BX25D Changing HST and Front Axle

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
First time doing these fluids. I'd changed the HST filter back at 50 hours. 155 hours now and 2.5 years. I felt it was wise to change the HST and front axle.

I took the bucket (Quick release) and BH off to make it less cumbersome. I also remove the BXExpanded skidplate. I cleaned off all areas around fill ports and drain bolts.

I had a large drain pail but a little too tall to get under 'Wally'. No problem, I jacked it up, put some wood blocks under all four in the garage. Perfect. 27mm socket on the drain plug, off, and the fluid drained. Removed the dip stick filler plug. Ezy-peazy. Once the fluid stopped, I put the drain plug back in and removed the 12mm bolt retaining the strainer. It would not budge. Hmmmm A pair of channel locks to 'break the paint 'seal'. Out it came. First time I've removed it, it was clean, just a couple of little bits of sealant. Cleaned it off and reinstalled it. Fluid in the drain pail was a little brown but no apparent contaminants. Change the filter. Refilled with 3 gallons and 1/2 quart. I did not spill a drop!:)

Off to the front axle. Removed the right side drain, popped out the dipstick/filler cap. Still no spills. When the dripping stopped, I put the drain bolt back in and did the left. When the dripping stopped, I put the plug back in. Started to refill. I got about 90% of the gallon in and OVERFLOW!!!!!:eek: Crap. Seems I forgot to remove a vent. I removed the vent from the right side, the fluid level dropped and I went on my merry way. I started with the final quart and OVERFLOW!!!!:eek: Crap. Seems I failed to remove the vent from the left side as well. I probably spilled 1/2 of a quart of SUDT-2 on the floor. Well, with both vents removed, all the rest of the fluid went in. Even though I spilled a fair amount, it still read 'Full' on the dip stick, it makes me wonder if all did not escape when draining.

I did not notice and change in sound as so many report though I am a little deaf at certain frequencies (mostly when my wife is speaking).

I hate getting old. All cleaned up, bucket back on, BH back on and the mess cleaned up. Until next time.:cool: