BX25D: Need advice to finish chainsaw mount (Success!)

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I need help identifying this piece in the pictures below. I'm trying to finish a chainsaw mount. I tried to use click bond fasteners to avoid welding/drilling, but can't get the epoxy to hold on one of them so I'm moving on. So can anyone identify this? It appears to just be a support for the plastic "floorboard." But I'm not 100% sure. Should I drill it or weld it? Any reason I shouldn't do either? (Ignore the bolt sticking out in the second and third pictures--that's the click bond fastener that survived. Will be removed). I could also go to the frame, but I'd rather not. It's 1/4" thick and I'd rather not mess with the frame. The piece in question seems to be easily replaced if necessary.

Here's the piece I made ("fabbed" implies a level of skill that I don't have):

And here's what it will look like when finished (and did, until the epoxy failed):

Full disclosure: this project was inspired by Paul Short's chainsaw mount. I couldn't figure out how he did his, but this little piece seemed to be just begging for a chainsaw mount. I will also say that I have successfully used click bond fasteners on other projects. Nothing against the product, just not working for this project. If I had more surface area, the larger base/larger stud size fasteners would likely work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Re: BX25D: Need advice to finish chainsaw mount

Unfortunately, I need to build something like this too. I'm thinking about using the plastic chainsaw sheath, and making a slip in holster with a small plate to rest the base on

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
BX25D: Need advice to finish chainsaw mount

So just wanted to report back that this worked out! I used a lot more of the epoxy and it has held tight. I think I was going too easy on it. Has held fast for over a year now. I even mowed my very uneven ground several times with the saw in the saddle and no problems at all.

(You might notice my side mount chain box fell off... went too light on the click bond epoxy the first time around there too).

Oh and a new Stihl to replace the echo that was always a real chore to start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: