BX23S Engine Losing Power

tsp159

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 8, 2023
Fort Bend Texas
Well, I found the problem and I'm guessing this is probably a first for most of you.

Knowing the tank was plugged, I cut an inspection/clean-out port just over the fuel sump. This involved carefully cutting a 1-1/2" hole with an exacto, which took a while. The following pic (after debris removal) is the hole plugged with rubber compression plug found at Menards for ~$3.00. After filling, it doesn't leak at all, so this is a good alternative to the 8 hours+ or so it would take to pull the tank.

View attachment 114417

Early last summer, I made a couple passes around the yard after refueling and forgetting to put on the fuel cap. Apparently, I must have brushed by the pear tree as the following pic shows what I found inside. Of all the damned places for a pear/branch to fall, where does it go? A swish shot right into the tank that would have impressed Michael Jordan. No surprise, however, as I've known for years where I fall on the bell curve of fate.

View attachment 114418

Anyway, after pumping the tank nearly dry, I was able to suction all this crap out of the tank with pump and various grabby tools. Refilled with about 1/2 gallon of diesel and repeated the suction. Small pen light showed nothing of any concern left in the sump, though I fully expect to have to replace the first fuel filter again. Not a big deal as I now know how to do that quickly.

I'm sure when I mowed without the cap, I was filling the tank got waylaid with someone else's problem for an hour or so and forgot the cap, as I have never done that before. While this remedy was certainly faster than pulling the tank, I have learned that from now on, I don't care if the house is on fire ... I will not stop the refuel until the cap is back on.

Also probably wouldn't hurt to make some sort of micro-filter insert for the filler hole in the tanks as well.
You've got half a forest in that tank! Wow! :oops:

Glad you were able to figure it out.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Here is one thread on using a strainer:

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
This is exactly what is happening with my BX1850. When I pull the fuel line before the engine (the line between the second fuel filer and the engine) and turn the key to On, it shoots out and then drips out. I replaced both fuel filters and the same results. Before I go cutting into my tank or attempting to remove the tank, should I check to see if its the fuel pump? I have about 900 hour on her.
Good plan to check other things first. If you conclude your tank is plugged, I can say the most difficult part was cutting an accurate hole.

Cutting the hole:
I took an accurate measurement of the compression plug when it was relaxed, then scribed a hole pattern that was about 0.05" larger. I then carefully used an exactor and just stuck with it until I had it out, being careful not to let the cut-out fall into the tank ;) I will say I could have cut it an in or so more aft to get it more over the sump.

Pumping:
Once you have the hole, it's then easy to pump out the fuel through the hole, placing the pump inlet hose as close as possible to the sump. Once you have it down to about 1/2 gallon, blow some air into the fuel line to loosen any blockage, then immediate pump out the remaining fuel. You can repeat this with a clean 1/2 gallon of fuel as often as needed and inspect the inside of the tank with a pen light.

Good luck.