BX24 starts and dies

energyrick

Equipment
BX24 TLB
Feb 11, 2016
Northwest Florida
I have a BX24 with about 300 hrs. I used it on Monday digging a stump in the backyard which is downhill from my house. I finished and parked it in the garage as I usually do. I had 1/4 tank and I may have raised the backend off the ground a couple of times and the hill is steep. It all ran perfectly fine. I tried to start it today (Thursday) and it will start briefly very rough and go dead. I repeated this thinking I may have gotten air in the line. I repeated this until the battery began to weaken. The longest it would stay running is about 30 seconds. Usually about a second. Rough and smokey. I just picked up fresh diesel and a filter. I can hear the pump come on with the key and the solenoid close when I turn it off. It's cold but Florida. I let the glow plug heat for about 10 or 15 seconds.

It's time for a service but I really need it right now and for about another week. Any ideas to get me up a running?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You do know there is 2 filters one before the electric pump and one after. ;)
Also do not overlook the air filter, that will have the same effect.

If there is any chance you have bad fuel that will cause issues too. :(

energyrick

Equipment
BX24 TLB
Feb 11, 2016
Northwest Florida
Thanks Wolf. I had prayed for an air problem but the filters don't look that bad to change. I didn't see but one but I can track the other down. Thanks for your time and experience.

kirk1870

Equipment
BX1870 loader mmm Haban snowplow
Feb 11, 2016
Chelsea Mi
I was just in central west Florida sunday night, and it is cold enough at night to jell Number 2 diesel.
I live in Michigan and have jelled N2 diesel in the same conditions on my BX.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Fuel, fuel and more fuel.......

how old is fuel? Summer blend? YOU said new fuel.......mmm, is IT bad?
Like wolf said - the OTHER fuel filter - the one that is a beeeeauch to get to, it NEEDS to be replaced.......

replace filter , and then turn key for 30 seconds, fuel pump will pump and should pump air out, the hit key and see if it will run. If I am not mistaken, on the BX - engaging the pump and allowing it to "pump" for 30 secs bleeds the system without cracking a bolt/nut/injector

energyrick

Equipment
BX24 TLB
Feb 11, 2016
Northwest Florida
Ha ha. I would have expected no less. It happens to be sitting closely between a '68 firebird convertible and a bunch of equipment. A belly crawl will be required. This is just penance for past sins. I'll get to it in the morning. My thanks to the forum.

I see you have a 7100. I've used one since '93 and believe it to be almost indestructible.

energyrick

Equipment
BX24 TLB
Feb 11, 2016
Northwest Florida
I changed fuel and air filters this morning and I'm still having the same problem. It took a very long time to get the filter near the engine full of fuel. I actually never saw it get completely full. I'll check the fuel flow at the engine. Then I'll drain the tank. That looks to be awful. The filters weren't taht bad because I don't have a skid plate.

davesears43

Dec 1, 2014
Hubert, NC
In my BX2350, I had gunk that settled in the bottom of the tank where the fuel line connects. I think it was the paint/coating from the fuel sending unit. Cleared it with compressed air from the fuel line at the first filter. Hasn't happened again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

energyrick

Equipment
BX24 TLB
Feb 11, 2016
Northwest Florida
Well I have no fuel at the injector pump. The pump sounds as if it were working but I will check that next. Nothing like spreading a project out over a couple of days! I can check the fuel before the fuel pump and that should narrow it down further. With new filters and no fuel I have to be getting close.

Can I blow directly from the bottom fuel filter back to the tank with compressed air?

davesears43

Dec 1, 2014
Hubert, NC
With the air, as I recall, it only took a small burst, and not full force. I loosened the fuel cap a bit, and did not blow it through the filter. I had a small pail under there to catch any fuel and when it started flowing I crimped the line off until I reconnected the filter with a small pair of vicegrips. Whatever was dislodged has not resettled over the tank outlet in over a year.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

bam

Equipment
BX - 2350 Front End Loader, Mowing Deck, Rear Ag Blade.
Aug 6, 2016
Elliston, Virginia
Hello,
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone. I am a newbie here. I have searched but have been not looking in the right place probably. Do you know if I have to use Kubota's fuel filters or can I can a generic one at a auto parts store?

bam

Equipment
BX - 2350 Front End Loader, Mowing Deck, Rear Ag Blade.
Aug 6, 2016
Elliston, Virginia
Thank you sir for your service to our country !!! Thank you for sharing your knowledge here with us too.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Hello,
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone. I am a newbie here. I have searched but have been not looking in the right place probably. Do you know if I have to use Kubota's fuel filters or can I can a generic one at a auto parts store?
I would not trust an auto parts store - they will just try to sell you wahatever they have in stock.

Get the correct filter. Messicks and Coleman Equipment are good on-line Kubota parts suppliers. The PN for the BX2350 filter is 66103-58330.

http://www.messicks.com/part/66103-58330/band-filter-fue

Bx24dave

Dec 9, 2013
St. John's, NL
My bx 24 was operating poorly and when i checked the flow from the tank there was only a dribble. Quick shot of compressed air back into the tank opened the flow completely. My worry is how to clean the crap thats now in my tank. Im going to monitor it for a few months.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My bx 24 was operating poorly and when i checked the flow from the tank there was only a dribble. Quick shot of compressed air back into the tank opened the flow completely. My worry is how to clean the crap thats now in my tank. Im going to monitor it for a few months.
BX24 Dave

When you are dealing with diesel in cold weather, the risks of what I am going to propose to you are minimal if done outside.

Never on gasoline tanks

Use a shop vac with an intermediate container to catch all the crud and not mess up your shop vac, often done to clean up drywall dust but would work equally well with liquids.

Doing an oil change on a boat with an inboard engine is done using suction as well.

You can buy a hand suction pump for $17 if you don't want to use your friend's shop vac.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/gas-oil-extractor/A-p8469512e

You probably blew a path through the crud at the bottom of your tank and it is not going away and will return to haunt you when you least need the aggravation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6I7IXEgVmQ

Dave M7040