption or will Cat 1 implements suffice ( at lower cost) for most applications? As always, grateful for the great advice on this forum.

Best, Pete

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks guys. A point of clarification. I took this pic from the Homestead implement website. I own the multi receiver hitch shown but not the quick hitch. If I cut and pin 2x2 tubes in each of the lateral receiver slots as Jay suggested, I will have a "pallet fork" type of arrangement. I can then fabricate different DIY attachments ( carry all box, ballast box, basic loader bucket, etc ) that could pin onto the "forks". I got the Homestead Pinnacle receiver hitch because it is heavy duty and cat 2. I have noted that Cat 2 devices are quite a bit more expensive than Cat 1, I assume it is because they are stronger and capable of harder work. I'd rather have an extra safety margin over Cat 1. Am I correct in this assumption or will Cat 1 implements suffice ( at lower cost) for most applications? As always, grateful for the great advice on this forum.

Best, Pete
How long are you planning on making the "forks"? If you think about tongue weight load of a trailer and where it acts on the hitch (basically a point load), and how short the moment arm is, I'd look at the receiver tubes that the 2"x2" would slide into and make sure that they're strong enough for whatever you plan on picking up.

Quite a few implements offer CAT1 and CAT2 interfaces, particularly those sold by Everything Attachments and Land Pride. Everything from EA is beefy, but as Land Pride's model numbers increase (first two digits), the implements get more industrial and offer CAT 1 and CAT 2 connections. CAT 2 implements and even CAT 3 implements will typically be bigger, heavier and stronger.

Last edited:

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
How long are you planning on making the "forks"? Quite a few implements offer CAT1 and CAT2 interfaces, particularly those sold by Everything Attachments and Land Pride. Everything from EA is beefy, but as Land Pride's model numbers increase (first two digits), the implements get more industrial and offer CAT 1 and CAT 2 connections.
Only long enough for the carry all, ballast box, etc. 2-3 feet? I have a Land Pride FEL pallet fork (3000lbs capacity). But when I mount the front end snowblower, it is time consuming enough so I'll leave it on the front end for the season. Hence the thoughts regarding using the 3 pt hitch for implements. As for possible quick hitch choices, Pat's system any good?

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Only long enough for the carry all, ballast box, etc. 2-3 feet? I have a Land Pride FEL pallet fork (3000lbs capacity). But when I mount the front end snowblower, it is time consuming enough so I'll leave it on the front end for the season to leave on for the winter, hence the thoughts regarding using the 3 pt hitch for implements. As fir possible quick hitch choices, Pat's system any good?
Kind of like this.