BX25D BH removal and storage Outside

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Do you live near a Harbor Freight? If so, pick up one of their portable garages. Use one of those 20% off coupons and get it for under $150.
I have two (one houses my tractor) and I've been pleasantly surprised by their build quality. I also covered mine with an additional roof using a recycled billboard (read "giant-assed tarp"). Two years in and no complaints... though this is only until I can build a proper barn. :cool:

On the BH topic, I recently had a strange problem. I needed to remove mine but only for a short time (to do some quick blade work). When I took it off, it seemed easier to leave it suspended in "mid air" by the bucket and outriggers... seemed like a good idea to help the alignment when I went to reinstall it.
A few hours goes by and I tried to mount it but the hoses would not reconnect. Apparently it got into some sort of pressure lock which preventing the hose valves from opening. I carefully tried relieving pressure by moving the controls... while it stood off the ground; definitely made me leery.
The only way I could relieve the pressure was to lift the hoe totally off the ground using the loader and a tow strap, really moved the BH controls around, and finally the pressure broke free.
My takeaway from this was to never leave the hoe "free standing" for any length of time. Not only is it potentially dangerous (sudden pressure drop and it could topple), it also seems to piss off the hydraulic system. From now on I'll take the time to rest its weight on the frame. Any time savings I may have gained by keeping it at the "unmounted height" was quickly lost when I had to screw around with getting the pressure released... and it felt damn dangerous messing with it while suspended from the loader!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Funny you should mention the HF fabric 'Quonset huts. I was thinking about one of them and not putting the front or back panels on so it can breath. They are light enough to easily move. I had a similar thing many years back when a home I was renting had no garage and I wanted one for the motorcycles. It was great except too much humidity (and this was on pavement).

My wife had suggested a carport but I hated the idea of spending a grand for something I hope would be real temporary ("honey, help get the tarp on and off.....too bad I cannot jet drive n a garage....watch the puddle on the tarp!!!!")

A bunch of people mentioned 'the sag'. It makes sense some of the hoses would then build up pressure. I think it is key to get the BH center to rest on some sort of support and then the boom and outriggers just prevent falling side to side, front to back. AFAIK, to relieve the pressure, you have to depress the ball in the end of the hose, wearing safety goggles and cover the hose end with a rag. Too bad there is not simply a 'catch can' with a series of spring loaded valves to permit pressure bleed off.

Anyone find running a strap around the outriggers and the boom to prevent spreading makes a difference?

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
You will want to put a strap or tie off the outriggers. they will go down just sitting there, and you don't want it to tip over. It takes up much less room with the legs up anyway. IMG_2310.jpg

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Nice picture, that helps a lot.

How stable is it just sitting on that platform? Meaning is there much risk of it falling over? I can see using a few cement blocks and 2) 2X8X6' planks (screwed together) so the base and the bucket are on the same plane.

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
I have the same issue with having to store outside and uneven ground.
Solution #1 = Level the ground!
We have machines for that, don't we? At least level enough for your machine and your attachment when lining them up.
Solution #2 = Pallets.
I set all my implements on free, used pallets. Made blocking and cribbing to support everything from....? Pallets. Hack em up, nail em back together in the size and shape you need, and voila! The only thing not on a pallet is my PHD which is hanging on a chain from a tree.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Bearskinner, looks like you don't have either of the big pins in for the boom, while resting. Just for safety, I put them in, not sure where the hoe would sag too, months later??

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Nice picture, that helps a lot.

How stable is it just sitting on that platform? Meaning is there much risk of it falling over? I can see using a few cement blocks and 2) 2X8X6' planks (screwed together) so the base and the bucket are on the same plane.[/QUOT

It is very stable with one pin in and one out. I push it all over the shop, and I don't think I could knock it over if I tried. I had both pins in, but it rocked a little, with the frame mount section flat on the base, and the hoe arm released, leaning foward sitting flat on the hoe bucket, it seems to be the most stable. I got one large and one small furniture dolly from HF, made a 2x4 base and screwed on some scrap OSB.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Bearskinner, looks like you don't have either of the big pins in for the boom, while resting. Just for safety, I put them in, not sure where the hoe would sag too, months later??
IMG_2586.jpg
heres a better pic of how flat it sits, and it very stable with the boom pin pulled, but the side pin installed.

If I was on a pallet with even just a piece of plywood it should sit just fine as long as the outriggers are tied up

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Bearskinner, that is sort of what I ended up with though I went all out and spent almost $30
4) 4" X 8" X 16 Solid concrete blocks
2) 2 X 8 X 8' pressure treated planks
1) 12 X 2 X 8' pressure treated 'deck railing spindle'
A bunch of 2" torx deck screws.

I cut the planks down to 6'. Took the left over, cut it in to two 16" long peices, screwed to the bottom of the planks on one end (BH bases side), leaving a 1" gap, making it 16" wide. Cut the 8' spindle to a series of 16" 'bars' screwed them to the bottom.

2 cement blocks under the base of the BH, 2 under the bucket. With my wood 'decking' separating and stabilizing is the plan.

Harbor Freight is getting the 'portable garages' in tomorrow, $180 and I have a 20% off coupon.

Once I have worn down the wife and she lets me build my 'utility building', I'll loose the cement blocks and just add a few casters to my creation

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Sign up online for harbor freight coupons and mailers. They were just advertising the carport a for $100.

