BX2380 - Cold Engine temperature

68Mustang

Equipment
BX2380, LA344, RCK60B-23BX, K51-20-06, BB1248
Mar 28, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This is my first winter with my Kubota, been very pleased so far.

Now that colder weather is here -4C or 24F today, I have noticed that the temperature gauge barely moves. This concerns me as we regularly see -30C or -22F. During summer operation the gauge would move to pretty much the same spot and all was good.

Are these engines prone to stuck thermostats?

Does anyone make fitted insulating blankets or do you block the rad on colder days?

I did a search of the forums and couldn't find any info - also haven't talked to dealer yet.

Thanks for your assistance!

Fred

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I'd verify the thermostat hasn't failed open before looking at other solutions. I've owned several tractors and they all achieve normal operating condition regardless of how cold it became.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Diesel engines are thermally efficient so I don’t think you have an issue with the thermostat. You may need to block part of the radiator or most of it in your area when it gets really cold to get it to heat up.

Im sure you see diesel trucks up there with some sort of shield covering the grill and its to reduce the airflow so they can get up to temp. Guy here (bird dogger) made some nice covers for the larger B series tractors to help with this.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40241

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I've found covering the air screen below the steering wheel with plastic helps reduce air flow enough in cold temps (less than 20F) to allow the engine to operate at a more consistent (warmer) temperature.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
This is my first winter with my Kubota, been very pleased so far.

Now that colder weather is here -4C or 24F today, I have noticed that the temperature gauge barely moves. This concerns me as we regularly see -30C or -22F. During summer operation the gauge would move to pretty much the same spot and all was good.

Are these engines prone to stuck thermostats?

Does anyone make fitted insulating blankets or do you block the rad on colder days?

I did a search of the forums and couldn't find any info - also haven't talked to dealer yet.

Thanks for your assistance!

Fred
Diesel engines have variable peak temperatures so idling them to warm them up doesn't work too well since the idle peak temperature is so low. If you are not working your tractor than it will take a long time to warm up.

Start the tractor let it idle until all the clattering and misfiring (if any) stops, verify oil pressure, and operate at no more than half throttle until you see the temperature start to increase. I use a block heater for two hours before start up for easier starts in temperatures below 40°F. Most of my no-glow plug tractors will start at lower than 40F but it's a lot easier on the bearings and battery to have the block heater on for two hours prior to starting.

68Mustang

Equipment
BX2380, LA344, RCK60B-23BX, K51-20-06, BB1248
Mar 28, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the advice - guess I will wait for a good snowfall so I can make it work with the Snow Blower and see what happens.

Those fitted blankets sure looked nice - maybe I need to learn how to sew.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
I pulled the screen out.... Measured it, cut a piece of cardboard (hard plastic would be a better choice) placed the cardboard in the screen, then put it back where it belongs.
Now the tractor will warm up. Used it all last winter.... The only thing you have to do is REMEMBER it is there in the spring time :rolleyes:

Now re-reading what I posted.... just to be clear: you do nothing to the protective radiator screen.... other than place something in front of it to block the air.

Last edited:

GordonE

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 21, 2017
Carleton Place ont canada
I own a BX2380 and have used it for 2 winters now. The temperature gauge stays on the very low side of the range in the winter even after an hour of snow work. I mainly use a rear 3pt 5ft blade and sometimes the bucket. Throtle is around 2200 for this work and provides more than enough power.

I have not used a snow blower but would imagine that the temperature would be higher with one.

I do use a block heater for at least a 1/2 hour before starting although my garage does not go much below 0 Celsius even if it is -30 outside.