BX23S Starter engaging while running

Harold Youngblood

Equipment
Bx23S
Sep 24, 2023
Northwest Louisiana
My Bx23s , 2020 with~500 hours started squealing intermittently a few days ago. I thought I had a stick hung in the fly wheel. It turned out that my starter was engaging while working the tractor. I smoked the starter commutator. I replaced the starter. Running around 2500 rpm I can bounce or move the tractor, the starter engages. I’m waiting for a Service manual to understand starter circuit. I’ve tried wiggling harness from switch to starter to no avail. Is the starter relay the 4 prong that is direction mount sensitive and shrink wrapped?
(12.8 volts and 13.8 running) all other electrical components operating normally.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I doubt there being an electrical but you should be thankful if it is because the other possability is far more serious. If you have a fel,backhoe or blade something may be broke or bent in the vacinity of flywheel allowing things to move around enough to engage starter. While lifting/pulling and pushing,look for flex or movement around rear of engine and at starter.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The basic starter circuit is pretty simple. If all the safeties are satisfied when you turn the key the starter engages. Normally when you're running all these are not satisfied so turning the key shouldn't activate the starter. The key switch energizes a solenoid (a really heavy relay) which in turn feeds the starter. Are you getting power to the solenoid somehow without the key? Is the solenoid activating on its own?

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
You need two safety switches (Interlocks) to complete the start circuit. (To go from start to run you need the other safety switches.). HST pedal .. Neutral (ON) and the Independent PTO lever is disengaged..(ON). The start switch sends the current to the two interlocks which need to be ON and then current will go to the start relay then to the start solenoid.
If you’re moving and/or PTO is engaged then under normal conditions the start circuit is disabled. I’d recommend checking the start relay first and then wiring. The start switch would need the failure of two safety switches before current would reach the start relay.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
You need two safety switches (Interlocks) to complete the start circuit. (To go from start to run you need the other safety switches.). HST pedal .. Neutral (ON) and the Independent PTO lever is disengaged..(ON). The start switch sends the current to the two interlocks which need to be ON and then current will go to the start relay then to the start solenoid.
If you’re moving and/or PTO is engaged then under normal conditions the start circuit is disabled. I’d recommend checking the start relay first and then wiring. The start switch would need the failure of two safety switches before current would reach the start relay.
Excellent Information.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

this may or may not help

edit: meant to link that thread, not that specific post.

Harold Youngblood

Equipment
Bx23S
Sep 24, 2023
Northwest Louisiana
I doubt there being an electrical but you should be thankful if it is because the other possability is far more serious. If you have a fel,backhoe or blade something may be broke or bent in the vacinity of flywheel allowing things to move around enough to engage starter. While lifting/pulling and pushing,look for flex or movement around rear of engine and at starter.
I will check that. Thank You

Harold Youngblood

Equipment
Bx23S
Sep 24, 2023
Northwest Louisiana
The basic starter circuit is pretty simple. If all the safeties are satisfied when you turn the key the starter engages. Normally when you're running all these are not satisfied so turning the key shouldn't activate the starter. The key switch energizes a solenoid (a really heavy relay) which in turn feeds the starter. Are you getting power to the solenoid somehow without the key? Is the solenoid activating on its own?
I suspect the solenoid is getting power but it will only do it when it is running. I can’t hear it engage over the engine noise. I just here the high pitch from the starter speed. The relay may have a loose piece in it. I got one coming just in case.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
If your mechanically inclined you can remove the key switch and take it apart . It's plastic so it clips together. Just be aware that there are small springs inside so don't lose them . Once apart check to make sure that none of the copper contacts are broken and maybe shorting against each other causing the starter contact to energize . I suspect your switch it bad inside. BTW I've used copper from copper plumbing pipe cut to proper width / length to refurbish the switch on one that I used to own.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas

this may or may not help

edit: meant to link that thread, not that specific post.
I'm glad you came back for the edit, I was about to question your qualifications. 😂

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
disconnect the control wire at the starter, put test light on it, if there's 12v then ignition switch is faulty

Harold Youngblood

Equipment
Bx23S
Sep 24, 2023
Northwest Louisiana
My Bx23s , 2020 with~500 hours started squealing intermittently a few days ago. I thought I had a stick hung in the fly wheel. It turned out that my starter was engaging while working the tractor. I smoked the starter commutator. I replaced the starter. Running around 2500 rpm I can bounce or move the tractor, the starter engages. I’m waiting for a Service manual to understand starter circuit. I’ve tried wiggling harness from switch to starter to no avail. Is the starter relay the 4 prong that is direction mount sensitive and shrink wrapped?
(12.8 volts and 13.8 running) all other electrical components operating normally.
I thank each of you for your time and replies. It ended up being the Starter relay under the dash A2F1CSQ CIT RELAY. I am back in business. I just wish that it would have failed open instead of frying my starter. They don't give them away. $$

Robert Konkel

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
May 22, 2024
Alabama
MINE IS DOING THE SAME THING !

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
MINE IS DOING THE SAME THING !
Welcome aboard Robert. We can take your problem form here but going foward (YOU DO PLAN TO HANG AROUND?) start a new thread for future problems,its free and always works out better.

Read post #2 then unplug start wire from solinoid each time after starting engine and leave it unplugged until engine is turned off. Make sure to tape and/or place wire where it can't bounce around and short while disconnected. If starter still engages while wire is disconnected, read post #2 again and give us an update. To ascertain something electrical is at fault you can put a test light on disconnected wire while tractor is in use. If light flickers or comes on you know the problem is electrical,likly switch.