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
They were just advertising the carport a for $100.
FWIW regarding features, there is quite a difference between their carport and garage products, thus the price difference. The extra $$$ for the full garage is money well spent, IMHO but of course it really comes down to what a person's needs are. If you want full protection from the weather, I'd go (and DID, twice) with the garage.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I got a 60727 'Portable Garage' today, full walls, $159.99
Tube framing is up today, really a two person job. Took three hours working by myself and the neighbors Yorkie. The BX and one implement and the FEL fit fine. I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can sweet talk them into swapping out the solid rear for a second zippered door. That way the BH can be stored right behind and drop off and hook up easy. Otherwise, I have to store in an alternate location and I'd rather not.

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
...see if I can sweet talk them into swapping out the solid rear for a second zippered door.
I was thinking exactly the same thing; wish that was on option, or maybe something one could buy separately.
I'd be really surprised if they want to cannibalize one of their kits by giving you another door. Let us know what they say if you ask.

When I put up my second one, I almost put that door on the my first garage to give one two doors, and the other garage nothing but solid sides where I could then just install a free standing framed man-door. I wouldn't be able to fit much through this smaller door, but this is used store smaller items anyway. I still may do this when I have time.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I tried to get a second door today.
Called Harbor Freight. Real nice guy. He told me they do not stock any parts, that if it is a warranty problem, the person is supposed to return the ENTIRE product and they will give you a new one. He told me he had put one together and he understood my pain and what I wanted. He told me Northern Tool sells the same building only it is 3' longer (but the same width and height), but same manufacturer.
So I called Northern Tool. Spoke to a very nice girl. She told me they send all warranty claims and parts requests to the manufacturer. ShelterLogic.
So... I called ShelterLogic. Spoke to a nice girl. Yes, they have the panel. $60, $16 shipping. Totals out to $76 to get a 'door'.
http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=98823184-9761-43eb-ba6e-9df80095b3e3

I ended up spending just about $220.00.

Framing is done, ground anchors in back 'door' on and the roof 98% on. Next week I'll have the new front door and will finish it up. 80 degrees in VA today. :)

Tractor with the BH fits in with about a foot of room in front and a foot in back. I am glad to be able to not have to spend the 10 minutes putting on the tarp after a use. It will be real nice once the snow (no, I do not want snow) falls and I do not have to first clean the snow off before I can plow the driveway.

Last edited:

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
Good work on the research! Thanks for posting the link; will have to consider that for my needs, too.

FWIW, since you mentioned the ground anchors, here's how I did mine. I have wind to contend with and I didn't want it blowing around so I concreted 4X4 in each corner and used ratchet straps to hold them down on the inside.

After this, as I mentioned before, I covered each garage with very heavy tarp (recycled billboard) and piled dirt on the excess tarp on either side of the garage. Mine literally don't move an inch! :D
And for snow load, I criss-crossed the roof truss tubes back and forth, and then diagonally with that white poly tape stuff... the cheap rope junk on a spool that they give you at Home Depot to tie your loads down with, etc. It's pretty strong and it just gives the roofs more ability to carry a load.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I just used the foot (or so) long screw into the earth anchors. Three screwed in all the way one hit a rock about 3/4's of the way in. Ha!
Nice job with the posts.!While we do have strong winds (occasional tornadoes) in the area, I live in a sort of a valley and the wind just whips the tops of the trees. I'm not out in the open like you are. My bigger worry is a tree falling on it though that is why I have insurance. ;)
The 2nd door will be here tomorrow. Mine is sitting on top of the 'dirt in the woods' so I will probably leave it open all the time as to not trap humidity in and cause mildew, only closing in the even of a windstorm or snow fall.
Your pictures clarified the attachment of the roof and wall ratchets straps to the pole. I was trying to figure out how was I supposed to get both inside..............

Last edited:

zippyslug31

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
Yeah I don't have much moisture to worry about; officially I'm in what is classified as "high desert" so it's pretty arid.

Glad my pics helped. Also if it helps further, if you look closely you can see where I'm supporting my "feet" of the poles with PT 2x10 boards cut to length. Just a little something to help those pole-ends float above the surface of the ground. I was finding that the narrow poles were just sinking into my sandy soil and I couldn't keep any good tension on my tie-downs. YMMV.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I know, "What's a Branson guy doing here?" Rest assured, I had a B7100 and sorely missed the community so I still lurk around.

As I understand it, Amsung makes the same backhoes for the Kubota so I'd say it's fair game, at least I could contribute to other BH76 owners.

This is how I stored my backhoe, it's 32" wide when stored and has zero hydraulic pressure. Nothing sags.

More pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Yeah I don't have much moisture to worry about; officially I'm in what is classified as "high desert" so it's pretty arid.

Glad my pics helped. Also if it helps further, if you look closely you can see where I'm supporting my "feet" of the poles with PT 2x10 boards cut to length. Just a little something to help those pole-ends float above the surface of the ground. I was finding that the narrow poles were just sinking into my sandy soil and I couldn't keep any good tension on my tie-downs. YMMV.
Double HA! I was thinking about getting a few pressure treated 2X4's and placing them between the feet and the soil to reduce constant contact with the wet ground.
My 'building' will not be rock solid to the ground, just attached enough to not blow over. I still want the Mrs. to sign off on building a utility building. It will be at least another year (just have to stash her gardening tools in the back of the other shed, behind the lawn tractor, lawn mower, tiller, pressure washer and wood chipper "Just move them out to get to what you want Sweetie.....")

Second door arrived yesterday. Looks absolutely identical to the one that came wit the HF unit.