BX23S front tires vs. cactus

flesheatingvirus

Equipment
BX-23S
Sep 30, 2023
NM
I have lots of tree cactus (AKA Satan in plant form) in my yard, and have already had one front tire patched. Now it is leaking again AS IS the other front tire.

Any recommendations for new front tires that would hold up a bit better to these damn spines?

The rears seem to be holding up just fine.

IMG_5675.jpeg

IMG_5676.jpeg

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I don’t have any experience with cactus and tires, but I would think either a puncture sealant or better yet fill with foam. Maybe look into foam? Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I don’t have any experience with cactus and tires, but I would think either a puncture sealant or better yet fill with foam. Maybe look into foam? Good luck.
Sensible choices, considering.

Nip it in the bud before the tires get an infection and fester. Next thing you know you'll be seeing the Doctire 🫢

Reactions: 1 users

flesheatingvirus

Equipment
BX-23S
Sep 30, 2023
NM
Liking the foam idea. I'll have to see what shops in my area may do that. I always thought of the slime as more of a temporary fix.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Be prepared for a rougher ride. Foam filled tires are pretty stiff.

Reactions: 1 user

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Tubeless and sealant. The sealant available from tire shop will generally be much better over the long term.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not sure what package they are using now but I put one 32 ounce bottle in the front Ag tires on my L185 and also the rear tires on the MTD (Cub Cadet) lawn mower.

They have a tube that comes out that fits over the threaded section of the valve stem. You remove the core and squeeze it into the tire.

Slow leaks from dry rot and cactus and mesquite thorns have stopped completely

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Get a land plane and rip those things out of the ground!
Really bad idea for cactus…you would just be multiplying the cactus.

Or you could pick up every single piece of every single plant after dragging them around for a while and then do it again and again.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I had cholla and prickly pear cactus on my land 18 years ago. I removed them all, put them in burn piles and burned them in the winter. Annually I go on cactus patrol and dig up any small cactus that I find. I did this on 20 acres and now it’s a beautiful grass land. I also destroyed my front tires in the process and had to replace them.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Really bad idea for cactus…you would just be multiplying the cactus.

Or you could pick up every single piece of every single plant after dragging them around for a while and then do it again and again.
Your bucket can’t get deep enough to get most of the roots?

Harold Youngblood

Equipment
Bx23S
Sep 24, 2023
Northwest Louisiana
I have lots of tree cactus (AKA Satan in plant form) in my yard, and have already had one front tire patched. Now it is leaking again AS IS the other front tire.

Any recommendations for new front tires that would hold up a bit better to these damn spines?

The rears seem to be holding up just fine.

View attachment 112908
View attachment 112909
I pumped industrial sealant in mine. I think I got it from TS. It is pink rather than green like slime. I have locust Thorn trees and they do fine. I have used it in other machines and the rims haven't been corroding.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Your bucket can’t get deep enough to get most of the roots?
The suggestion was to use a land plane. Which to me would not be digging very deep and would be breaking the cactus into small sections and then planting them.

I’m sure you could use a front end loader to help get the plant into and you could dig up the roots with the bucket also. But then you have a bucket of dirt and cactus mix to deal with. Cactus will root just laying on top of soil, so dumping a bucket mixture would plat the cactus again.

The roots are shallow enough that you can easily dig them out by hand (and throw them into the tractor bucket)

Cactus are designed to break apart and each piece will then be a separate plant

Here is a link to a way to eradicate prickly pear cactus. It probably would not work in a sandy (desert) soil.