BX25 Water in Fuel

RipTideWilly

Equipment
BX25 TLB, T2290KW
Sep 13, 2021
LI NY
I had my BX25 since 2010. It started during the spring and notice water in my fuel. I installed a water separator/filter combo R12T. It didn't solve my problem. After a few minutes of use the bucking begins.
I decide to completely drain tank and flush out with new fuel, change all filters and purge all lines and bleed.
Everything was looking great, nice clear diesel in the bowl. I was feeling pretty good. So I fired her up and got to work. Much to me demise it started happening again. No words for my grief. Instead of clear diesel in the bowl now it was cloudy again. I can't figure it out and almost ready to bring it o the dealer and get hosed literally.

So is it possible that water can creep in to fuel some other way maybe through the head?

Any ideas?
I'm thinking of purging everything again and this time run the return fuel line to a separate container and see how it looks.

Any help is greatly appreciated

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had my BX25 since 2010. It started during the spring and notice water in my fuel. I installed a water separator/filter combo R12T. It didn't solve my problem. After a few minutes of use the bucking begins.
I decide to completely drain tank and flush out with new fuel, change all filters and purge all lines and bleed.
Everything was looking great, nice clear diesel in the bowl. I was feeling pretty good. So I fired her up and got to work. Much to me demise it started happening again. No words for my grief. Instead of clear diesel in the bowl now it was cloudy again. I can't figure it out and almost ready to bring it o the dealer and get hosed literally.

So is it possible that water can creep in to fuel some other way maybe through the head?

Any ideas?
I'm thinking of purging everything again and this time run the return fuel line to a separate container and see how it looks.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Yea the tractor is not making or putting water in the fuel.
Either your putting it in it, it's trapped in the tank, or there is a breach in the tank and water is getting in.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like you bought waterlogged diesel.
'flushed out with diesel',filled with same diesel, still have water problems.....
If you store the tractor in a shed,out of the rain then the water HAS to be IN the diesel.

I'd drain out all the diesel,toss a gallon of winter windshield fluid in tank, drain that, then use low pressure air through bent nozzle/wand' to force any remaining fluid out of the tank, replace all the filters of course. Now fill tank with fresh diesel, prime the inj pump, heat the plugs, start her up.
ALL the jugs of OLD diesel...use to start fires, do NOT put back into the tank !!! I put 3 gallons of 'clear' diesel into a clear plastic water bottle, it sat for a week, 1/2" of WATER on the bottom.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
4 roger on a different supplier ! Water in the fuel or hole inthe tank letting water in, thats the only way it can get in. My money goes to water inthe fuel, if the station does not sell a lot of diesel that can and does happen.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
checking water in diesel is easy..
drain a quart off into a glass jar, place on shelf,look at it 24hrs later...
diesel floats on water.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I went down a similar road about 20 years ago. In my case it was dirty off road fuel, bought from a place that obviously did not sell much.

After changing my fuel filter, and changing to sources that were dependable and sold a lot of fuel, have not had an issue since. Still have the extra fuel filter that I bought at the time.

I guess after 20 years I should change the filter I suppose...LOL but true.

Get your fuel from a place that is reputable and sells a lot, like others have said above. World of difference...

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
...So is it possible that water can creep in to fuel some other way maybe through the head?...

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated
Many of these guys are experts, I am not, but no one addressed your specific question re water somehow entering fuel system from a leaky head (gasket?). Not that I can think of. Contaminated fuel is just about the only thing possible if you are not parking out in the weather. You will most certainly get water in engine oil, depending on several factors/circumstances, but I've never heard of oil or water getting into fuel systems. Guys and gals,,, any comments?