BX24 start issues

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
First let me say I don't know if it is an issue or not. I am in no way a mechanic.

When I first bought my Bota it would start with the throttle in the idle position. Now I need to open the throttle a bit regardless of the temperature. Once running it will idle just fine.

Do I have an issue pertaining to this situation with my BX24 (I know I have many other issues :D )

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Will extra glow time help this situation?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Depending on how your bx fuel delivery operates, pausing with the key in the run position briefly may allow fuel to move along better for starting. Both of my ZD mowers have a small 12v lift pump between 2 inline filters (I have since altered the filtration). The lift pump starts pumping fuel as soon as the key hits the run position (before glow plugs).
Your change in starting characteristics may indicate a filter needs changing.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I had the same problem and it was caused by the fuel solenoid linkage sticking. Before starting try moving the throttle to 1/2 and then back to idle. If it then starts at idle, clean and lubricate the solenoid linkage.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I had the same problem and it was caused by the fuel solenoid linkage sticking. Before starting try moving the throttle to 1/2 and then back to idle. If it then starts at idle, clean and lubricate the solenoid linkage.
I did that and what do you know...It started normally :D
Thank you for getting me closer to fixing it.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Thanks for the reply. If you need help, in a couple of days I can take a picture of the linkage you need to lubricate.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Here are a couple of pictures of the fuel shutoff solenoid. It is located on the left side just in front of the radiator. When you have the hood open if you reach across and move the throttle you can see how the throttle linkage moves. To move the solenoid linkage push in on the linkage where I have it marked on the picture. When you turn the key off, or one of the interlocks operates, the solenoid energizes and shuts off the fuel. I would clean the linkage pivot points and contact points with WD40. The WD40 is not a lubricant and will evaporate in about an hour. Then you can lubricate with oil, or if it is really dusty a dry spray on lubricant.

Attachments